Helldivers 2 - Updates & Patch Notes (current 1.000.304)

Ghost

PC players will need to make a PSN account if they want to keep playing:

Attention Helldivers, Due to technical issues at the launch of HELLDIVERS™ 2, we allowed the linking requirements for Steam accounts to a PlayStation Network account to be temporarily optional. That grace period will now expire.

Account linking plays a critical role in protecting our players and upholding the values of safety and security provided on PlayStation and PlayStation Studios games. This is our main way to protect players from griefing and abuse by enabling the banning of players that engage in that type of behaviour. It also allows those players that have been banned the right to appeal.

As such, as of May 6th, all new HELLDIVERS 2 players on Steam will be required to connect their Steam account to a PlayStation Network account. Current players on Steam will start to see the mandatory login from May 30th and will be required to have linked a Steam and PlayStation Network account by June 4th. PlayStation Network accounts are free and easy to set up using this link https://www.playstation.com/support/account/create-account-for-psn/

We understand that while this may be an inconvenience to some of you, this step will help us to continue to build a community that you are all proud to be a part of. Many thanks for your continued support of HELLDIVERS 2! Sony Interactive Entertainment

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mellenthin said:

Looks like they're more or less revolting over at Steam.😆

Normally I would be in the players' favour, but they have so far tolerated every other case of the same thing, and revolted against the case where it's actually justified, so they have no principled ground to stand on. The game was always supposed to have linked accounts to support cross progression (it did in fact have the "requires 3rd party account" tag on launch), it was just postponed for technical reasons.

That being said, the reason put forward in the official announcement was absolutely bogus, and it's completely understandable that it would cause such a negative reaction to people who are tired of corpo speak, so Arrowhead is definitely at fault on that regard.

• Confused 1

Sea of Thieves literally requires same, and I didnt see not one single revolting post in Sea of Thieves sub forum about this practice, which is already used with so many games before, what is that called, double standards? These people need to grow up.

• Like 2

Just now, Blitz said:

Sea of Thieves literally requires same, and I didnt see not one single revolting post in Sea of Thieves sub forum about this practice, which is already used with so many games before, what is that called, double standards? These people need to grow up.

The "real" problem was, that they sold in in countries, where a PSN account cant officialy be created in and thus locking those customers out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vendaar said:

The "real" problem was, that they sold in in countries, where a PSN account cant officialy be created in and thus locking those customers out.

Unless they either backtrack on their decision or refund those people affected, I think Arrowhead's headache will get much, much worse.🫤

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Vendaar said:

That is unfortunate situation which is for sure going to be taken care of, it is not in their interest to lock people from playing the game. In the meantime, as I see, some collegues from philippines are making psn accounts through vpn, registering on US or SG soil, not permanent solution, hopefully they will take care about that soon. They should have predicted that, they are not amateurs.

Edited by Blitz

Posted (edited)

i just watched a youtube video on this topic and some guy on reddit made a world map of all the countries you cannot make a psn account in, its literally like 1/3 of the world haha i didnt realize sony was resticted as much as it is

anyways, this should have been implemented before release

EA, UbiSoft and Blizzard does this already but theyve always required you to have a seperate account to sign in with to play their game

just sounds like some scummy bait and switch tactics 

Edited by Property_Damage
Fixed typos

34 minutes ago, Blitz said:

That is unfortunate situation which is for sure going to be taken care of, it is not in their interest to lock people from playing the game. In the meantime, as I see, some collegues from philippines are making psn accounts through vpn, registering on US or SG soil, not permanent solution, hopefully they will take care about that soon. They should have predicted that, they are not amateurs.

Data mining on Steam showed that they pushed/will push an update to stop selling the game to countries where PSN isn't available. At the very least that should mean that those affected are highly likely to be given a refund.

So far it hasn't been necessary to use a vpn to have a PSN account in another region btw, so long as they never use anything other than a PSN card when trying to buy something, they should be gucci.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NamoPh said:

Normally I would be in the players' favour, but they have so far tolerated every other case of the same thing, and revolted against the case where it's actually justified, so they have no principled ground to stand on. The game was always supposed to have linked accounts to support cross progression (it did in fact have the "requires 3rd party account" tag on launch), it was just postponed for technical reasons.

That being said, the reason put forward in the official announcement was absolutely bogus, and it's completely understandable that it would cause such a negative reaction to people who are tired of corpo speak, so Arrowhead is definitely at fault on that regard.

To be fair, most don't like it because Sony doesn't exactly have the best record when it comes to cybersecurity and it's another login on top of another login which is common but never liked in any instance. This is Sony wanting to data mine pure and simple and they're fumbling their biggest release to date over it.

Edited by majob
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

People's lives are really good if this stuff gets them so angry. As someone said, SoT has the same thing. I had to download the xbox app to play with my friend. Was it annoying? Slightly. Do  I care? Not at all.

It's the same people who get mad at the "censorship" of Stellar Blade. I swear the complainers across social media just don't enjoy gaming and need to find a new hobby. It's pretty pathetic honestly. Like a child who doesn't like it's toy.

I'm in a few MMA communities and they have the same issue. If you try finding online communities in your hobby, chances are a loud minority will bring everyone down.

Edited by L0sT_NZ_Kazekage
  • Like 2

Requiring multiple accounts to play one game being really stupid aside, can’t the people in countries without PSN just do what 90% of people on this site have done and just create an account in another country that does? What exactly is the problem? It’s a game account, not a background check for a home loan that will need to report to the IRS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Requiring multiple accounts to play one game being really stupid aside, can’t the people in countries without PSN just do what 90% of people on this site have done and just create an account in another country that does? What exactly is the problem? It’s a game account, not a background check for a home loan that will need to report to the IRS.

Sony got what he deserves there ,huge backlash and because of it the game just got delisted on steam in a huge amount of countries.

steam bypass the 2 hours playing refund for players who ask for it

that stupid episode of sony management makes me wonder what they expected on that

Just now, samunrizthym said:

Sony got what he deserves there ,huge backlash and because of it the game just got delisted on steam in a huge amount of countries.

steam bypass the 2 hours playing refund for players who ask for it

that stupid episode of sony management makes me wonder what they expected on that

Did Steam have to be that extreme? Wasn’t the requirement just that it had to be tied to PSN account or did Steam go overboard and dictate that they would no longer sell the game to accounts from non-PSN countries? I thought I read Steam was great and allowed people to change regions on their accounts. I suppose delisting in non-PSN regions will help drive awareness and reduce confusion from people in those regions figuring out they need to make a PSN account for another country, but all of this seems very circumventable and no one is going to checking and verifying account countries match so why all the hoopla?

Call it stupid, and click a few buttons to get around it… problem solved?

Helldivers fans -- we’ve heard your feedback on the Helldivers 2 account linking update. The May 6 update, which would have required Steam and PlayStation Network account linking for new players and for current players beginning May 30, will not be moving forward.

We’re still learning what is best for PC players and your feedback has been invaluable. Thanks again for your continued support of Helldivers 2 and we’ll keep you updated on future plans.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1787331667616829929

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Did Steam have to be that extreme? Wasn’t the requirement just that it had to be tied to PSN account or did Steam go overboard and dictate that they would no longer sell the game to accounts from non-PSN countries? I thought I read Steam was great and allowed people to change regions on their accounts. I suppose delisting in non-PSN regions will help drive awareness and reduce confusion from people in those regions figuring out they need to make a PSN account for another country, but all of this seems very circumventable and no one is going to checking and verifying account countries match so why all the hoopla?

Call it stupid, and click a few buttons to get around it… problem solved?

you are severely underestimating PC players. they will die on a hill before having to click one more time.

• Haha 1

I'm just getting caught up on this story. Cannot believe the amount of backlash that the Helldivers devs are getting. The real question I have that doesn't seem to be answered anywhere I look: why is PSN unavailable in so many countries? I'm guessing most are what you would describe as "shithole" countries? Is it trash government regimes that are disallowing it? Or what's the reason behind any given country not able to create a PSN account? Makes no sense to me. 

6 hours ago, Sponger760 said:

I'm just getting caught up on this story. Cannot believe the amount of backlash that the Helldivers devs are getting. The real question I have that doesn't seem to be answered anywhere I look: why is PSN unavailable in so many countries? I'm guessing most are what you would describe as "shithole" countries? Is it trash government regimes that are disallowing it? Or what's the reason behind any given country not able to create a PSN account? Makes no sense to me. 

Some countries are involved in war, others are dictatorships, currently being sanctioned, or simply not feasible for a multitude of reasons.

The fact that basically the entirety of Africa is excluded should speak volumes.

23 hours ago, L0sT_NZ_Kazekage said:

If you try finding online communities in your hobby, chances are a loud minority will bring everyone down.

It never ceases to amaze me how silly people get over the smallest of 'issues'. There's folk melting down as if this was the worst thing to ever happen to a videogame ever and somehow acting like Sony is the devil.

This ain't new and people were perfectly fine when this exact same thing has happened in reverse over the years going as far as to mock anyone who said they found it a tad inconvenient.

Unfortunately this isn't the first nor will it be the last time people have a meltdown, review bomb, harass people and more over a frivolous situation.

I'm sure next time it'll be because side character or NPCs boobs were made slightly smaller in a remaster/remake, that's always a reliable one to get the lil' gamer(tm) folk foaming at the mouth.

• Like 1

These players all had a right to be pissed off. The PSN account thing was supposed to be implemented at the start, so why in the hell would it get sold in countries where that isn't possible? That point is enough to warrant the backlash. 

The reason given "(security") is bullshit and we all know it. Plus, now that Sony has reversed their decision, does security not matter anymore?

I am one who holds a grudge when it comes to where I spend my money and if I had a PC you can be certain I wouldn't be buying any Sony games there from here on out.

• Like 1