PS VR2 - Review Thread

Ghost

Will you be getting PS VR2 on release day?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be getting PS VR2 on release day?

I said no (for now). There are no launch titles I am interested in playing other than Gran Turismo 7. However, my main reason is no backward compatibility with PSVR. I can't justify spending $550 right now with only one game to play. I may change my mind down the road if more games I am interested in are announced.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cferguson9595 said:

I said no (for now). There are no launch titles I am interested in playing other than Gran Turismo 7. However, my main reason is no backward compatibility with PSVR. I can't justify spending $550 right now with only one game to play. I may change my mind down the road if more games I am interested in are announced.

Yeah, backward compatibility is basically impossible due to the difference in tracking. 

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 1

I pre-ordered on November 15th. I never got the first PSVR because of all the flaws, namely the Move controllers and bad resolution. 

I'm hoping mine arrives with no issues next week so I can finally see what all the hype is about. 

There are more games for me during launch than PS4 or PS5. With Horizon being the main one but solid titles like Moss 1&2, Madison, Resi 8 (already played but haven't touched the dlc yet) and Switchback, that's 5+ games already. And with 100 games in development, there's gotta be at LEAST ten more I'll want in the next year. 

Edited by yowzagabowza
  • Like 4

Great to see good reviews coming in! At first I was hesitant to pre-order because of lack of backwards compatibility and the small lineup that was first announced, but Sony's (or developers) surprising ramp up of support for bringing PSVR1 games to the PSVR2 got me to pre-order several weeks ago, so I can't wait to get it!

This will be my first time really using VR, I skipped PSVR1 because it was a little too much to get working, but this one looks really cool! Plus I can finally play many of those games I missed out on the first one. Here's hopes Sony continues to bring their classics from the first one like Blood & Truth, Playroom VR, and so on to this one!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

Lots of developers are working right now to Upgrade their games on PSVR 2. There are not just 1 or 2. What I heard there are coming like 100 games. Not all on release but there is coming a lot of Stuff. My opinion about this the price is for the quality we get very cheap. I really thought it was like 1000 $/ Euros. I mean the VR2 is not more expensive then the First one. VR 1 costs 400$ but you needed to buy the PS Camera and Move Controllers seperately and then you are at 600$ like now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Bandicoot93 said:

VR 1 costs 400$ but you needed to buy the PS Camera and Move Controllers seperately and then you are at 600$ like now.

Exactly this. The price talk about the PSVR2 has been all over the place.

One of the big ones is related to the fact that you also have to buy a PS5 so the real cost is in the $1000 range, and, yes, that is very expensive. However, the PS5 is pretty damn great and well worth owning if you can get your hands on one (I was lucky enough to get one at launch with no scalper tomfoolery). The original headset also required that you own a PlayStation (4), and I do realize that the adoption rate for PS4 was (and still is) higher than the PS5, but it does not change the fact that you did need one to buy the PSVR 1 (and the PSVR1 was essentially the same cost as the PSVR2 unless you already had the camera and move controllers). 

Another one is usually related to the PC Master Race where you should just spend your money on a good PCVR headset as it is obviously superior anyway, and I guess if you already have the rig to support VR, sure, that may be a valid point. Except, based on developer feedback and reviews, it would seem that due to the dedicated hardware and a few other features (foveated rendering for one, and also.....hello Pavlov running better on the PS5 VR system) the PSVR2 can really give PCVR a run for its money. Also, I get the impression that PCVR has been on a bit of a downswing as of late with the only major notable being HL: Alex in the past few years (man I would love to be able to play Alex) so one of the prevailing thoughts is that if the PSVR2 can kind of help invigorate VR development, it can only help VR as a whole, including the PC side of things.

There is an argument for Quest products too. I do own a Quest v1, and I have loved my time with it. No wires and the ability to draw a really REALLY large play area (as long as you have the space, that is) is really cool. There is one walking sim game related to touring the Anne Frank house that works so much better when you could draw the boundaries larger than the actual play space.....but I digress. The Quest products are fun and immersive and may be just enough for folks, especially if they don't have a PS5. We certainly don't know enough (anything?) about the Quest 3, but as a stand alone unit, it will be underpowered compared to the PSVR (for obvious reason). Sure, it can also connect to the PC for PCVR action, but, we already covered that above. This is a lot of words just to say that I do think that the Quest presents a good value and can kind of skate that line of being a complete system, as well as being a gateway into better VR. From what I hear, those Quest Pro controllers are killer in terms of accurate tracking (expensive, but killer). 

The only argument that makes any sense to me is the simple fact that $550 (assuming you have a PS5) is pretty expensive depending on your own personal situation. I had to bring my two cats into the vet yesterday for their yearly checkup with some shots and the cost of that was more than the headset. I think THAT was over priced for sure. But what I am really trying to say is that no one really fully understands other individual situations when it comes to money. Everyone has different motivations, and desires, and life requirements. There are so many factors that go into making these purchase decisions that it can make these kinds of conversations difficult. I am so deeply invested in the PlayStation ecosystem that a new headset from them just makes sense to me, Like, it feels like I NEED one, which is ridiculous, and concerning, but it seems to be how my brain is working at the moment. Others though may have a stronger sense of restraint than I do, and I kind of envy them. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Great to see good reviews coming in! At first I was hesitant to pre-order because of lack of backwards compatibility and the small lineup that was first announced, but Sony's (or developers) surprising ramp up of support for bringing PSVR1 games to the PSVR2 got me to pre-order several weeks ago, so I can't wait to get it!

This will be my first time really using VR, I skipped PSVR1 because it was a little too much to get working, but this one looks really cool! Plus I can finally play many of those games I missed out on the first one. Here's hopes Sony continues to bring their classics from the first one like Blood & Truth, Playroom VR, and so on to this one!

Enjoy my man, you're really going to be blown away! 

• Like 1

Really excited about PSVR2 as it will be the first VR headset I own. Loving the good reviews but I wont be getting it on release.

I almost gave in but launch line-up isnt too appeling, its missing Beat Saber and Half-Life Alyx for me.

And with the sheer amount "flat" games coming out in the next couple of months, I wouldnt have time to play VR much anyway.

But will getting it the not too distant future.

Edited by JavaNext

36 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I think I've asked this before but can't remember the answer. Is it worth it if you only have 1 eye? Or just pointless? 

short answer: yes, but... 

I guess it will be kind of the same with the VR2. 

are you actually missing one eye, or be blind on one eye? 

Could test that, by taping one eye.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Messknecht said:

are you actually missing one eye, or be blind on one eye? 

I have 2, my glands don't work and back in 2017 they got infected and I went completely blind for about 2 months, my right one is badly scared and left one has about 70% vision. Just enough to game thankfully lol. 

Might get a cheap VR 1 see what it's like. 

On 2/17/2023 at 3:12 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

People’s only complaint seems to be they don’t earn enough money, or the greatest launch line up in history isn’t enough…the headset is phenomenal value and the launch line up better than any console I remember. Looking forward to it like nothing for years

Same. I'm SUPER excited! 

People who know anything about tech, understand the price point is more than appropriate/fair. Also, early adapters (like me in this particular case) are willing to pay more to get their hands on it earlier. It's just like buying a new game... you can pay $70.00 at launch or wait a year and pay drastically less. when I started to see how the PS VR 2 was shaping out and how Sony seemed to nail all the details, I knew I wanted to be in on it day one. 

I have a Quest 2 and outside of a couple games I am mostly underwhelmed. It is fun, but the processor just isn't powerful enough as a standalone unit. I don't have a good/powerful gaming PC so I've skipped out on VR from that standpoint. Also, I deleted my Facebook a while back and I was very aware that my Quest was connected to the account - what I didn't realize is the ALL of my game purchases were as well. I thought I could simply create a new Facebook dummy account and re download my games. To my horrific surprise...they were all gone for good. That was the last straw for me and Quest/Meta. I don't want a device that is tethered into a social media account. Let alone - every purchase I make being dependent on me keeping a social media (FB) account active. 

Lastly..... TROPHIES!  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colin said:

So i'm not sure, i also preordered the vr2 and i am excited, but is there also a launch title from sony coming themselfs, i'm talking about like the playroom vr, or any game from sony that comes free with any new tech?

Not sure... like a tech demo... 

The Quest had one that was pretty cool. Introduced you to the mechanics and whatnot. I ended up ordering the Horizon bundle. 

On 16/02/2023 at 5:35 PM, BlindMango said:

A bit off-topic but, do you know if the VR2 games will have a new trophy tag? Or will they mantain the normal VR tag? It makes sense to keep the normal one, but since the games are exclusive to each platform it might be a possibility.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VenlafaxineHead said:

Not sure... like a tech demo... 

The Quest had one that was pretty cool. Introduced you to the mechanics and whatnot. I ended up ordering the Horizon bundle. 

Yea sort of like that, the first ps vr had it, ps5 has one. So just curious if they would do something like that