Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft (PS5|PS4)

Favorite of the original trilogy  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite of the original trilogy

• Tomb Raider
    • Tomb Raider II
    • Tomb Raider III

They actually did it. The ORIGINAL three games (not the "Legend" series reboots), with classic Lara.

An overlooked fact is that this collection will technically include 4 games, not 3. Unfortunately it's not "The Last Revelation" but the standalone game Tomb Raider III: The Lost Artifact.

Toggle between the polygonal graphics and upgraded visuals (a feature I've long wished more remakes did, if not include the original version of the game like Medievil's 2019 did), a rarely welcomed redesigned model which is satisfyingly inline with the FMVs/promotional material, all expansions and bonus levels from the PC releases.

+

"switch between classic and modern joystick control schemes"

"variety of quality-of-life improvements, including camera lock-on and achievements"

"Console players can pre-order with a 10% discount (*depending on platform)."

"PC players who currently own Tomb Raider I (Steam), Tomb Raider II (Steam), Tomb Raider III (Steam), or Tomb Raider Trilogy (GOG) can pre-order with a 20% loyalty discount on the platform where they own the original title."

Huge ass W so far. 

I also like how the collection releases on Lara's official birthday.

• Like 1

OMG!! I have waited for this for years and they are including the PC only expansions as well, hope there is a trophy list as well.   I have a Mac version by Asphyr of TR2, these games also didn't "hold your hand", you had to work out the puzzles yourself.  Got the Platinum for Anniversary, hope to get it for the original.

The PC version of Tomb Raider 1 also had an ambient soundtrack over the Playstation version which had incidental music, which I preferred [ the ambient one that is ] as the Atlantis levels with the mutants sounded like this: 

7 hours ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Not including IV Last Revelation, is a big mistake. It's arguably the best of the original tank control games. I only hope they either release a second collection with Last Revelations and Chronicles (not Angel of Darkness, that can rot in hell) or release them as DLC. 

I think that's their plan, publishers really like trilogies so they split the series into two trilogies. Makes sense with the main series games split into 6-3-3 across reboots, not counting spin-offs. There is a kinda decent version of Angel of Darkness, btw. It was released as a DVD Game to be played on dvd players and it's decent by way of omitting almost all gameplay of that mess.

Pretty cool. I never played the original Tomb Raider games back when they were new. I was actually looking forward to experiencing them through emulation at some point in the future, but the news of this remastered trilogy sure is welcome as well. I will be sure to give them a spin in one way or the other. ^^

• Like 2

Hopefully some of the quality of life improvements include a better save system than the PS1 save crystals. 

I’m cautiously optimistic about this release. I got into the series with Legend and tried multiple times over the years to play through the originals, but I could never get past the original tank controls. 

With the 4th game, it was probably either a marketing thing (3 is the magic number) or because that game’s ending really screws with the canon from what I understand. If they’re trying to merge all of Lara’s timelines, the end of TLR could throw a wrench in that (even though it was retconned in Chronicles)

14 minutes ago, skotafactor said:

Hopefully some of the quality of life improvements include a better save system than the PS1 save crystals. 

I’m cautiously optimistic about this release. I got into the series with Legend and tried multiple times over the years to play through the originals, but I could never get past the original tank controls. 

With the 4th game, it was probably either a marketing thing (3 is the magic number) or because that game’s ending really screws with the canon from what I understand. If they’re trying to merge all of Lara’s timelines, the end of TLR could throw a wrench in that (even though it was retconned in Chronicles)

They are not going to change anything other than a graphical overhaul [ which you can see in the video, skyboxes etc ], they are not changing anything else.  You have to remember these games were based upon tile style shaped environment, so what you call "tank" controls were designed around that, so that's not going to change either.  So the Save system on TR3 won't actually be changed, as much as I didn't like the Save Crystals myself either, in fact there used to be a " code" or tweak as its known as today to get all Save Crystals [ and all ammo, medikits etc] by keying in a sequence and if done right Lara would make a sound [ sigh or scream or say no! ] it will still be in the game.   

13 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

So the Save system on TR3 won't actually be changed

I wouldn’t be so sure. Since the expansions are included, it’s a (very) safe bet to say they’re using the PC versions for this remaster, and those didn’t use the save crystal system. 

44 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Since the expansions are included, it’s a (very) safe bet to say they’re using the PC versions for this remaster, and those didn’t use the save crystal system. 

Well I do remember playing the first Tomb Raider on PC back in 1996, and you could save anywhere just like TR2 [ we didn't own the Gold versions of course ] but on the PS1 version you have save beacons [ Purple diamonds ]. TR1 on the PC also as I said had ambient sounds, the PS1 version only had incidental music on its soundtrack so they are probably using the PC versions, or designing them around the Playstation versions maybe.  We shall see, the controls won't be any different though.  I for one, and my sister too are looking forward to playing them, we were in our 20's when we played them originally.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

We shall see, the controls won't be any different though. 

There’s literally a bullet point in some of the press about quality of life improvements like switching between a modern and classic control scheme. Even if it’s just better camera control, I could see that being a major improvement. 

9 hours ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

They are not going to change anything other than a graphical overhaul [ which you can see in the video, skyboxes etc ], they are not changing anything else.  You have to remember these games were based upon tile style shaped environment, so what you call "tank" controls were designed around that, so that's not going to change either.  So the Save system on TR3 won't actually be changed, as much as I didn't like the Save Crystals myself either, in fact there used to be a " code" or tweak as its known as today to get all Save Crystals [ and all ammo, medikits etc] by keying in a sequence and if done right Lara would make a sound [ sigh or scream or say no! ] it will still be in the game.   

You have a source or is that just what you want? Crystal Dynamics put this up on their website with the announcement and it specifically mentions modern controls and camera changes: https://www.crystald.com/aspyr-crystal-dynamics-reveal-tomb-raider-i-iii-remastered-starring-lara-croft-coming-to-pc-consoles-feb-14-2024/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

You have a source or is that just what you want? Crystal Dynamics put this up on their website with the announcement and it specifically mentions modern controls and camera changes: https://www.crystald.com/aspyr-crystal-dynamics-reveal-tomb-raider-i-iii-remastered-starring-lara-croft-coming-to-pc-consoles-feb-14-2024/

I assumed and only from the trailer that, it was a graphical upgrade only with the added expansions, meaning that the Playstation version of the first game will get the ambient soundtrack that the PS1 version lacked and that the PC version had giving it the atmosphere that the follow on games had.  I was never a big fan of the Save Crystals and as far as I know, I don't think it was very popular with other players either at the time [ 1998 ].  The fact that they were not in the PC only expansion " The Lost Artefact" will mean they won't be in TR3 main game which make it better if you can save anywhere you like since the puzzles in TR3 are harder and the levels are longer.   As I said my sister and I were in our 20's when we played these originally, and its been a long time waiting.  I have the Mac port of TR2 on my old Mac, also made by Aspyr so they are no stranger to the series.  So at least you know its in good hands, I personally think I will go for the classic controls since the game is tile design and you will probably find traversing with the left analogue stick will be difficult, but at least they are giving Players that choice.  

Edited by alexandra-jane09

12 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

Modern controls? Officially sold. It's priced well too ($10 a game) with a current discount right now...I'll grab this. Would prefer a physical copy though. I have most of the Tomb Raider games on disc (I think all but the 2013 Remake which we got through PS+) so would like to keep that going. 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, VeldinX said:

Forgot to mention in my earlier post but I’m so glad more people can finally play The Lost Artefact (the TR3 expansion) as it’s set in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and it’s beautiful. 

Also, it’s funny how in all the official announcements they’re getting the name of TR2’s expansion wrong, “The Gold Mask”, like what? 😅

On 9/14/2023 at 6:18 PM, VeldinX said:

As @Devil_Spooky said, they were PC-only and they were mini extra adventures, mostly unrelated to the main game. The first two were included in special expanded editions of the main games (these were called “Gold” editions in the US).

Love seeing fellow classic Tomb Raider fans and all, but... you made a mistake yourself too 🤣. While they're more popularly known for having been available over PC, it wasn't "PC-only".