Do you still buy games on release at full price? What was the last game you bought new and when?

GamingMethodist

Spider-Man 2, Alan Wake 2, Lords of the Fallen, RoboCop, these are singleplayer focused games that are my style so I try to support them as much as I can by preordering the Deluxe editions, next game I'm Planning on preordering is Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

even if I don't have time to play them, I like to know that I did as much as I could for the devs

• Like 1

The last game I got near release was Elden ring I think I haven't bought for full price since and most likely I will only make a few exceptions. The prices are too high imo and then comes the inevitable season pass on top, just nope.

• 2 months later...

Very rarely...

Truth is, we're spoiled as gamers today with value for money. As money-grubbing as the industry is, we generally have a better deal today more than ever and because of that my mentality on value has become warped to the point where I see a new videogame at full price and feel like "whoah, I ain't paying that" xD and I know that's me being a bit greedy and entitled, but I can't help it. I know it's bound to go on sale, potentially as much as 50% within a year. I've got plenty of great games in my backlog, why not just wait for that inevitable price drop and pick it up later. Unless it's a online/community reliant game where you kinda miss out on the trend/buzz if you're late to the party then it's not like the game is going anywhere, you don't have to play a game on release day and it doesn't magically make the game more fun (heck, with patch culture the way it is you're probably grabbing a better game buying it post-launch anyway).

The worst thing is buying a game for full price, and then a few months later pops on PSN some complete edition and you feel dumb. I only buy digital, and only on sale. Usually at least 50% off, but sometimes I go for 30 or 40% if I really want the game. 

The last one was MK11 I think. 

This gen I've bought Elden Ring, Modern Warfare II and Resident Evil 4 for the full price and would have bought LAD Infinite Wealth but I still have Gaiden and Ishin to finish (also haven't finished Yakuza LAD by the launch day, but I just got my sweet 200th Platinum from it right now :) Had to quickly finish Resistance Retribution to make sure LAD will be the milestone :D) I actually wanted to buy it anyway to "thank" devs, because I absolutely fell in love with the series, but when I found out they (or rather SEGA) locked NG+ behind paywall I got mad and will wait for sale, so Ultimate edition will be for the price of regular one. I plan to buy GTA 6 and Dragon Quest XII day 1 in the future and who knows what else.
I guess I don't need to play most of the games day 1, usually don't fall for hype, also I like to wait for complete editions, properly working versions, not early access masquerading as final product and let's not forget PS+ Extra and Premium games and the massive backlog I've accumulated over the years. I don't like these subsciption services and its consequenses on the gaming industry, but damn, for a gamer like me who plays huge variety of games it's too good of an offer to pass on.
tl;dr not really, about 1 game per year on average

I rarely buy games as they come out in recent years for a number of reasons. I could be deep into a different game, so by time I'm ready to play that new game it could be on discount somewhere. Maybe the game just feels like its not worth $60/70, but a better buy at a cheaper price. Or the game could be a broken mess and not worth playing until actually optimized. It's mostly the first reason I mentioned.

I maybe buy a game day one once a year, possibly two.

There are exceptions - franchises that I am a big fan of I typically will buy day one. These are games that I absolutely can't take a risk getting spoiled (TLOU for example). Or it could be I'm just willing to take that gamble.

My most recent day one buy was Forza Motorsport (2023). I hadn't bought a new FM game on launch since the 2005 original. No regrets, as I have sunk 100+ hours into the game. It has it's issues, and the "career mode" is severely lacking, but I've gotten my money's worth.

Rarely if ever.

I never had a ps4, so I have a big wishlist to catch up on, and I’d rather pay €20~ for a complete edition of an old game(SFV,

Champion Edition, Bloodborne GOTY Edition, Hollow Knight Voidheart etc), than €70 for a new game that will likely have dlc a few months after release.

I do get some indies for full price, since they’re a lot cheaper, but I still generally wait for sales :P

Nope, not any more. The most recent fully priced game on launch that I bought was GOW:R and I had no regrets there. But nowadays with AAA games costing  £70+ at launch, that is just way too expensive for me.  

I mostly wait to buy new games due to updates, patches, DLC, and the price. Now, I recently pre-ordered 3 games that are coming out in the next 60 days as I haven't bought a day 1 game since God of War Ragnarok and maybe MW22. Outside of that, I can wait on new games while I work on my backlog and PS+ games lol