This game did not age well

DonnieDunzos

This is my first Resident Evil game so I’ve decided to go in order. So far, I hate it. The game’s mechanics is just plain awful and frustrating.

First, requiring resources just to save? Oof, brutal. I could understand this makes gameplay more intense but you end up regretting the time wasted once you die. 

Then we have the limited inventory capacity. Only 6 item slots for Jill is complete sadism. The amount of items you need to collect to progress in the game makes you go back and forth to the inventory box — too tedious. 

Which leads to navigating the enemies. Why does it take more than 5 shots just to down them, only for them to be chasing you again. Like c’mon…

Lastly, Jill has zero personality and the story is weaker than her health after 2 dog bites.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Agree! But not for the aforementioned reasons imo. It's the slow pacing, the awful camera angles, the endless door/loading animations and the juggling between different items. I was actually surprised how I just couldn't stand so many aspects anymore.

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 1

As someone whos played the game and plat it a while back. I can say that it was tough at first, your first playthrough is going to be your hardest. The controls are hard at first but you will get used to it. By the time you get to your 4th playthough, you will be able to bait zombies. The more playthroughs you do, the easier it gets! Also I thought Chris only had 6 slots? Jill has 8 if IRC....and just so you know, the games voice acting is the only thing that hasn't aged well. The graphics look so good! The game is over 20 years old and yet the graphics still look amazing in that game. Plus every time Jill walks is what got me to keep going. Lol

Edited by The Titan

I first played this after playing and enjoying the remake of no.2 in 2020, I really enjoyed that game and knew that I'd already owned the first game remake from PS plus years before. My opinions were still very positive, especially baring in mind that I'd never played a RE game until a month or so prior, I really quite liked it. I was not a survival horror game fan before playing, I still don't play much though outside of Supermassive's titles. I still think this game aged quite well, with the exception of the melee and saving system which wasn't scary, just frustrating.

Edited by breakingthegreen

2 hours ago, DunDonnie said:

Which leads to navigating the enemies. Why does it take more than 5 shots just to down them, only for them to be chasing you again. Like c’mon…

That's why you run around them as often as possible instead of shooting them. This makes inventory management easier too, as you don't need to carry around that much weapons and ammo.

1 hour ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Yet it's still the best Resident Evil game there ever was.

Nah, the original RE2 is way better.

Edited by AvengedEvil
Typo

Sat down and fully played through this game last year for the first time and let me tell you, it has aged like the finest of wines. It's probably my fav game in the series, though I'm kinda stuck deciding between it and 2's remake. I will say I did start out like you where I would get a bit frustrated, but eventually you move past those frustrations. I went from only being able to sit down and play for like an hour at a time to being able to do two full runs in a single sitting. I also went from using the modern controls on my first run to switching to the tank controls for my second one despite hating them at first but I grew to love them. The game rules, the tension is impeccable and it never felt unfair to me. Also word for the wise, try to just never down any enemy if you don't have to, running past them is usually not that difficult and saves you a lot of resources.

Edited by DeadmanStrife

So they actually gave Jill the same inventory space Chris had in the original Resident Evil? Good, playing as Jill made the whole thing feel cheap by comparison. Well the characters not having all that much personality is not surprising, from what I know of this version it is a very faithful remake of a game that is older than many users on this forum, deep characters were the exception in these days.

This game wants you to use your brain, to survive, to learn the layout of the mansion and remember where the downed enemies were in order to find the best path to take, to avoid combat unless absolutely necessary in order to save supplies you will need later. If you go all rambo through this game and increase the backtracking even more because you have no clue where to go, then yeah its going to be a frustrating experience, because thats not the playstyle this game was designed for. You will be fine, if young me could beat the original game in the 90s, then you can beat this version of it.

5 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

So they actually gave Jill the same inventory space Chris had in the original Resident Evil? Good, playing as Jill made the whole thing feel cheap by comparison. Well the characters not having all that much personality is not surprising, from what I know of this version it is a very faithful remake of a game that is older than many users on this forum, deep characters were the exception in these days.

This game wants you to use your brain, to survive, to learn the layout of the mansion and remember where the downed enemies were in order to find the best path to take, to avoid combat unless absolutely necessary in order to save supplies you will need later. If you go all rambo through this game and increase the backtracking even more because you have no clue where to go, then yeah its going to be a frustrating experience, because thats not the playstyle this game was designed for. You will be fine, if young me could beat the original game in the 90s, then you can beat this version of it.

They actually didn't, idk what OP is talking about, Jill has 8 slots and Chris has 6, they kept it the same as the original

• Like 2

Just now, DeadmanStrife said:

They actually didn't, idk what OP is talking about, Jill has 8 slots and Chris has 6, they kept it the same as the original

Bummer. Using the safe rooms as base of operations, planning the route and deciding what best to take along for the ride was among the most fun things in the original, doesn't nearly pack the same punch with 8 inventory slots given that you don't really have to compromise on anything.

I was about to say Git Gud but....

the things you pointed out as bad mechanics actually is what made Resident Evil so good, it was originally released in an era where games won't handhold you like an overprotective mother like in the majority of games today.

it's more like a risk and reward thing, you wanna save your progress? then go explore the unknown of the nearby rooms for ink ribbons, this was intentionally made to make the player to strategically plan when to save.

the devs even said they made the items slots limited like that intentionally so players should think when they really need to pick a said item or not even bother with at all.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 10:51 PM, Optinooby said:

I like the first Remaster and I can also see why others would think it's dated but I would love to see this Remade in the same way as Remake 2 and 3 in the RE Engine

Only played the demo of 3 but I liked what they did with RE2 remake, Still, I do wish there was a mode that has the camera angles and inventory management just like in RE1 remake and RE0.

Honestly, I wish they'd remade RE2 and RE3 just like they did with the RE1 remake instead of the RE5/6/ system we have now.

I'd personally like remakes to be more faithful to the original. (FF7 remake has this problem even worse)
Still, there's probably needs to be a new word for these kind of remakes.

These new games are more of a Re-imagining/Reboot rather than a remake in my opinion. Tough to call it a remake when the core gameplay is not the same.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 1:21 PM, Dauersack said:

Bummer. Using the safe rooms as base of operations, planning the route and deciding what best to take along for the ride was among the most fun things in the original, doesn't nearly pack the same punch with 8 inventory slots given that you don't really have to compromise on anything.

You could always limit yourself to using 6 slots when playing as Jill if you are that bothered by it, it's not like the game forces you to fill the inventory.

Edited by Martain2