Do you still buy games on release at full price? What was the last game you bought new and when?

GamingMethodist

Never, my most expensive game that I bought was L.A Noire Definitive Edition on PS3 for 43 bucks and I tend to favor brand new games in physical copies.

And for now my latest most expensive game full price was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 for 35 bucks on PS4 knowing that I have also bought games like RDR2, Jedi Fallen Order or AC Origins for 25 bucks brand new games each that I'll launch later. 

So basically the more time flies, the less I pay. 😏

4 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Once every couple of years maybe.  Almost never for single player-only games.  

My backlog is too big to justify spending a premium to have the content at launch when it will be greatly reduced a few months later.

I meant to add that The Crew Motorfest was my last day 1 purchase as the ability to import your vehicle collection from The Crew 2 got me excited and I like to compete  in Summit weekly challenges most weeks.  You are at an advantage leveling up your cars earlier on (or rather at a disadvantage if you don’t).  

The last day 1 purchase before that was an NBA 2K.  Similarly, it’s a game as a service with new content dropping all the time.  Building up and playing your MyTeam is most fun on equal footing.

The last campaign (single player only) game I bought for full price?  Maybe L.A. Noire on ps3!?  Just no need to pay a premium for those.  

For me, it depends how invested I am in the franchise at the time. For example - I bought Spiderman 2 day one because I loved the first two, love Venom and know Insomniac are going to nail it. Ok, there are slight bug issues but the only one I encountered so far was simply rectified by restarting the last checkpoint. 

I bought Powerwash Sim day one or two because I'd looked up gameplay and guides on the steam version prior and found it to be my cup of tea. Also helped that the game was about £20 on release which was great. 

TABS was another one which was under £20 and I was interested in. Red Dead 2 was a day one purchase 2 because of the hype around it - which to me was justified.

Having said that, I actually rarely buy games brand new full price. I am a sucker for Sony sales and 2nd hand games on Ebay/ marketplace etc. 

I think it's 'each to their own'. Financially, I'm not in a position to buy all the games on release but that's ok. I find the fun in searching for bargains of games I'm interested in, and besides, years of adding to my backlog means I have heaps and heaps of games to complete and even start.

• Like 1

Very rarely, esp when it comes to AAA games! I always buy digital. I did buy Baldur's Gate 3 special edition or whatever for $80... Then the last game I bought full price before that was Elden Ring last year, just to give an idea. Then I can't even remember what came before that but it was probably a few years prior.

I usually do, mostly exclusives and triple A hyped games. Last two was AC Mirage & Spider-man 2. Next one will be Alan Wake 2. I often buy physical copies because I love them better and I love to "showcase" them. It will be nice after decades to take a look on them. Unfortunately AW 2 is digital only so I won't have any choice. I also buy a lot indies in the store, for example I pre-ordered Jusant and Talos Principle 2. 

Rarely ever. Just recently got Spiderman 2 because I loved the first one. Got Horizon Forbidden West on release but because I asked for that as a Christmas present. I think the game before that was Returnal. As a trophy hunter, i think it makes no sense buying games on release day, given the best of majority of us have a backlog we may never complete 😂 so we might as well save some money 

I'd say about 80% of my game purchases are pre-orders or day 1 buys. 15% is games I would have bought day 1, but they came out too close to another game I was interested in. The last 5% is games that missed my radar and I spot them in a sale.

I know what I like and I don't see a reason to wait on experiencing games just to save like 20$ or w/e. I'm not rich by any means, but gaming is literally my only hobby so my side cash is readily available.

• Like 1

Buying games at release has lost its value in my opinion. Waiting is not only beneficial in terms of getting the fully patched and "fixed" product, but it is also advantageous from a trophy-hunting perspective- because you can just finish the game without having to worry about upcoming DLCs and New game plus modes. Add that to the enormous backlog one might have, and I don't really see the point of buying at release.

F1 22 was the last game I got day 1 and Two Point Campus I got about a month after release but still full price. Both were over a year ago. I haven’t got many games since, full price or otherwise. I think I bought about 3 games this year that were on sale. Yup, I’ve really cut back recently.

These days i only buy niche stuff like atelier or trails series af fullish price because more often then not i rarely see these games drop in price below 30$ on digital sales and if im paying more then 30 for a game ill go for the physical version since these games have low print runs anyways. Ea or ubisoft stuff ill wait a year because they get pretty cheap 6 months down the road.

Occasionally, but it’s generally more out of a sense of wanting to show support to a developer or specific game or series than out of an extreme desire to play the game immediately.

For sure I get excited to play some games… but there’s usually so many games I’m looking forward to that I could just wait for everything to be a little cheaper 😂

Sometimes though, I’m happy to pay the full whack, just to kinda say “I dig what you’re doing, dev, so here’s my money, and please keep doing it!”

Oh - and last time I did so was…

…today! 
(Alan Wake II)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Yes, I actually buy most of my games physically on day 1. But I try to buy many of the more costly AAA titles through eBay-sellers who sell them for a bit less.

I also sell 95% of all my games right after I finished them on eBay. So I get a bit of money back.

I only keep very few games in my collection. Only those I really enjoyed.

• Like 1

Most of the games I bought day 1 are indie/AA games that were sold for like 39$ max. Of course there some games that I couldn't resist like Elden Ring, Dead Space Remake or most likely Persona 3 Reload but it's pretty rare for me to buy a game for such a high price. 

• Like 1