How Much Time Do You Spend Reading News, Previews & Reviews For A Game Before Buying It?

Goro

How Much Time Do You Spend Reading News, Previews & Reviews About A Game Before Buying It?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Time Do You Spend Reading News, Previews & Reviews About A Game Before Buying It?

• Hours, I thoroughly research the game before i purchase it.
    • Around half an hour, I make sure I'll like it in advance.
    • A few minutes, it's just a game, it's not a big decision.
    • Less than a minute, just review scores or a short video.
    • None at all, I'll buy a game if the box looks interesting.

It depends really, I usually try not to read to much into anything because all it takes is one sentence and the whole games ruined because you're expecting this and that to happen.

One of the downfalls of reviews and what not to be honest, IMO.

• Like 2

I spend a decent amount of time reading up on games I'm unsure of. For example, I have always been interested in the Persona series, but never played them. I got online and dug through reviews for a few of the games, most notably Persona 4 (which I am having a long-term loving relationship with now) and asked around on forums. After a good week or so of digging in, I decided I should pick up Persona 4: Golden, which I love.

On the other hand, there's games that I know I'm going to be into and I will black out on them. Titanfall and inFAMOUS: Second Son stick out as recent releases I blacked out on, knowing that I would want to play them.

• Like 1

I tend to do two things: read a review (the first one I find, it's often an IGN review) then I watch some gameplay, because that is a core aspect, sometimes you just need to see with your own eyes what the game comes down to when it comes to playing it. It takes around half an hour. :)

Reviewers are people after all, and sometimes they can't be objective. I do NOT look at scores as a factor for decicing whether to get a game or not, but I'm always curious to see how a game has been scored by the critics, I enjoy comparing my view to theirs and seeing how incredibly UNINFORMED some reviewers are (for example, EVERY LIGHTNING RETURNS REVIEWER lol)

• Like 1

I'll research for a reasonable amount of time, maybe an hour. Mainly if it's a game that's not part of a series I'm already familiar with and enjoy.

Comments about the game are really important to me. When I visit a review website, I usually just scroll down to the comments section to see what other ppl have to say about it. I also sometimes watch gameplay vids to see what the actual game looks like.

Half an hour for new games. I just look a the average scores on Metacritic, and maybe read a couple reviews. The only time I do in depth searching is for a game that's been out for awhile. I'll watch a few parts of a playthrough to see the gameplay, and read reviews from users.

There are a few times where I won't look at reviews at all, and that's when I'm already 100% sure I'm buying the game (BioShock Infinite and Injustice come to mind).

If it's a new game I'm interested in I'll watch previews and trailers for it beforehand, but even then it's only a few

I don't really check reviews or review sites, but I do occasionally check out other forums/communities to get a general opinion on something to see what I'm sort of in for. Otherwise than that if it's available on redbox I just rent the sucker.

The few times I read a review, It's in between less then a minute and a few minutes. If it's something that I definïtely want to buy I view the score, pros and cons but if the game say, scores a 5. I'll take a little more time reading/watching a review before I make my decision to purchase it.

Edit: Most of the time I don't read/watch any reviews/previews though because ultimately reviews are just someone's opinion and I try to stay away from previews for games I want because I like experiencing everything for the first time when I actually play.

Edited by MidnightLumiere

Very little time, if any at all.

Reviews tend to be based off personal opinion and experience, possibly even biased. They sometimes lack crucial information that would redirect my view from buying or not buying a certain game. If anything, I'll read a sentence or two just to get a general idea. But even then if I know I will undoubtedly enjoy a game and have heard good feedback rolling around, then it's likely I'll buy it just to experience it myself.

It completely depends on the game. Some games I'm sold after just a preview or screenshot, others after a gameplay video, and some I only pick up once it's been recommended to me by multiple people and I've spent a while reading multiple reviews and watching gameplay videos and/or playing a demo.

Well now days I find myself researching a game for hours before buying it, especially if there is customization involved! There are certain games that I want as soon as I see them, but I am usually checking multiple sites for reviews and info on most other games.

Not usually too long I'll watch a gameplay video or review sometimes, but often I'll buy games as a spur of the moment decision whilst I'm browsing/picking something else up in store.

Although I do usually check the trophy guides and also the platinum rarity percentage as well if it's a game I'm researching before purchasing lol. :P

I'll always follow news/trailers for games that I'm interested in :) And during that time is when I'll decide if I actually want that game or not.

I tend to watch reviews but it'll rarely change what I think about a game I've been "following". I'll pay more attention to them for a game that I'm unsure about. I think that's the point of them really; just to give you another opinion ;)