Microsoft Confirms Plans To Release Xbox First Party Games “Across All Platforms”, Including PlayStation

Rebourne07

4 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

This is a good point. Honestly though, from a consumer standpoint does it matter if they buy up stuff as long as it's released on all platforms? Like I was pissed that Fallout and Doom would be taken away. But if future entries get put on Playstation then, as long as xbox doesn't cut funding and make them crappy games, sounds like things continue like business as usual except instead of zenimax getting the cut of sales its microsoft. Right?

From a consumer standpoint, Microsoft buying additional companies gives them a monopoly on distribution and negotiation with other platforms. This can translate into higher prices or increased restrictions when buying products. Minecraft makes you sign up for a Microsoft account now where you didn't need to before and this is just a benign (somewhat) example.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Cuphead developers thanking Microsoft when bringing the game to Switch could be seen as you see it, but I don't see it that way. They thanked Microsoft because the Microsoft astroturfing network promoted their game which helped get it attention on other platforms. That is all.

It wasn't the devs thanking MS, it was Nintendo. Also, there's this old article:

https://www.eurogamer.net/cuphead-will-never-come-to-ps4#:~:text=Cuphead is a console exclusive,fide Xbox One console exclusive.

Which is funny to read now, since it didn't hold true. Couple of years later, there was this:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/microsoft_asked_the_studio_behind_cuphead_to_bring_the_game_to_switch

So it seems like MS was involved. Not sure why people find this so hard to accept? 🤷‍♂️ I agree that MS played no part in making these games great, but they did have a say in where they go.

5 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

This is a good point. Honestly though, from a consumer standpoint does it matter if they buy up stuff as long as it's released on all platforms? Like I was pissed that Fallout and Doom would be taken away. But if future entries get put on Playstation then, as long as xbox doesn't cut funding and make them crappy games, sounds like things continue like business as usual except instead of zenimax getting the cut of sales its microsoft. Right?

To be clear on that matter, them becoming a third party publisher is not 'one neat trick' to allow them to buy up the rest of the industry unimpeded. Microsoft even as a third party publisher is still in competition with everyone else and buying up the competition to such an extent is (supposed to be) a big no-no. Nothing would also stop them buying up everybody and then once again establishing a platform.

As for why it would be bad from a consumer standpoint. Microsoft largely makes whatever development studios/IPs they buy out worse. If you like something you shouldn't want to see it get withered away by Xbox's reverse Midas touch. The few exceptions that exist like Mojang are a likely result of the details of the buyout requiring Microsoft to leave them untouched, hence why we saw in emails Spencer's frustrations at trying to make a Minecraft game exclusive and being unable to make it happen even though he is literally the boss.

4 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

It wasn't the devs thanking MS, it was Nintendo. Also, there's this old article:

https://www.eurogamer.net/cuphead-will-never-come-to-ps4#:~:text=Cuphead is a console exclusive,fide Xbox One console exclusive.

Which is funny to read now, since it didn't hold true. Couple of years later, there was this:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/microsoft_asked_the_studio_behind_cuphead_to_bring_the_game_to_switch

So it seems like MS was involved. Not sure why people find this so hard to accept? 🤷‍♂️ I agree that MS played no part in making these games great, but they did have a say in where they go.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/cuphead-will-bring-xbox-live-to-switch

"You can thank StudioMDHR for making their award-winning game so special, and our friends at Microsoft for helping us bring Cuphead to even more players," Nintendo manager of publisher and developer relations Kirk Scott said during the clip.

"We'll be working with StudioMDHR to implement Xbox Live features into Cuphead on the Nintendo Switch in the coming months," Charla said. Given the early stage of our work with StudioMDHR, the Xbox Live features will appear in a post-launch update to Cuphead on Nintendo Switch. We'd like to thank Studio MDHR and Nintendo for their help in this investigation!"

The thanks from Nintendo seems to be for Microsoft doing whatever work was required to get the Xbox Live features, whatever those were, on the Nintendo version. That said, looking at the times of the ports for Switch and PS4... it could well be that Microsoft let them out of the timed exclusive period early for the Switch version, but I doubt that would happen as it is framed in the second link you posted. I imagine the developer asked and Microsoft granted it as long as they could control the narrative. Having a developer ask to be let out of the timed exclusivity early looks bad, but framing it as you one day just randomly deciding to let them out of the timed period makes them look like good guys. Such PR was out there in full force for Xbox during those years.

5 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

In a perfect world, sure.

As a consumer, getting more games on my system of choice is a positive, but that's assuming things are just like before. Honestly, and I know how it sounds, everything Xbox seems to touch or get involved with always seems to go horribly wrong when it comes to releasing games. They seem to greenlight anything and have a really bad internal way of gauging game quality (somehow they thought Redfall was an 80), the results speak for themselves. I can see that mentality impacting future Bethesda and Activision titles. We don't know enough or have examples yet of what this looks like.

Thus, it's all speculation. On paper, what they are saying is great. However, I just have a hard time imagining it as they say it will happen.

A consequence of Xbox management being completely inept and having no failure state so people don't get replaced (they've instead been promoted) with someone who might know what they're doing. At PlayStation by comparison we've all heard the stories of for example the God of War team (a top team) being nervous about showing the game to PlayStation management, being told of issues with the game, and then fixing them. Game comes out and is a massive success. On the other hand we've also seen certain studios that PlayStation has partnered with, with the intention of possibly buying them out in the future, but PlayStation ends up cutting them as the team simply didn't meet their standards. Obviously that isn't to say that PlayStation's management is perfect, but the fact that a failure state exists means that the cream can rise to the top.

• Like 2

It would be so cynical of Microsoft if the new game releases are game series that they previously took away from us. COD, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, Crash etc.

Thank you generous Good Guy Microsoft<3(most valuable Company in the world)

Why did Bill Gates actually name his company after the contents of his pants???

• Haha 2

I would love to get Indiana Jones on PS5 but I doubt it. Or if it does happen, it'll be years from now. I'll still buy it the day they release it. I've been looking forward to playing a next gen Indy game for almost 2 decades back when it was the cancelled PS3/360 game

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised even if The Last Of Us ends up going to Xbox one day.

If they release with a delay of 2~3 years FOMO day one buyers would be unaffected (keeping the market advantage of exclusives games) and they would easily sell a few more million copies for the new platform.

It has been working well for Sony on PC ports

Edited by EdinhoN