What if trophies/achievements never existed?

I'd still buy as many titles as I would have, since I also have about 80 GCN games and 50 sega genesis titles. I would likely never play online with any of the games. and stick to playing single player. Plus I would've never played through Terminator Salvation more then once either, game was only enjoyable enough for 1 playthrough along with some other titles that could be said about that.

And the only online games I would probably be playing is Animal Crossing, Pokémon and Super Smash Bros.

On another note Eternal Sonata doesn't have trophies either and I played through the game a few times already. Plus I think trophies are kind of keeping me from playing Xbox 360.

I would still be playing the same games, but I probably wouldn't bother with the game's collectibles and in game trophies (like skill points in Ratchet) as much. Don't really bother with bad games just for a platinum, but I have done, Smart As (not done, but is in progress) and was considering PES 14 plat, since I've heard it's easy, plus I got from PS Plus.

I must say, though I would play the same games, there would be differences in how I play. So I buy and play a game because I like the game, not because I think I can get some trophies out of it. However, I always try to achieve 100% trophy completion, something I would not normally do. For instance, when I owned Prince of Persia Warrior Within on my GameCube, I played the game on medium difficulty and played it once acquiring the secret (cannon/true) ending. Easy is too easy and I want a challenge, but hard is just too hard and I get aggravated with the game, taking the fun out of it. There was no difference in beating the game on hard and easy, in the end, it's all the same. With the HD remake I found myself playing the game three times in a row to acquire the 100% completion. I have always played this way, trying to 100% complete a game, and trophies are like a log to document my progress. I think it greatly increases replay value in games.

If multiplayer trophies didn't exist I probably would never touch any multiplayer modes in primarily single player games. Any game that is multiplayer focused I would probably play for only a limited amount of time before moving onto the next game.

Oh, I forgot about this. I would probably never play a single mp match if there weren't trophies for it.

• 9 years later...