What games would get my wife into gaming?

dmsleight

My fiancé likes to play The Sims and thats basically it. She has always hated watching her younger brothers play games because they only play Fortnite or Call of Duty online. I explained to her at dinner one time that I would love to play some story heavy single player games with her next to me. Shockingly she actually wasn't very aware that games can be a huge avenue to tell an amazing story. Explained that some of these story driven games are better than most TV shows and movies and if she really thought about it, these games could basically be our own personal TV show that not many people in our circle even know about. So she sat down and took the chance to watch me play some single player stuff and I would get calls from her very consistently after that about how excited she was to see what happens next and had theories for what was gonna happen in the story. Became a big bonding moment when we started Final Fantasy 16 and she actually started getting emotional during it.

• Like 1

I am a "wife" and I would have selected different games from what was listed so far because I like:

Dark Souls

Bloodborne

Sekiro

Mortal Kombat 11

Injustice 2

There aren't just for boys imo. They are all excellent masterpieces. (with the exception of MK11s story mode)

Whereas my husband plays Fifa.....

...and nothing else. 

• Like 3

1) Co op games as already mentioned by others - It Takes Two, A Way Out, and maybe the Lego games, since you can help her get accustomed to the controls and gameplay. 

2) Interactive games by Supermassive games, Wales Interactive and Quantic Dreams - as they just feel like they're watching a movie. I would try to put the titles with more QTE to story impact, as I noticed first hand they get stressed and fear they killed off the onscreen character lol. 

3) Quirky indie puzzle/kids games like Scribblenauts, Doki-Doki Universe, Zoink Games (Stick it to the Man, Flipping Death, etc) 

• 2 weeks later...

Granted, I have always shown interest in gaming as a girl growing up, but what really got me into it weren’t boring Sims or cutesy Animal Crossing, but action driven games where the lead was also a woman. I started with things Tomb Raider and Oni, and became everyday gamer/trophy hunter with Horizon Zero Dawn. I got into Assassin’s Creed because of Odyssey’s Kassandra. A lot of suggestions here wouldn’t apply to me personally. If anything, I think a gripping story and exciting action will retain someone’s attention far longer than platforming, farming, or house decorating. At the end of the day, though, some people are just not into gaming, and that’s okay.

Depends on the individual really. My girlfriend likes RPGs - especially roguelike. Some of the games she likes to play are Cult of the Lamb, The Binding of Isaac, Hollow Knight, Death's Door, Undertale, Plague Inc, and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. She also likes It Takes Two and as a result wants to find more games we can play together. 

Edited by Vrisnem

I'm just a long time girlfriend , but if you want to get your wife to play games, try a colorful pool of Souls Like, JRPG, western role playing games, cozy games ect. And the game your wife will choose, just let her play it. Because supply determines demand. This saying can be applied to practically all areas of life.

Edited by Chirithy84

If she likes sports - the official game of that sport 

If she likes movies/strong plots- stuff like what remains of Edith finch

Likes to chill with a book or hobby- stuff like stardew, journey , unpacking or abzu 

Likes fantasy TV series/movies- try stuff like skyrim

Likes puzzles- puzzle games but only ones that can't be achieved irl like the witness. 

Lack of free time- arcade or retro games or just short games in general.

Has a hobby- game relating to that hobby.

Had a hard day at work- mortal kombat or other fighting games

Multiplayer games- mario kart, mario party, fall guys etc

remakes of games played when she was a child

Also try sims and minecraft if nothing else.

If you had switch, I’d recommend animal crossing. My wife had an absolute blast with it and she is not a gamer at all. 

Hogwarts legacy could be a good option if she is interested in HP universe. Actually picking the game based on the favourite franchise would be a good choice.

• Like 1

The genre "games a woman would like" does not exist but I would try and make her play games with great stories.

The Last of Us Part 1 and Part 2 are great games to get into videogames story telling they are not too long and can be enjoyed just by what they are.

But it's ok if she does not like videogames, it's a hobby and it might not be fun for everyone.

Maybe look up some nice cozy games? I really liked Cozy Grove. It's like Animal Crossing but more story driven. My second advice would be to find out if there are movies or books that are made into video games.

Maybe it would help us to include what other hobbies she has, what books she reads, or what movies/shows she watches. 

In my experience, I find that the cinematic games have worked better in bridging the gap with non-gamers. I have had friends and family members who weren't majorly into games find a passion within the hobby via the likes of The Last of Us, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7 and 8, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Until Dawn and The Quarry, etc. The more cinematic and movie-like games have always successfully struck a cord with the non-gamers in my circle.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 4:55 AM, ddracarys said:

In my experience, I find that the cinematic games have worked better in bridging the gap with non-gamers. I have had friends and family members who weren't majorly into games find a passion within the hobby via the likes of The Last of Us, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7 and 8, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Until Dawn and The Quarry, etc. The more cinematic and movie-like games have always successfully struck a cord with the non-gamers in my circle.

This would also be my recommendation. Heavy Rain, Untill Dawn, The Quarry, etc.

• Like 1