PS Rewired now has a custom server as well

Richtoon

34 minutes ago, jayofmaya said:

I guess guilty until proven innocent is going to be the case for these games. I plan on playing through Killzone 2 to Rank up legitimately. If I get removed from leaderboards, so be it.

That's just asking to be banned seeing as killzone 2 servers shutdown in March 2018

On 11/01/2023 at 10:17 PM, Lance_87 said:

I would only play online to unlock the remaining cars/skins tied to... guess what, online trophies. Nevermind. -_- *facepalm*

This is by far the most stupid thing about this game. Trophies should never be tied to anything in game, they are and always have been extra objectives.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GabrielMS13 said:

This is by far the most stupid thing about this game. Trophies should never be tied to anything in game, they are and always have been extra objectives.

Apocalypse is even worse. All customization was tied to ranks/levels, and ranks/levels could be gained exclusively by playing ONLINE (i did it in online splitscreen alone with two controllers and was even forced to use my old router, NEVER AGAIN lol)

In Pacific Rift there was even a special Monster Truck vehicled tied to the Platinum (the Atlas Earthquake), hopefully it is still obtainable due to glitches introduced by one of the DLC packs. For me, i think it was unlocked because i unlocked at least 49 singleplayer/offline trophies including some of the DLC ones. I purchased that game long after the closure, and played exclusively offline, just for fun.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

All customization was tied to ranks/levels, and ranks/levels could be gained exclusively by playing ONLINE

That kind of put off me from playing Apocalypse tbh. I might get into it if there's a workaround.

45 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

In Pacific Rift there was even a special Monster Truck vehicled tied to the Platinum (the Atlas Earthquake), hopefully it is still obtainable due to glitches introduced by one of the DLC packs.

I remember I unlocked it halfway through the campaign and at the time I didn't even have the DLC packs. It's a bummer they introduced the save corruption bug, I could only play the DLC by earasing my save file and starting from scratch. Then I unlocked the Atlas Earthquake again lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ultraxian said:

That's just asking to be banned seeing as killzone 2 servers shutdown in March 2018

Hardly. I am really just going to play the game and complete my lists. If the site doesn't check into it, that's not my fault. A user has checked how it works and you have to earn your ranks legitimately to unlock this trophy and that seems to be more than any mod is doing. 

14 hours ago, GabrielMS13 said:

When it comes to online trophies, sure. Get rid of them all together, I vote. However, I am happy to get trophies for 100% game stories/side missions and enjoy it when they are tied to such progression. 

@ryuji_sakujo Great post and insight. I agree with all you said. Another thing I thought of is just any of the Psnprofiles team reaching out and asking these servers about the issue. You can't guarantee honesty, but they don't have much reason to lie. If a simple relationship is built, we could have a section of trusted Private Servers right here on the site and then those private servers would see an influx of new players in and out more regularly. That's a win for everyone, from what I see. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ConAir said:

When will we know if this method is approved? So many Trophies became unobtainable after the server shutdown.

When it meets the posted requirements of Custom Servers according to the Leaderboard rules and is posted there as an approved server. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richtoon said:

psnprofiles_meme.png

I understand your point, but custom servers can be messed up and people might have changed parameters. It would be unfair is someone revived Warhawk for example with a 5x XP permanent boost. The open source requirement is simply to have control if it's acting exactly like the original servers

Edited by EdinhoN
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

I understand your point, but custom servers can be messed up and people might have changed parameters. It would be unfair is someone revived Warhawk for example with a 5x XP permanent boost. The open source requirement is simply to have control if it's acting exactly like the original servers

It’s really not worth trying to explain to someone hell bent on using misinformation and logical fallacies as the foundation of their argument. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

As Ryuji wrote earlier you have absolutely no clue how a server is compiled even if it's open source as code can be added later by the developers or anyone else.

Using "open source" as some kind of metric value is a logical fallacy which you and others still don't seem to comprehend.

Strawmanning what I said doesn’t invalidate what I actually said and there’s no point in rehashing the same conversation with you. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Strawmanning what I said doesn’t invalidate what I actually said and there’s no point in rehashing the same conversation with you. 

Edinhon is implying that custom servers can be messed up and that open source servers act as original servers, which you are agreeing on.

There is no logical conclusion between having a custom server or an open source server.

You can not verify anything on a compiled server whether it's option 1 or 2.

That you're not able to argue against any of these points is already known to me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

The open source requirement is less about whether or not a server is compromised, and more about ensuring no one person or group has control over it, which is the entire premise of open source, as you point out. If someone makes a closed source but otherwise 1:1 clone to the original server, they can still turn it off. Open source allows the servers to be in the hands of the community to revive it again if necessary. The other concerns are of course important, which is why custom servers can be removed from fair play at any point. I do agree PSNP "official" custom servers are the best way to go, if someone's willing to do that and Sly gives the go ahead.

Allow me to provide context for the discussion. Concerning the open-source nature of these servers, most of those revived games are client hosted. The game files are local, and each connected player could be the potential lobby host. Essentially, their (specifically these revival communities) server stack – SCE-RT Medius SDK (the official network engine SDK used by developers) – exists as a means to provide an alternate route to match players; it mimics the official network. The only way for something to go awry is if one of the connected players, who happens to be the host, runs unsigned code. This happened in older titles such as World at War, Modern Warfare 2, and many others. Understandably, there will be hesitancy for games that are server hosted – many of which were not during that time – as there may be variables that can affect end-user experience.

It should be noted that the backend these projects rely on is actually open-source and readily available on GitHub. I believe you would have to make necessary changes – respective to that specific title – to what is currently available to allow other games to work, which requires reversing whatever the target game is. But the SDK is there. My mindset tends to trend towards an old saying, "smoke 'em if you got 'em." If it is currently available, let people do as they please. Sounds archaic and comes off as a free-for-all, but it beats the alternative.

2 hours ago, B1rvine said:

The open source requirement is less about whether or not a server is compromised, and more about ensuring no one person or group has control over it, which is the entire premise of open source, as you point out. If someone makes a closed source but otherwise 1:1 clone to the original server, they can still turn it off.

Possibiliter ergo probabiliter. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DaivRules said:

When it meets the posted requirements of Custom Servers according to the Leaderboard rules and is posted there as an approved server. 

Care to elaborate on what the requirements are?

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52663-what-constitutes-a-flag/

Can't find any mention of "open source", maybe I'm looking in the wrong post..

A friend of mine has the following concern:

"Anyone who uses an unapproved server deserves to be flagged, even if it meets all the criteria and/or is approved later. That should be stated explicitly in the post, but it's not."