zmr's Crypt journey on the PS5

zemiguelreis

5 minutes ago, Riiszk said:

I won't say don't do it, you should do what you want, it's your journey. If you feel Crypt is a step you want to take, then go for it. Though, I will say prepare yourself for that step. Play similar games or other difficult rhythm games to gauge if you really want to push ahead with it for the next several months or years. May as well test the waters with those games while you find and buy what you need for Crypt.

Agreed, make sure you like the game before you attempt it. Persistence makes all things doable, but I wouldn’t want to be miserable while playing anything! Either way, good luck @zemiguelreis!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Burritoprime said:

OP has the kinda profile and mindset I like, he doesn't care if a game is hard, if he wants it he will try it despite the naysayers and the possibility of voiding the frail 100%, really hope you pull through.

I think we are all cheering for him! I don’t know if there is a demo, but for that kind of commitment, (100% or not) I would still recommend trying it first.

I’ve seen too many people try to prove something to themselves or others based on the reputation of a game and ended up hating that decision if they went in blind.

Edited by VoidVictorious
  • Like 1

In the end everybody was more interested in the guys profile than to answer his questions. Im sorry, but I dont have the answers either, I just take a peek whenever I see people talking about Crypt of the Necrodancer.

After reading your post I even felt like going back to this game and keep trying the platinum, I find it super fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, veryrareoriginal said:

From what i've seen of the game i don't think it will be fun.

Personally, I think Crypt is very fun. It all depends on the person. It's more enjoyable than the difficulty would suggest to be fair and I think it's a shame so many people are put off by the difficulty alone

Good luck on your journey @zemiguelreis

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, veryrareoriginal said:

What actually is the difficult part of it?

I'd personally say the gameplay is the most difficult thing about Crypt, a lot of time and patience is required for the game. Each character has their own set of rules that need to be used.

Obviously each floor is randomly generated too, which can add extra challenge especially if you're newer to the game. E.g. a miniboss could spawn that you haven't seen before, or a group of enemies you haven't faced a lot could all show up in one room. 

Boss fights can be difficult. For example one requires you to miss a beat, a different one requires you go at double tempo. 

Trophy requirements are absurd as well. The 2 biggest ones are Coda's run and a run using all characters without picking up any items. These 2 trophies alone will require 100's of hours of practicing. 

Practice is a huge help in Crypt, and there's actually rooms you can access where you can practice against bosses and enemies. They can only be accessed with certain requirements though (Beastmaster where you practice normal enemies requires you to have beaten that enemy at least one time, and Bossmaster I believe requires diamonds to practice) 

It's certainly not a game for everyone, but I think everyone should at least give it a shot whether on an alt, a different console or their main account. 

• Like 1

Hey dude, i havent done CRYPT and NEVER WILL, but i am trying SMB and it was always impossible on my mind and i am doing some nice progress. Just don´t give up and you will get it, even if takes 1500h. People underrate the power of persistence and discipline, i got through many personal hard challenges on my account just not quitting and enduring the frustration. Taking breaks also do help for me, so good luck , you can do it!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, veryrareoriginal said:

5 hours ago, zemiguelreis said:

Hello! I've been trophy hunting for almost 3 years. I've done my fair share of hard platinums but probably nothing that comes close to this. Whenever rarity and difficulty gets discussed, this game always comes up with no close second. Well, I guess it's time to see what's all this talk about. I don't know my limits yet so I'll probably discover them here.

I would like to ask 3 questions before starting, and I'm sorry if these have already been asked, but I checked some of the threads and I felt lost and confused with so much different information.

I want to play this game only on the PS5! No PC, neither PS Vita.

What exactly do I've to buy?

I'm not even going to try to play this game with a dualsense controller, so I might just jump straight away to a keyboard/adapter or whatever it's called.

I don't care about the price, just give me the best thing on the market, so I can give myself the best chance possible. Just be sure that it is compatible with the PS5. 

Where do I buy your suggestions?

Does it make any difference? Should I buy it from any official website or it doesn't really matter? I'm from Portugal, Europe. If you can provide me any links that would be great. Keep in mind that I still don't know anything about this so if you are suggesting something I'll probably believe that you have experience and buy it.

How do I connect the acessories I'm going to buy to the PS5?

I've never used any acessories on the PS5, so I don't know exactly how it works. Are there any tutorial videos explaining this?

That's basically it.

I'm going to start this game in the end of this year or in the beggining of 2024 and these are my personal goals so I can have some kind of guideline to follow:

• Get 100% in less than 3 years (before the end of 2026);
  • Get 100% in less than 1000 hours;
  • Updating this thread every month or so with my progress;
  • Playing other games at the same time so I don't burn myself out with this one.

If you have any extra comments you would like to say, feel free to do so, and if you would like to join me on this journey, you can use this thread to share yours as well!

Thank you for reading!

Welcome! First, Crypt will take more than 1,000 hours depending on your skill level, you can kind of throw the high difficulty out the window once you have around 300 hours. If you need help understanding certain monsters, Eladifficult made a guide on how to defeat every monster, mini boss and bosses. The PS Vita version has a crashing issue that happens a lot, so it's best to play it on console. Make sure you get your hands on the Amplified DLC, as it does make the game much easier. If you need help understanding items in the game, there is a Crypt fandom that has everything in the game listed.

4 hours ago, veryrareoriginal said:

I second this. From what i've seen of the game i don't think it will be fun. You'll ruin your 100%. Try The Binding of Issac or something like that

The game is quite addicting once you get the hang of it. Yes it won't be fun at the beginning as you will be dying a lot trying to understand the game.

Edited by Kimura Takahashi
  • Like 1

I was like you once. Young and excited with a 100% completion on my account before I started this game. I have now lost my 100% but not because of Crypt. I actually platinumed it. Don't listen to the others; just go for it. If you put your mind to it, you'll definitely make it. I took really long breaks and still managed to get the platinum in less than 2 years, it is possible.

As for the equipment, I personally prefer using a keyboard and think it provides a huge help. You can read about what I bought here: 

However, this is for PS4 and doesn't work on PS5. I can't help you on that regard. Good luck!

• Like 2

Can't quote everyone but thank you very much for the comments, didn't expect to receive so much support 😃

My decision is made, there's really no going back on my mind, I just need to know what to buy! 

I have a life outside of gaming so I'll just take my time with it and enjoy the journey.

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In fairness, if the OP were to avoid a game they want to play just to maintain it, then it would be ruined already.

@zemiguelreis - God speed to you, sir! 🫡

So true!

The only reasons why my profile is still 100% achievable are mainly due to patience and research. Games with offline-only trophies never really scared me (I know that Crypt has one, but I guess it shouldn't take too long to pop after starting the game). This game will always be achievable at some point, even if it takes 10 years. When I play a game I try to do the online trophies as fast as possible. The only time my account was on "risk" was with Little Deviants from PS Vita. It was very risky to do but I really enjoyed the gameplay reviews so I didn't want to back down if it was still achievable.

Very excited to start this game, I will just finish cleaning my profile and hopefully I can tackle it in December!

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 11:17 AM, veryrareoriginal said:

Surprisingly, just starting the game is hard, but the game is actually very doable once you have a good amount of knowledge and experience in the game. As for the trophies, most of them are pretty simple, but the two that stand out for being the hardest are getting your first clear with the probably impossible Coda and completing the all characters low% for the first time. A clear with Coda is the 2nd hardest trophy in the list. You unlock her by completing the All character's mode. She combines three of the toughest characters in the game all into one, Monk: picking up gold is an instant death, gold trapping, certain enemies are now twice as deadly as they can use the gold to instant kill the player and unbeatable floors if gold is on the exit stairs. Aria: dies from missed beats, no standing still, no sloppy inputs, dies from the song ending, no invalid actions, one tile dagger only and dies from a single hit. Bolt: All the songs are played twice the speed, less time to react to the beat, monsters move twice as fast, and it is a lot easier to miss beats. Completing the all characters low% for the first time is the most difficult trophy in the list. You cannot pick up any items or activate any shrines picking up gold is allowed. This means no increased health, no armour, no increased damage, no hazard boots, no headwear, no torches, no rings, and only one bomb for each character. As for health regeneration, you have to wait till floor 4-3 for the mostly harmless enemy to spawn, which can heal you if you don't attack it, and yes, this plays out for every character in total. There are nine characters you need to get through only two of the characters are extremely easy, and the rest can be a pain to get through.

On 10/15/2023 at 12:43 PM, zemiguelreis said:

Should I buy it from any official website or it doesn't really matter? I'm from Portugal, Europe.

Olá! If you decide to buy a XIM, I don't think any store here sells them. They're sold at Amazon ES with warranty, but you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else in the EU, or even from the UK with taxes and shipping (doubt it, but you never know). There's also one on OLX right now for less than 80€, but I obviously can't tell if it's a good deal since I don't know if it's in good shape.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/15/2023 at 11:17 AM, veryrareoriginal said:

The all character's mode, everything else is pretty simple, as you get unlimited attempts, but in this mode, you get one attempt to get a clear with everyone in the game. You have to get consistent clears with everyone in a row, without dying once and all in one sitting. In total, there are 9 characters about 7 of those characters have a downside, and 4 of those characters have harsher downsides. A clear tends to take 15 minutes or less, so this mode could take an hour or two, and of course there's no leaving as it won't save. The hardest trophy in the game wants you to complete this mode while also completing low% runs with everyone. Low% runs are starting loadout only runs, which means no picking up items or using shrines to give yourself or heal yourself picking up gold is allowed, as these are already difficult as it is and no one wants to lose a run for stepping into gold. The difficult part of low% runs is that the starting loadouts are garbage level one shovel, one ranged dagger, one bomb, and some other things. No one starts with armour so you have 0 defense, which means most monsters can kill you in one to two hits, and of course, whatever how much health the character has is all you have. You have to hope you get a good boss order too, as there are bosses that are easier than others that you want to get later to take the role of harder bosses up to RNG, sadly, so no assuming which boss it is. Zone three is going to be the worst. The open areas have you aggro large amounts of monsters, and most of these monsters deal 1.5 or more damage, so you're  limited to one hit pretty much. You can get your health back up, but you have to wait until floor 4-3 for the pixie fairies to spawn and let them give you a kiss to get your health back. The only real difficult characters are Aria and Monk. Aria is somewhat easy, but her dies in a single hit. Downside got rid of all her health. If you think about it this would have to be a hitless run. Thankfully, the developers were nice enough to spawn her with a protection item so she doesn't die in a single hit. Still, it's insanely scary knowing you are only limited to one hit you also can't wait out songs or use the standing still strat as she dies from missed beats. Monk is the worst Gold kills stepping in any amount of gold is an instant death with no way of coming back to life as stepping into in, first off you have to be very aware of your surroundings as you don't want the gold to trap you, certain monsters are now deadlier as they can pull, push and confuse you to make you step into the gold, you also cannot miscount beats and attack too early as you will just step into the gold, he also spawns with the worst shovel so you literally can't dig anything besides level one walls and finally Deep Blues is awful literally has the entire exit blocked off by his chess pieces and the only way to get past it is by getting behind the pawns and wait out the rest till they turn to Queens. As for everyone else, it's very doable it just requires a decent amount of good RNG.

On 12/16/2023 at 4:16 AM, Kimura Takahashi said:

No one starts with armour

Dorian starts with an armor.

he also spawns with the worst shovel so you literally can't dig anything besides level one walls

Actually, his shovel can dig every wall in the game including Gold walls. However, he'll take half a heart of damage. Despite that, you have to remember that every other character (except Dove and Dorian) use the basic shovel that can only dig tier 1 wall, so I can't see how Monk can be worse. If you don't want to take the half a heart damage, don't dig a wall unless you get stuck.

Deep Blues is awful

Deep Blues can be the worst boss for Monk but there is a very effective strategy you can use. With it, I always hoped for DP 3 or 4 because they're easier to deal with than KC. 

Here is a video showing the strategy but it will take some time to get use to it. You can also watch me doing it in my successful run (Link with timestamp) while I was against DP 4 (I know I screw up a bit :)). 

Edited by MohandGamer7