What if trophies/achievements never existed?

Well in all honesty I wouldnt finish all the games 100% if they didnt have trophies. I'd probably have less games and would probably play shooters online and rpgs. But I still dont get games that dont interest me. I think it's fun to complete all kind of games. As long as I can afford it =D

I'd own less games probably lol I defiantly wouldn't explore games if trophy's cease to exist. I'd probably buy the game, beat the story and never touch it again... unless I really like it in which case I'd do as everything the game has to offer. 

I'd be probably playing online shooters religiously, with a few 10 hour games in between (that I'll never go back to) 

Then I discovered Fallout, then Skyrim was released, then I started hunting trophies and pretty much stopped playing online shooters......... Until the day I discovered online trophies that is *cries*

I grew up with the NES and had all the systems in between and I got along fine without trophies. I think it's easy for those that grew up with these systems to remember what it was like gaming without trophies, but those that started gaming with the 360 and PS3 I think it would be hard for them to understand what it was like since being rewarded is basically all they are used to. I certainly enjoyed my old games as much as the new games with trophies, but the time I spend gaming is more focused now. I like to replay my old games every once and a while as well.

Bit harsh to say young people are used to being rewarded for everything, although it seems to be true lol

I grew up with gaming with the Commodore 64 and onwards and gaming was it's own reward, but I like the trophies, certainly more than the Xbox achievements.

If trophies weren't around, I probably wouldn't of started playing a lot of the games or genres that I now enjoy, trophies have opened up quite a few games that I thought I would hate but actually loved, like FarCry 3 and Darksiders.

Trophies have also stopped me playing some games, I'll probably never finish Eternal Sonata because it has no trophies and the games that do will always take priority. I am also reluctant to play AC: Brotherhood and the other AC games because although I kind of want them on my log I know I will never plat them. I do wish they hadn't tacked on the multiplayer, or made getting to max level a trophy. I could always use another account but it seems a shame.

Back in the PS2 and previous console years, I'd play a game because I wanted to, now if I'm not in the mood for trophy gathering I'll put playing the game off.

Edited by Lion-Lhasa

I would play games for less time (example: Mortal Kombat/Grand Theft Auto) but I would be playing the same games and try to get in game achievements and go for 100% completion like with GTA or Bully and definitely re-playing on hard mode like I did for PS2 games.

Edited by CuteBoringLove

story won't change for me then i still gonna play them hard, ps1 and ps2 teach me to try getting every single unlockable bonus in every game i owned so i can achieve 100% save file.... no need for trophies, to me trophies is like good graphics, it's a fun edition to games.

Edited by yellowwindow7

There would definitely be less people playing japanese VNs :lol:  I mostly play for the fun but I have to admit it does influence my choice of games a bit. I mean, I can't forgive myself for not playing Valkyria Chronicles but then again I don't want to play it because it doesn't have trophies. But that's the only restriction I have: as long as the game as trophies, be it 10 or 100, I'll buy it if I want to(and can afford it :lol: ). You can see that I have Hannah Montana in my profile but I bought that in my "shameless trophy whore" fase and with some friends- we split the price and it ended up being really cheap. I have to say, though, it was surprisingly good. The graphics were terrible but it was kind of an easier version of Project Diva with bad music, so bad that you can laugh at. And that's good. :D

wouldn't have completed a lot of games lol jk I still wouldn't complete them cause I don't like them or lost my game feel in them.

but really if trophies didn't exist I wouldn't try to playback some of the games that I thought were awful and think how stupid I was to think that I guess as people mature there game feel sometimes changes alongside their food, music and cloths taste

I hated rpg's and fighting games as a kid and as I grew up they became from my favorite genres .

I do love the trophy system because i am a competitive person , it is fun to compete with friends and see whp completes the game first or who has more leveling.The trophies also help you knowing better your online friends favorite games , wich game they played recently and what kind of game they play more. And of coursr some games take advantage of them to make people explore the game and keep the game active for longer ( specially online modes ). But that also helps us finding players whenever we care to play the game online. In my opinion it doesnt matter if there are people that would play games for exact trophies , is a matter of beeing competitive or not , its just a thing that says u have beaten all the game challenges but that matters for who has the interest. Buying a lot of games for trophies can either be stupid or not , each person has their own ambitions and values. Maybe some of them buy those hours of fun instead of alcohol and drugs lol but stop having your health life just to buy games u dont even like is ridiculous in my opinion. I would play all the games i have bought now still , but i admit having instaled plus games that i didnt like for the trophies.