Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft (PS5|PS4)

Favorite of the original trilogy  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite of the original trilogy

• Tomb Raider
    • Tomb Raider II
    • Tomb Raider III

36 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Love seeing fellow classic Tomb Raider fans and all, but... you made a mistake yourself too 🤣. While they're more popularly known for having been available over PC, it wasn't "PC-only". 

Where else were they released then? Because if you say Mac… “Mac, short for Macintosh, is a family of personal computers” 🫢

On 9/19/2023 at 5:27 PM, EcoShifter said:

Love seeing fellow classic Tomb Raider fans and all, but... you made a mistake yourself too 🤣. While they're more popularly known for having been available over PC, it wasn't "PC-only". 

Sure, Unfinished business later went on to be released on mobile, but originally, as well as golden mask and the lost artifact where indeed only released on pc and mac, as in, pc only

Edited by Devil_Spooky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Tomb Raider is literally always a talking point when people mention the all time greatest PlayStation franchises.

Is it? I always feel like it's rather Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Tekken 3, THPS and so on. From a quality point the Tomb Raider games even aged poorly.

Look, I am happy for the people who are excited for the remaster, I just could never understand the appeal and it felt like it never really touched the people as much as other games. Wasn't it just horny boys praising Lara Croft for just being her? 😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

10 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Is it? I always feel like it's rather Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Tekken 3, THPS and so on. From a quality point the Tomb Raider games even aged poorly.

Look, I am happy for the people who are excited for the remaster, I just could never understand the appeal and it felt like it never really touched the people as much as other games. Wasn't it just horny boys praising Lara Croft for just being her? 😅

"Aging poorly" isn't a knock against a game being considered great during it's time. There's plenty of legendary titles out there that are hard to go back to now...doesn't make them any less great. But there's a reason Tomb Raider has remained relevant since 1996...it's most definitely always considered among the other greats you mentioned there. Why you haven't seen it as much as I have, I couldn't tell you. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

The original is literally one of two titles credited for erstablishing 3d graphics in gaming (alongside Super Mario 64), with Lara Croft being one of the most recognizable video game characters even to non-gamers on the level of Mario and Pikachu. Tomb Raider in particular is not only known for tank controls - it's credited for making tank controls a thing. Back then, that was an incredible step forward, nobody knew how to control characters in an actual 3d space.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2023 at 3:51 PM, LilIelaps said:

I hope the gameplay remains largely untouched because the precision platforming is what makes og Tomb Raider. I really really hope they don't mess with the controls and don't turn it into the Crystal Dynamics era games like Legend and such.

Based.

On 9/19/2023 at 1:09 PM, VeldinX said:

Where else were they released then? Because if you say Mac… “Mac, short for Macintosh, is a family of personal computers” 🫢

Mobile platforms. Both "Unfinished Business" and "Golden Mask", and the funny thing is I actually know a person who played it from there. /@Devil_Spooky.

(My bad for answering late)

On 9/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, Jacko_the_lad said:

Looks like there's going to be a physical release: https://nerdculture.de/@coredesign/111097495856873512

Originally and presently, this actually isn't confirmation yet. A lot of digital exclusive games in the past have showed up on the site just like that. We'll still have to wait and see.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:05 PM, skotafactor said:

There’s literally a bullet point in some of the press about quality of life improvements like switching between a modern and classic control scheme. Even if it’s just better camera control, I could see that being a major improvement. 

The press has gotten information wrong with a list of games. That's why I personally prioritize info from certain developers (because "Ellie is the only playable character in the game"/etc 🙄) only, interviews, official screenshots, direct sources. I generally recommend keeping expectations low for "...modern controls" here.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

The press has gotten information wrong with a list of games. That's why I personally prioritize info from certain developers ("Ellie is the only playable character in the game"/etc 🙄) only, interviews, and official screenshots. I generally recommend keeping expectations low for "modern controls" here.

I mean, sure - but I was responding to a comment that was making a definitive assertion that the controls would not be touched at all. I was just pointing out that the information we currently have about the game says otherwise. Whether or not CD will be able to follow through on that feels entirely speculative at this point.

Edited by skotafactor

10 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

Mobile platforms. Both "Unfinished Business" and "Golden Mask", and the funny thing is I actually know a person who played it from there.

Seriously why are you nitpicking? I said “were” PC-only, not “always have been and will be forever more”, and obviously I was referring to the original release timeframe (since I was replying to someone who hadn’t heard of them “back then”) not somewhat irrelevant mobile ports 15 years later! 😂

P.S. I’ve played them on PC and iOS. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

Seriously why are you nitpicking? I said “were” PC-only, not “always have been and will be forever more”, and obviously I was referring to the original release timeframe (since I was replying to someone who hadn’t heard of them “back then”)

not somewhat irrelevant mobile ports 15 years later!
😂

P.S. I’ve played them on PC and iOS. 

Did you forget you asked me a direct question? Why would you seriously get dramatic over me giving you the appropriate answer to your question? "PC-only" reads like "PC-exclusive" and you additionally made no mention of the mobile versions, so why would someone reading believe differently? 

Having been the more recent and accessible ways to play the expansions made them the most relevant version over PC's.

9 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

Did you forget you asked me a direct question?

Well I kinda meant why are you nitpicking from your first reply onwards but ok, I could have worded it better than “PC-only” but of course, at the time I was referring to (the 90s) they were PC (inc. Mac) exclusive. Didn’t really think I’d have to justify it. 🫢

Edited by VeldinX

6 minutes ago, William Faure said:

189 achievements on Steam. PS4 & PS5 versions will likely have those in separate trophy collections for each game, which would translate to 192 trophies total, counting respective Platinum trophies. 64 trophies per game? 🏆🙌

e1lv65wu0ipb1.png?width=1172&format=png&

I was just about to comment on the Steam achievements. It's actually 270 achievements though. 189 was what it showed up as initially. Either way, I also think it's a good indication of TRI, TRII, and TRIII getting their own individual trophy lists.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

I was just about to comment on the Steam achievements. It's actually 270 achievements though. 189 was what it showed up as initially. Either way, I also think it's a good indication of TRI, TRII, and TRIII getting their own individual trophy lists.

CDN media

Ah, yes! Thank you for telling me! 😁

So this translates to 273 trophies now - that's insane! It's like 91 trophies per game! 🤪

Edited by William Faure
  • Like 1