Microsoft Confirms Plans To Release Xbox First Party Games “Across All Platforms”, Including PlayStation

Rebourne07

Disney is licensing some of their programs/films to rival platforms such as Netlix as well. That's probably not enough to make a real trend, but I wonder if the logic of corporate boards has gone from the belief in  "hoarding" content in order to draw an install base to a platform being the best option, and now changed to look more at things like collecting licensing fees and potential expansion across platforms being preferrable. 

2 minutes ago, imminent_jargon said:

Disney is licensing some of their programs/films to rival platforms such as Netlix as well. That's probably not enough to make a real trend, but I wonder if the logic of corporate boards has gone from the belief in  "hoarding" content in order to draw an install base to a platform being the best option, and now changed to look more at things like collecting licensing fees and potential expansion across platforms being preferrable. 

This is happening with a lot of the streaming services now.  They aren't sustainable so a lot of them are back to licensing out content (Disney and HBO/Warnerbros/Discovery for example).  We will probably see a couple of them either merge or shut down in the next few years.

7 minutes ago, imminent_jargon said:

This is primarily because Disney+ has been a money pit for Disney and with their string of movie flops and having to pay 25 billion for the remainder of Hulu has them cash strapped. MAX is in a similar predicament.

I only care enough to skim the article but I don't see any specific game names.  I think it's probably a given that some first party games will end up on the other platforms too.  For instance, I think a franchise like COD is more just a habitual purchase for people than something that'll sell consoles... if people suddenly can't play it, they'll just turn to another flavor of the month multiplayer game.  There's more money to be made keeping it on all platforms and relevant as long and as often as possible.  Whereas something like a new Elder Scrolls is a once in a generation (or longer) experience that you can't really get anywhere else, that'll move some Xbox's and Game Pass subscriptions.

Where the other games and franchises will release will probably vary based on that thread of logic.

1 hour ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

The head of XBOX just said it what more you need LOL I really dont want these games maybe hi fi thats it! 

They also said the Xbox One would never be sold without Kinect. Actions speak louder than words.

@topic - Xbox should move to being largely a 3rd party publisher given how many they bought. MS can't manage gaming companies.

I'd also say they should retain hardware, but position it as a Game Pass machine. Either go the cheap route, or go high end. I don't think they should do both. If I were them I'd aim for a high end niche so you offer the best performance on games and the best bang for your buck with their aggressive GP pricing. But it depends on how long they're willing to lose by undercutting GP.

They could easily condition people into buying an Xbox with GamePass because the idea of buying a console and not even needing to buy games would be highly appealing to a lot of people. Granted, I don't like that, but it would make more sense than whatever the hell they're trying to do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Teh_DDgamez said:

No one here mentions the 2 Ori games?! I mean i wouldn't mind hi fi rush and hellblade 2 or even a gow collection (the other gow...) but both Ori games and maybe sequels on ps5 would be crazy!!! 

Definitely gonna second Ori here! Hell, they've been on Nintendo Switch for years at this point, so a PlayStation port doesn't seem too out of the question, especially after today's news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’ll believe it when I see it

I agree with this take. If that were the case, there'd actually be ZERO reason to purchase an Xbox. Sure you got Gamepass, but seeing as how you can get the Gamepass on PC, it really just feels like the Xbox is trying to a cheaper alternative to a PC.

• Like 1

Isn't this release from last year? it is only now catching on because of some trolling and rumormilling on social media.

Me may be the head of MS but his comments about gaming really don't mean much to me.

Let me know when someone that counts speaks up from the Xbox division and comes with the names of games and other consoles.

Never liked the first party war, there are so many great games on all different consoles. I would totally love and buy some of these games, for sure. Played a lot of Xbox 360 and switched back to Playstation in 2011. It would be a great chance to replay some of the games i loved plus other bangers i never played. 

20 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

They also said the Xbox One would never be sold without Kinect. Actions speak louder than words.

@topic - Xbox should move to being largely a 3rd party publisher given how many they bought. MS can't manage gaming companies.

I'd also say they should retain hardware, but position it as a Game Pass machine. Either go the cheap route, or go high end. I don't think they should do both. If I were them I'd aim for a high end niche so you offer the best performance on games and the best bang for your buck with their aggressive GP pricing. But it depends on how long they're willing to lose by undercutting GP.

They could easily condition people into buying an Xbox with GamePass because the idea of buying a console and not even needing to buy games would be highly appealing to a lot of people. Granted, I don't like that, but it would make more sense than whatever the hell they're trying to do. 

True but money speaks louder the words and they are losing SHIT LOADS OF MONEY on consoles just wait till switch 2 comes out! THe console market will be 95% PS and NIN xbox knoiws this!! They just dont have a fighting chance 3rd party is the only way to save the XBOX brand!