What Games Do You Have Pre-Ordered?

Parker

On 11.4.2014 at 11:31 PM, Parker said:

As the title says, what games do you have pre-ordered?

None.

I don't pre-order games because there's no reason to. It's not a limited good. And I refuse to purchase newly released games at all because they're still unfinished beta versions. I usually wait at least six months after a game was released. Everything else is just nuts.

• Like 2

I have never and will never pre-order any game...or anything else for that matter. It's a business model founded purely in lunacy and the only people who think it's a good idea have diluted themselves into thinking they're some type of activist for consumerism. This isn't the way it's supposed to work, and those who habitually pre-order games are merely perpetuating this insane cycle of current gaming economics.

Edited by dj_helyx
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angelo Urkel said:

Not to mention they're PAYING (!) beta testers and guinea pigs at the same time.

Preaching to the choir there, brother Angelo. These people will eat up micro-transactions and smile with shit in their teeth claiming it's exactly what they wanted. Not that I feel anyone can change their perspective...I'm just sad at the current state of game publish standards.

3 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

Preaching to the choir there, brother Angelo. These people will eat up micro-transactions and smile with shit in their teeth claiming it's exactly what they wanted. Not that I feel anyone can change their perspective...I'm just sad at the current state of game publish standards.

Ok, I have to say that I will buy Shenmue III at day one. But that's only because I have a two decades long love affair with that franchise.

1 minute ago, Angelo Urkel said:

Ok, I have to say that I will buy Shenmue III at day one. But that's only because I have a two decades long love affair with that franchise.

That's exactly how nostalgic affection for a franchise gets destroyed. Buying it before it's completely functional will ruin your perspective on it as a whole (at least it would for me). I wait until about 2 or 3 months afterwards before touching a new game, especially a new IP, console port or indie game.

Just now, dj_helyx said:

That's exactly how nostalgic affection for a franchise gets destroyed. Buying it before it's completely functional will ruin your perspective on it as a whole (at least it would for me). I wait until about 2 or 3 months afterwards before touching a new game, especially a new IP, console port or indie game.

I don't expect the game to be overly complex and I don't expect any DLC coming for it. I mean, it's not a Bethesda game... ?

5 minutes ago, Angelo Urkel said:

I don't expect any DLC

.DLC, pre-order bonuses and micro-transactions are the bane of the current gaming paradigm. I don't mind patches, but these devs/pubs shoveling additional content is just disgraceful. If you can't finish your game during your projected development cycle, then you need to reevaluate your team and your deadlines. Don't use partially completed games for a platform to hustle superficial additives and useless cosmetics on people who've already thrown $60+ at your supposedly finished product.

Edited by dj_helyx
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

well if you have bucketloads of money who the fuck cares what people do with it.

It has less to do with me "caring" about how other people spend their money and more to do with the shift towards these poor practices that affects the landscape of future content shoveled on the average gamer. Sure, you may have cash to burn and that's cool. When it snowballs into the average consumer market it affects us all in a negative way.

We're supposed to be happy about being sold incomplete products that act as a platform for publishers rolling out "additional content" that should have been available in the base price? I'm not talking about F2P games that have seasonal and cosmetic add-ons. I'm talking about the major publishers and their constant need to saturate the market with missions, characters and equipment that didn't make it into the final product due to tight deadlines. If it's not ready for the market, then delay it. It's not a difficult idea to understand, and even if money isn't an object to you, I hope you can see things from my perspective.

You do you, homey. I'm gonna speak with my wallet and hope eventually this business model fades away.

• Like 2

Physical:

Catherine Collector's

Borderlands 3 Collector's

Death Stranding Collector's

Digital:

Crash Team Racing

I might cut Catherine, but the BL3 und DS Collector's are very personal to me

...and Crash? hell yeah, endless couch coop fun with my boys :D

On 12/06/2019 at 7:54 PM, dj_helyx said:

It has less to do with me "caring" about how other people spend their money and more to do with the shift towards these poor practices that affects the landscape of future content shoveled on the average gamer. Sure, you may have cash to burn and that's cool. When it snowballs into the average consumer market it affects us all in a negative way.

We're supposed to be happy about being sold incomplete products that act as a platform for publishers rolling out "additional content" that should have been available in the base price? I'm not talking about F2P games that have seasonal and cosmetic add-ons. I'm talking about the major publishers and their constant need to saturate the market with missions, characters and equipment that didn't make it into the final product due to tight deadlines. If it's not ready for the market, then delay it. It's not a difficult idea to understand, and even if money isn't an object to you, I hope you can see things from my perspective.

You do you, homey. I'm gonna speak with my wallet and hope eventually this business model fades away.

i do see them from youre perspective too.

another reason i preorder is i like to show support for physical media. 

im not entirely opposed to a digital world, but if people want to collect physical they should be allowed to.

as for the complete products, yeah that is a problem. everything seems more "beta" at launch. its weird. 

I just pre-ordered the "Monster Hunter World Iceborne: Master Edition Deluxe. Grant you, I already have the main game digital, but I find it stupid to go all the way to a game store on release date just to pick up a steelbox with a piece of paper and no disc. xD

unknown.png

Edited by tsuki_-no-_usagi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an updated list of preorders:

New Releases

Control - PS4 - 8/27/2019

Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch - 9/20/2019
Shenmue III - PS4 - 11/19/2019
Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4 - 3/3/2020
Cyberpunk 2077 - PS4 - 4/16/2020
Dying Light 2 - PS4 - 2020?

Physical Re-releases

Guacamelee One-Two Punch Collection - Switch - 8/6/2019
Enter The Gungeon Deluxe - Switch - 8/6/2019
The Walking Dead Telltale Definitive Series - PS4 - 9/10/2019
Trine Ultimate Collection - PS4 - 9/30/2019
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove - Switch - 2019?

On 6/12/2019 at 9:29 PM, El Duderino said:

None.

I don't pre-order games because there's no reason to. It's not a limited good. And I refuse to purchase newly released games at all because they're still unfinished beta versions. I usually wait at least six months after a game was released. Everything else is just nuts.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, dj_helyx said:

The thing that gets lost in all this is the fact that launch sales are critical to the success of a game/franchise/dev studio.  By never buying games day one, you're punishing good developers too.  They don't live on the money made 3-6 months (or longer) after a games release, or a year or two later on deep discount or in a bundle somewhere.

Looking at it from a purely "whats best for me" perspective, sure... I get why you'd wait and see no reason to pre-order a game.  The game is cheaper and you're getting the best version of it.  Win-win.  But keep in mind that in a world where everyone did what you do, those patched and feature complete games you're playing may not be there.  Not without someone else fronting the bill.  There's no guarantee that nickle and dime-ing these companies will make them invest more resources in releasing better games (infact that doesn't sound like logic based in reality at all)... in all likelihood they'll just invest as little resources into it as possible because there's no faith in their consumer base to make that money back, or they'll just stop making games altogether.  I don't think things are so bad at the moment that we need to "scorched earth" the industry and hope a newer, better one rises from the ashes.

You do you.  Personally, I don't mind my role in the industry.  I'll just keep preordering games I'm interested in and buying day one as long as it's financially feasible for me to do so.  It satisfies both my want to play my newest favorite games as early as possible, and to support the hobby I love.

Edited by Dreakon13

17 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The thing that gets lost in all this is the fact that launch sales are critical to the success of a game/franchise/dev studio.  By never buying games day one, you're punishing good developers too.  They don't live on the money made 3-6 months (or longer) after a games release.

Look, I've purchased my first video game in 1990 at the age of six. Back then, if you bought a game, it was complete. You've exchanged cash for the final product. Today, even years after a game was released, it still can be imcomplete. Final Fantasy XV is the worst example. The game was released more than 2 1/2 years ago and still isn't complete. It took months until Crapcom added an Arcade Mode to Street Fighter V. An ARCADE MODE! The bare basic of every fighting game ever released! Companies release so called "Game of the Year" editions that turn out to be unpatched vanilla versions with a few download codes (Fallout 4). Fuck this! I'm not gonna support crook ass policies like this! I've changed my purchasing behaviour because the industry forced me to! I'm not a guinea pig! Give me the complete and finished product or get lost. You see, I have a lot of games here that are mostly unplayed. I can wait. I'm patient. There's no need for me to pick up a game at launch. And since I consider myself quite a smart person, I know from experience that games at launch day are always the worst versions. Nope, I don't need that. I don't WANT that!

Edited by El Duderino

20 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Fuck this! I'm not gonna support crook ass policies like this! I've changed my purchasing behaviour because the industry forced me too! I'm not a fucking guinea pig! Give me the complete and finished product or get lost. You see, I have a lot of games here that are mostly unplayed. I can wait. I'm patient. There's no need for me to pick up a game at launch. And since I consider myself quite a smart person, I know from experience that games at launch day are always the worst versions. Nope, I don't need that. I don't WANT that!

At the risk of repeating everything else I said in my last post... if everyone penny pinched and waited months or years to buy games on sale, the industry would simply cease to be.  How about I appreciate and respect your side of this in the sense that I totally understand the value in waiting, if you non-ironically appreciate the people who pay full price and keep the industry and good studios alive so folks like yourself have the option to wait.

And for the record, I bought played and LOVED my launch copy of Final Fantasy XV.  If I never bought any of the DLC or waited for any of the patches, I still would've been extremely satisfied.  The rest of that was just gravy on top.  So differen't strokes for different folks, eh?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1