Phillips Sues Nintendo, Seeks To Halt Wii U Sales In US

Parker

Nintendo is getting sued again, this time by Phillips and apparently they're trying to prevent all sales of the Wii U in the United States. According to Phillips, Nintendo is infringing on two patents and they were made aware of these patents in 2011.

Philips has filed suit against Nintendo claiming patent infringement. Specifically, the complaint focuses on motion-controlled consoles and peripherals, including the Wii U and its accessories, and technology that “models a user’s body in a virtual environment by animating a virtual body to follow the physical movements of the user.”

The suit was filed on May 14 in Delaware, and claims infringement of Philips’ “Virtual Body Control Device” and “User Interface System Based on Pointing Device” patents. Philips also claims Nintendo was aware of its patents via correspondence dated December 2011.

Philips seeks damages for the infringement and enhancement valued at three times that, as well as interest. The company also seeks an injunction against further importation and sales of the Wii U and infringing products.

We’ve reached out to Nintendo for comment and will update should we hear back.

Update: Nintendo has declined to comment.

Source: Game Informer

If I'm not mistaken this happened with the 3DS as well and I believe Nintendo lost that case and had to shell out a lot of money. It will be interesting to see what becomes of this. 

Parker

So Nintendo will lose out on like 5 or 6 sales LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Seriously though this is stupid, They want to ban them over the fact they use motion gaming? Way to jump on the band wagon 8 years after is was popular? Also shouldn't they be suing Sony as well for the Move?

Edited by Dr_Mayus

Strange that they were able to file patents on technology that existed prior to 2011. Did Nintendo of America really screw up that hard that they forgot to patent their technology?
Also, why isn't Sony being sued over the move, and Microsoft being sued for the Kinect? Both companies use technology like outlined in the quote. Seems like they're picking on Nintendo because they know that MS and Sony have the money to afford a long legal battle, and Nintendo may not.

Strange that they were able to file patents on technology that existed prior to 2011. Did Nintendo of America really screw up that hard that they forgot to patent their technology?

Also, why isn't Sony being sued over the move, and Microsoft being sued for the Kinect? Both companies use technology like outlined in the quote. Seems like they're picking on Nintendo because they know that MS and Sony have the money to afford a long legal battle, and Nintendo may not.

Because there are two things that the Wii U has done that Sony and Microsoft either haven't, or have already paid for.

1. A virtual body modelling apparatus and method models a users body in a virtual environment and animated to follow physical movements of the user.

2. The user interaction system comprises a portable pointing device connected to a camera and sending pictures to a digital signal processor, capable of recognizing an object and a command given by the user by moving the pointing device in a specific way, and controlling an electrical apparatus on the basis of this recognition.

Patents are supposed to be specific, but both these start out pretty vague and probably shouldn't have been granted.

For what it's worth, my money is on Philips (yes, one L, I'll even give you time to go double check me) the makers of the worlds first VCR and co-inventors of the CD (with Sony.)

I bet this is just a ploy to get Nintendo to continue production of Mario Wacky Worlds ^_^

The shitty thing is that actually looks like it could have been a pretty damn good game. I would love to play a complete version of it. 

Parker

Because there are two things that the Wii U has done that Sony and Microsoft either haven't, or have already paid for.

1. A virtual body modelling apparatus and method models a users body in a virtual environment and animated to follow physical movements of the user.

2. The user interaction system comprises a portable pointing device connected to a camera and sending pictures to a digital signal processor, capable of recognizing an object and a command given by the user by moving the pointing device in a specific way, and controlling an electrical apparatus on the basis of this recognition.

Patents are supposed to be specific, but both these start out pretty vague and probably shouldn't have been granted.

For what it's worth, my money is on Philips (yes, one L, I'll even give you time to go double check me) the makers of the worlds first VCR and co-inventors of the CD (with Sony.)

Maybe they've already paid Philips, but there's no denying that have definitely done those two things.

1 is just a description of the Kinect and 2 just describes the move. If anything, 2 describes the move more than the Wii, because the Wii remote doesn't use a camera to recognize movement, it just uses infrared signals. The move however uses a camera to recognize movement from the controller.

I'm with Parker, Wacky Worlds seemed like it would have been the only good CDi Nintendo game.

I agree the level designs do look neat so it would have been interesting to check out. With people making so many Mario hacks nowadays you would think someone would attempt to finish it.