Gearbox to leave Embracer Group

kidson2004

https://x.com/ethangach/status/1763254166342742467?s=46

https://kotaku.com/borderlands-4-gearbox-embracer-acquisition-1851297286

links to Twitter and Kotaku. Seems like they’re close to being sold off. People are already thinking that M$’s gonna buy them. It’s like with whoever’s going on sale, M$ms the default answer 😂 thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's a option i can see for the Embracer Group the last big game they published was Remnants 2 which is a Thq Nordic IP and of Gearbox.

Gearbox buyout cost around 1.3 billion if they can recoup the cost is a option.

According to rumours Saber Interactive is also up for sale better to update the topic.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2024/02/embracer-group-to-sell-kotor-remake-studio-in-deal-worth-usd500-million

Edited by ASMODAIOS344
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

What does Gearbox have to offer?

1 hour ago, jgm4789 said:

Honestly gearbox being bought by anybody other then take two would be a total waste as theyve basically been doing nothing but borderlands for a decade and aside from duke nukem and brothers in arms what other viable ips do they even have thats even remotely has at a minimum cult classic status.

Exactly. Every single franchise they own, has been well and truly mishandled and run into the ground. Done right, a new Duke Nukem or Brother's in Arms game would be a breath of fresh air but given GB's history of greed, incompetence and making incredibly stupid decisions, there isn't a cat in hell's chance of either of those franchises making a decent comeback under the current regime :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 12:16 PM, funboy1246 said:

as @DaivRules said, with everything going on with them at the moments i really don't see MS doing this. but hey what do i know? The state the industry seems to be in as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if freaking Pepsi bought gearbox and got into the game industry lol.

Not the first time, I do remember a 7up game lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

Cool Spot was a fun but very hard game, which I still have a copy of for the Game Gear :).

well i mean on the original playstaion there was the Pepsi man game, and on NES there was the cool Spot and The noid  game which was a domino's pizza character back in the day, and hell even burger king have their own game called sneak king

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Gearbox also does some publishing, I know they published Risk of Rain 2 and Bulletstorm. Not sure what this means for games like that, if anything.

They own the Risk of Rain IP, lock, stock and barrel now so they can do anything they want with it since the OG creators are no longer involved: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_of_Rain#Release

As for Bulletstorm, I can't be sure but I don't think they have a whole lot to do with that franchise anymore 🤔.

• Like 1

I can only hope this means something positive for Borderlands, but I'm not holding my breath. The fact that I'd be more comfortable with a PS5 port of The Handsome Collection to Plat BL2 and TPS for a third time rather than seeing a Borderlands 4 right now, says a lot.

Or hopefully Gearbox can get some new IPs and actually do something more than just Borderlands. 

I guess we'll see.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

It sucks because they cut people because of this and part of the group of people they cut included my friend, he wasn't even there long but he was a damn hard worker, fuck you gearbox

Edited by SaySykesRN

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure Bulletstorm is 100% with People Can Fly. The Full Clip remaster has performed well, and PCF has considered revisiting the IP sometime. If or when there's a BS2, it may well be self-published like their Green Hell and Bulletstorm VR titles.

It's so good to see PCF independent.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:16 PM, funboy1246 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if freaking Pepsi bought gearbox and got into the game industry lol.

Coca-Cola has been there. They owned Columbia Pictures, which included the Gottlieb/Mylstar arcade games franchises like Q*bert (currently Sony's).

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I'm sure Bulletstorm is 100% with People Can Fly. The Full Clip remaster has performed well, and PCF has considered revisiting the IP sometime. If or when there's a BS2, it may well be self-published like their Green Hell and Bulletstorm VR titles.

It's so good to see PCF independent.

Coca-Cola has been there. They owned Columbia Pictures, which included the Gottlieb/Mylstar arcade games franchises like Q*bert (currently Sony's).

see? SEE? its already started! The end is NEIGH! run for the hills!