Do you still buy games on release at full price? What was the last game you bought new and when?

GamingMethodist

I used to pre order more back in the xbox360 days when I had barely any money haha.

This year I pre orderd a lot more then usual because I have a job now so I could afford it.

Fatal Frame Mask of the Lunar Eclipse.

Alan Wake 2 digital deluxe edition.

Tintin reporter cigars of the pharaoh limited edition.

Alone in the dark for next year.

Also bought Hogwarts Legacy but not on release.

I actually like digital pre orders for games I really want to play.

Alan Wake 2 came out on a day I didn't had to work. So I could download it a few days earlier (my internet is not that good) and could enjoy it during my full free day.

Except for Tintin, I didn't have a lot of trouble with broken games on release.

No I don’t buy at full price, As far as memory serves the last game I bought new was The Witcher III at launch.

But I have a tendency of not playing what I bought straight away in this case it was a month later.

Me not playing straight away is also the reason I haven’t bought any game at release since. I had less games back then also compared to now so yeah I decided a long time ago I’ll just wait for a sale.

I almost never buy games day one in the last couple of years cause i think many many devs don`t deserve the support tbh. One million day one patches, unfinished games, cut out content they sell you separately 4 weeks later with dlc and many more reasons brought me to a point where i wait for a 50 % pice drop. I usually buy games 6-12 month later simply because i absolutely have no stress. I have a huge backlog with so many great games so there are always games to play for me and go back to.

But i do make exceptions, especially when it comes to indie developers, because many of them put their heart into their products and this is something i do support. Games such as Cult of the Lamb, Death`Door, Sifu and a lot more. I sometimes even buy their CE afterwards again for my collection.

As someone who has a gaming room i never sell any games so this is something you need to put in consideration as well. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

Maybe 3 a year on average. It needs to be a big game that I know I will spend dozens of hours in at a minimum. My last one was The Crew Motorfest and I got the $100 version for the season pass. For most games though I wait until they drop to $40 and sometimes $20 if I'm unsure about it.

The next one I plan to get day one will be Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth.

Edited by Sn1per666999

Only the PS3 and PS4 Kingdom Hearts games, the most recent being Melody of Memory.

A brief look at the PSNP+ Unobtainable Trophies Master List and Non-Syncing Trophy Lists threads might discourage some from making day 1 purchases. There’s more to elaborate on that subject, but game development has suffered from the lack of stakes tied to what used to be a physical, disc/cartridge only medium.

Edited by EqualityEarth
  • Like 2

If a dev has earned my money through consistent good releases, and I mean day 1 good, not 2 years later good like cyberpunk 2077, I'll continue to support them with day 1 purchases. Currently, the list of devs I do this for is RGG, Vanillaware, and Supergiant Games. So overall, not often, but if you prove you're worth it, you can get my full price purchase.

• Like 1

The last time I bought a game at full price was I believe Olli Olli World.

But with premium, extra, deals here and there and sharing between friends my backlog is huge.

The last 2 games I bought on sale was Yakuza Ishin and RDR 2 (physicall on Black Friday)

Edited by ShadyWARcotix

48 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

Kingdom Hearts games..

PSNP+ Unobtainable Trophies Master List and Non-Syncing Trophy Lists threads…

A little fun fact, the PS4 version of Kingdom Hearts 1 did receive a patch, but the game itself wasn’t even broken. In fact, it simply addressed concerns dating from the PS3 version that didn’t even necessarily doom the platinum journey. Just a Theater mode, and some game quirks making it harder to get the Serenity Power synth item (as in, a 100% drop chance), off the top of my head. It was already 60 FPS to begin with come to PS4, and I’ll tell you the sight of it onscreen is worth the full price.

Edited by EqualityEarth
  • Like 1

I do, regular unregular, but often enough.

Normally I have no idea which/what games will be released at which date.

Sometimes it's just me browsing through the newest releases on the PSN Store, when I suddenly see a game that looks/sounds intresting.

If it catches my interest, I do a spontanous buy.

Other times it's planed. This month for example I had 2 games on my list, which I wanted to have.

Dungeons 4 and Persona 5 Tactica

So I bought them as soon as I could.

P5T even tricked me into buying the bigger version, for the DLC story with Kasumi - and landed a lowblow when afterwards it said "for completing the DLC we will add some bonuses, including the characters, into your NG+".

Soooo disappointing *pouts* have to wait... *sniff*

The DLC story was cool though.

For me it's a case to case decision whether a game is worth the full price to me, or not.

It is very rare, always has been. Out of all the games on my PSN account, I only bought 4 of them early at full price, the ones being Metal Gear Solid V TPP, The Witcher 3, God Of War 2018, and Kingdom Come Deliverance. Already paranoid about buying full price as it was, Kingdom Come, bought by me in early 2018, so almost 6 years ago by now, being in a completely broken, downright unplayable state at launch despite being a crowd funded game, still being borderline unplayable and certainly fully unenjoyable over half a year later still having many of the same bugs, it put me off from buying any other game for full price since then. God Of War was pre ordered before, but not played until later due to A, time restrictions and B, Kingdom Come being such a turd that it put me off from wanting to play any other new game at the time. The realization of how dumb it was to pay full price, and the asking price for a day 1 or early full price purchase having even been increased since then, would already make it almost impossible for me to consider doing it again, but alas there is an even bigger reason to not doing it, not wanting to support these practices.

The fact that the average state of the games on release day has been growing ever worse since then, even in games made by formerly respected developers like CD Project Red, and adding further still that even games which are not suffering from being broken could still have an overall bad experience with the surprise shoving in of things I simply refuse to tolerate in the games I play, there is no realistic chance that I will buy another game at full price again, unless that full price already starts pretty low due to it being an indy game from a developer I like.

Being immune to fomo really helps in that regard, I don't care what people deem the hot shit currently, I can buy games months later, years later even, for a fraction of the cost, yet still getting a factually superior experience due to content patches, bugfixes, dlc, more information being available if needed etc. This may sound rough, but anyone who is paying 70-80 for a broken game that they then have to pretty much beta test is an actual idiot, a dumbfuck who makes the industry worse for everyone else overall by financially rewarding scummy practices with his spending habits, furthering this "shit it out now, fix it later, maybe" mentality. They are barely above sports games whales in my eyes. If these people could keep it in their pants for a few more days until proper reviews show them the state of things, and then, if necessary, until a broken game is actually somewhat finished and functional, our industry wouldn't be in the shit state its in right now.

Edited by Dauersack

Absolutely not, there simply isn't a single reason and justification to do so. The last game I bought for a full price was in 2017 and that one was already an exception.

With my backlog of over hundreds of never played games that I purchased in the past. On top of that games from Plus and now also games I'd like to play from Extra, I simply can't throw $60 on a game because it's new and shiny.

I'm lucky enough I can afford it but it's not a responsible thing to do. 

I don’t usually buy my games full price these days but I did use too when I was younger with disposable income! These days I’ve bought the following games full price since ps5 released:

Spiderman Miles Morales

Hogwarts Legacy

Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Battlefield 2042

Star Wars Lego Skywalker Saga

But there were generally reasons why I got them at full price - BF to be playing online with friends, Jedi was bought with gifted vouchers etc. 

Most of my other games are bought on sale ( roughly £20-25 is my go to price) or I buy second hand using trade ins which is why I would never want disc based gaming to truly die out!