Kaitlyn Dever cast as Abby in Seasoon 2 of The Last of Us

So, the Naughty Dog universe is folding in on itself....

Spoiler

....Nathan Drake's and Elena's daughter is the one who kills Joel?? 😮 😂

Good choice anyways - she's a great young actress 👍

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Add spoiler
  • Haha 3

Coincidentally Kaitlyn Dever was actually my #1 pick to play Ellie in the show and I thought she would have fit that role perfectly. It’s hard to picture her as Abby to be honest, not just physically but also because the character is so different than anything I’ve seen her play before, but then again she’s a very talented young actress so I’m sure she’ll pull it off.

• Like 1

I personally tend to find that the average TV watcher is much less emotionally invested in the content they consume, probably because it's such a passive pastime, so I'd be very surprised if the reaction is anywhere near as strong. HBO viewers also haven't been waiting 7 years for a sequel and I reckon they will add a lot more padding/build up before the Joel in one moment this time around which may help in avoiding the whiplash effect experienced by many in 2020. 

Edited by SwiftGuyver

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hopefully the average HBO viewer is marginally less unhinged than the average gamer…

I've not watched Game of Thrones, but I do know about the Eighth series kerfuffle. I'd still recommend that she trains in at least 4 forms of self defence.

38 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Coincidentally Kaitlyn Dever was actually my #1 pick to play Ellie in the show and I thought she would have fit that role perfectly. It’s hard to picture her as Abby to be honest, not just physically but also because the character is so different than anything I’ve seen her play before, but then again she’s a very talented young actress so I’m sure she’ll pull it off.

Mine as well. Dever would've been the perfect Ellie, her style fits that role to a T (not to mention, she looks so much like Ellie too) so it's a bit of a slap in the face that they give her Abby instead. Coincidentally, I also think Bella would've made a really good Abby too. In a perfect world, I'd swap those 2. 

Perhaps she wanted a more challenging role to play and do a character that's different than anything she's done before and if that's the case, Abby would make more sense I suppose. 

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

So, the Naughty Dog universe is folding in on itself....

....Nathan Drake's and Elena's daughter is the one who kills Joel?? 😮 😂

And Joel is the one who kills Nathan Drake 🤯

• Like 2

She’s going to be amazing!! She’s great in Justified. However I think they are going to really lean on her with getting viewers to sympathize with Abby and to eventually see her POV and hopefully end up liking her or at the very least understanding her motives. No better choice then her she’s very talented.

1 hour ago, SwiftGuyver said:

I personally tend to find that the average TV watcher is much less emotionally invested in the content they consume, probably because it's such a passive pastime, so I'd be very surprised if the reaction is anywhere near as strong. HBO viewers also haven't been waiting 7 years for a sequel and I reckon they will add a lot more padding/build up before the Joel in one moment this time around which may help in avoiding the whiplash effect experienced by many in 2020. 

How do you research this?
There are reddits and forums dedicated upsetting character deaths.

Many of the gamers that are upset over stuff in TLOU are also TV/movie watchers that also get upset from deaths there.

Hell, HBO is known for bad character deaths in several of their series.

1 hour ago, mega-tallica said:

Mine as well. Dever would've been the perfect Ellie, her style fits that role to a T (not to mention, she looks so much like Ellie too) so it's a bit of a slap in the face that they give her Abby instead. Coincidentally, I also think Bella would've made a really good Abby too. In a perfect world, I'd swap those 2. 

Perhaps she wanted a more challenging role to play and do a character that's different than anything she's done before and if that's the case, Abby would make more sense I suppose. 

Yeah I completely agree. She still looks very young for her age, but even more so just a few years ago. Her looks, mannerisms and general demeanour in a lot of the stuff I’ve seen her in would’ve made her the perfect Ellie in my opinion. I don’t mean to knock Bella, but I’ve always thought she was miscast for that role and I continue to struggle with seeing her as young Ellie, let alone the more mature adult version of Ellie from Part 2.

As for Kaitlyn, the casting again feels a bit off, but I think the role of Abby will at least give her a chance to really flex her acting chops, as Abby’s whole character with the anger, attitude and outward toughness will be very different than anything she’s played before (at least that I’ve seen). I imagine it will be quite a challenging role for her and will certainly bring her a lot of attention if she pulls it off convincingly.

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

How do you research this?
There are reddits and forums dedicated upsetting character deaths.

Many of the gamers that are upset over stuff in TLOU are also TV/movie watchers that also get upset from deaths there.

Hell, HBO is known for bad character deaths in several of their series.

Obviously my comment was anecdotal, you're correct that there are still plenty of TV watchers who have reacted badly to character deaths etc in the past and most likely will again in the future but I don't personally see the same level of emotional investment from them as often or as widespread as I do in gamers. I could be wrong but I just feel like the backlash, if there even is one, won't be as severe as it was in 2020. If there is negativity it will probably be coming from people who played the game back then rather than people who have only watched the show. 

What a joke...

Ever since they announced the Last of Us TV Show, I've been saying one thing.

Kaitlyn Dever would be a great Ellie.

She has the looks, and if you have seen the shows/movies she plays in, you know that she has the same personality.

What do we get? A discount version of Ellie and Joel...

And now they cast her as Abby?

Like, just watch the show "Last Man Standing." 

The role that Kaitlyn plays in there is so much like Ellie (Without the horror, of course.)

That put aside, I haven't even finished Season 1 and am not going to watch Season 2.

Stopped after a couple episodes after about the 20th time they changed something for the worse from the game.

Already starting in the first five minutes.

The perfect intro in the game replaced by... well, something else...

But then again...

Not the first show that ignores the source material and I'm sure it won't be the last either. :(

While I understand she was a little too old, Kaitlyn Dever always struck me as a fit for Ellie.

It's tough to picture her as Abby. The Abby flashbacks when we see her at her youngest seem too close to the current timeline to use a different actor and would be pushing it to use Kaitlyn Dever for them, given Abby is probably 18 or under in them. And if Kaitlyn was just playing a younger Abby, I guarantee that would've been clarified. 

I'm pretty sure Season 2 is just about to start filming in winter, not realistic enough for Kaitlyn to just now start bulking up. Abby will probably have a pretty average body type and only somewhat more muscular than Kaitlyn normally is.