Do you still buy games on release at full price? What was the last game you bought new and when?

GamingMethodist

I currently have the Persona 3 Reload Aigis Edition and the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Deluxe Edition pre-ordered so yes I still buy certain games for their full day one retail price if it's a series I'm passionate about and a studio/dev team I have confidence in. 

I must say that's happening less and less for me nowadays though and I often find myself waiting for reviews, patches, updates, price drops etc because you live, you learn and you realize that's the sensible approach to take most of the time. 

Nowadays, the only games I buy at launch are from franchises I'm completely invested in, and there are very few. This year, the only games I bought at launch were Final Fantasy XVI and Alan Wake II.  Not planning on buying anything else this year, unless the DLC from these two games come out... 😛

Anything else can wait while I clear my backlog.

• Like 1

Certainly. Slowing a little bit lately as I've bought a number that I've yet to even play (I will get round to them guaranteed), but hey, showing support. I'm getting most of them physical too which gets you a nice discount.

It might well be what I'm buying and playing, but the whole matter of 'wait for it to be patched better in 6 months' or whatever is not something I have to give thought to.

I never buy games at full price, I stopped after I started working and having to earn my own money, so basically every since graduation and daddy bank was cut off. Prior to that I was always getting collectors ed's and day one releases, as it wasn't my money, but now that I have to budget and work long hours to pay for things. I am a bargain hunter all the way, carefully looking at sale trends, waiting ages for price drops and used copies etc.. before getting a game. Or even better yet if I am really lucky, ps plus gives to me (like it did a few times like for detroit, YS, FF and KH games etc... )

The last full price game I bought recently was probably persona 3 portable only because the full price is super cheap for a 100 hour game. Other than that, not since Lightning Returns was released on PS3. 

• Like 1

It really depends for me if the company is trust worthy or not or if it's a title I'm truly interested in. For the most part, if it isn't from Atlus, FromSoftware, or Capcom, chances are I'm waiting for it to go cheaper.

But the last full price game I bought was Final Fantasy 16, simply because it was Yoshi P & it actually looked good. My next one will be Persona 5 Tactica which I have on pre-order right now.

• Like 1

Absolutely and my last one was Spider-Man 2.

I can’t wait if I’m really keen on a game. Waiting for a price drop means it’ll be an few extra months of waiting. Plus it opens the door for spoilers so fuck that.

Edited by Feral

Maybe once a year orso. This year the only game I payed full price for was Octopath Traveler II and it was worth every penny. It’s still GOTY for me.

I will also grab the new Call of Duty in 2 weeks time so I can play some MP with my irl friends for a few months and forget about trophies for a while.

But mostly I wait for deep sales and complete editions.

Edit: I forgot FFXVI. I also always make an exception for new main line FF games.

Edited by Baker

5 hours ago, GamingMethodist said:

Just wondering given how expensive games can be at release these days.

You do realise gaming is cheaper than past generations yeah? I remember my mum getting me Super Street fighter 2 on the SNES and that cost £90 in 1994. Increase that for inflation and it'd be £221 in today's money.

As for buying games day one now? No. I'm not a fan of the so called triple AAA games and I don't wanna pay to beta test. Then you get hit with their season pass nonsense too. Not into that

Not  usually, no. Last time I did that was with Forbidden West because I got a gift card worth the price of that game for Christmas.

Last time I bought a game at full price at release from my own money was... Oh dear, Pokémon Black. Pokémon was the only series I regularly did that with.

Depends on the game, if it's something I really like, e.g. Resident Evil or MGS, I buy it day one

Often I can buy game on the first day, complete it and then sell...

And sometimes I can wait a year until complete edition will be available and then buy it. Exactly why I won't be buying Spider-Man 2 anytime soon

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've bought a game at full price/on release in my entire life.

The last Playstation game I got day 1 was Red Dead Redemption 2.

I did actually preorder Super Mario Wonder for last Friday, but Nintendo exclusives never really drop in price anyway and at least I know I'm going to get a finished, quality product from them.

I rarely buy any game full price since 2016, I just don’t see it as a good investment, but at launch and it’s full of bugs and no dlc or wait a year or two and get a fully patched game with the dlc for a quartter of launch price. 

This gen has actually been a let down for with the exception of dead space remake, everything else has been released on ps4 aswell, I actually regret having bought a few ps5s as I rarely touch them with the exception wanting background noise coming from my living room 

I still buy plenty at launch/full price but it's almost exclusively AA/indie games (which are often cheaper anyway) since I want to put my money where my mouth is and support the kinds of games I like when they get made. I've bought 13 games at full price this year (and have 2 more pre-ordered) with FF16 being the only big release of those.

Final Fantasy XVI. I used to buy a new game pretty much every week, but I’m very disillusioned by the industry and just wait for most stuff now. Unless I really want to play it then and there and with $70 that’s a tough ask. I’ve only purchased 3 games at that price if we count one my husband bought me.

Edited by Elvick_