What if trophies/achievements never existed?

I would most likely be playing ONLY the games I truly want to play, but on the other hand trophies did introduce me to a variety of games I would otherwise have never even dared have touched, such games that are usually very easy or imported games.

As for having fun, it wouldnt matter, i play games such as Final Fantasy and other JRPG's for the fun, not for its trophies, the trophies for games I truly enjoy are just an added bonus. :D

All I'm going to say is:

Trophies have at times helped the players get the game's complete experience. By letting you know what else can happen after finishing/beating the last boss/Story. Back then(when not many had Internet) we had to search by accident for a post-game ending side quest/mission, if the developers choose to give players more to do after the main story ended. For instance today if i finish a game and i pop all the main story trophies, and see that i haven't unlocked a "Beat ???" trophy then that tells me there's still more to the game, and possibly have to face the obvious secret boss; which is going to be stronger/harder then the final boss.

I consider the Platinum a "you've done it all" trophy especially for the games that don't have Multiplayer. Now I'm not saying all game's trophy sets are like this, and yes i know that some trophy sets don't make you get the full games experience(but a majority of the games out there do).

This is just my My opinion of course powered by my experiences. 

Edited by DarknessKey92
  • Like 3

interesting responses guys in my opinion you should play games for the fun they give you no the trophies, a lesson ive learn when i started collecting trophies because if you're playing just for trophies you lose the enjoyment in playing games therefore defeating the purpose of even playing the game

Speaking as someone who played videogames before the internet existed, I could quite easily go back to those days and still get alot out of the games. Don't get me wrong, I love trophies, and I do agree that they help give you a complete experience (apart from a few arbitrary ones), but I don't think they are necessary at all to enjoy a game.

I don't think that getting a game for the trophies alone is the right way to approach it. You should get the game because of the game - trophies should come second at all times.

Back on the PS2 i had a collections of about 400 games the difference was i would only complete a few and constantly jump from game to game. i always try to play the games i wanna play if there's nothing out i like or im bored i will try something different and and maybe pick up a easy platinum if im bored. I do like trophies think gaming would be better without them but that would definitely mean i would finish a lot less games and once i get bored of that game i would have no other instinctive to play it this is where i struggle to platinum some games is when i get bored of them i have to force myself to go back and complete it, the other downside is sometimes you get time consuming trophies on games you love and end up spending too much time grinding that out instead of trying new games i don't mind them i think they great when the trophy is a challenge and fun but i hate them when its a grind like collectibles or online so for me i think they are okay the option to delete games off your profile would be welcome and i don't see the problem with that at the end of the day its your profile and you are the only one who cares about it its definitely helped me complete more games but i feel it has also restricted me in playing more games as it can be time consuming one example is i would just finish the game once on the ps2 days now i replay it on hardest difficulty to get all trophies if non stackable where im playing the game a second time i could be playing a new game only few games have i enjoyed playing the campaign more than twice

I'd be playing the same games, because I only play games I want to play regardless, but I wouldn't be putting as many hours into some of them.

Before I was a trophy hunter, I would usually just beat a game and move on, except on those that were exceptional to me. Like, I never would have gotten every ending and maxed out all of the Lily Ranks in Hyperdimension Neptunia V if there weren't trophies, but I still would have played it. And even without trophies I still would have beaten Tales of Symphonia HD 4 times to get all of the titles and do everything.

I'd play the same sort of games and amount. I don't play games just for trophies (for example I would'nt play hannah montana) but I do love getting them. The only real difference for me would be I would'nt look at guides before playing a game to check for missable/difficulty ect trophies.

I would mostly still play the same games, though i do admit there has been a few games i've played for trophies, like New Paint Park Plus, Trine 2 & Sound Shapes.

+ If trophies never existed, i probably wouldn't even have a backlog because i wouldn't spend nearly as much time playing certain games.

Let's just say I would probably have a lot more time... haha

But seriously, I still only play the games I love and/or want to play; whether or not trophies exist (or what they are) for that game is just a fun bonus.

Case in point: I'm playing Remember Me at the moment. Fun game, outrageously cool atmosphere... and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. I do enjoy going for (and achieving) the various trophies in the game (I feel it really gives you a reason to try fun or difficult things that you might not otherwise).

As opposed to old games (where making it through a harder difficulty or beating high scores was for bragging rights with friends or for personal sense of achievement), I feel that modern games can add a lot (of gameplay, replayability and challenge) through their trophy system.

In summary then, I would definitely still play the same games I have been if trophies didn't exist... but I'm sure as heck glad that they do :P

Trophies motivate us to do things we wouldn't normally care about.

Like playing games on a harder difficulty.

Before trophies, I prefer to play games on "easy". There were only a few games that I really loved so much, I tried harder like MGS4, RE4, God of War 1/2,...

Now I often start games on a higher difficulty on the first playthrough with games like Remember me.

I'm trying to plat Metro Last Light

It's a game I love very much and have played several time through.

However I wouldn't care one second about all the diaries or played all the instrument or killing five shrimps in a row.

I would even never discover that there's an alternate ending if you have enough moral points.

Trophies gives a player like us more value for your money.

They can make amazing games more fun, but even mediocre games become fun when you start trophy hunting.

Without trophies I would probable have played a lot more games because I hardly buy a game when I'm still playing/trophyhunting other games. 

Well, I have to say that trophies in some way help me track unfinished games.

Now, Talking about the "complete experience" that many people say, i think that you don't need trophies for that, if the game is fun enough you'll dig every corner.

I just check youtube videos, if i like the gameplay i buy it.

Trophies are fun? Hmm, well, most of times trophies are related to: complete chapter, kill # with this type of weapon, kill a boss having zero damage, find all collectibles. It weird to find an interesting trophy (that's fun): make scream the titan in God Of war, Score a goal in Tomb raider Legend, 

Start a game thinking that the trophies could make it fun is dangerous. 

All I'm going to say is:

Trophies have at times helped the players get the game's complete experience. By letting you know what else can happen after finishing/beating the last boss/Story. Back then(when not many had Internet) we had to search by accident for a post-game ending side quest/mission, if the developers choose to give players more to do after the main story ended. For instance today if i finish a game and i pop all the main story trophies, and see that i haven't unlocked a "Beat ???" trophy then that tells me there's still more to the game, and possibly have to face the obvious secret boss; which is going to be stronger/harder then the final boss.

I consider the Platinum a "you've done it all" trophy especially for the games that don't have Multiplayer. Now I'm not saying all game's trophy sets are like this, and yes i know that some trophy sets don't make you get the full games experience(but a majority of the games out there do).

This is just my My opinion of course powered by my experiences. 

This exactly, without trophies I would never go out of my way doing all these tedious objectives to 100% a game.  Even though I sometimes dislike grinding for 1 single trophy for hours upon hours.

At the end when I finally 100% that game, I feel I have gotten the games complete experience, my moneys worth, and usually like the game that much more.