What is the scariest game you've ever played?

13 hours ago, reaperveteran86 said:

Forbiden Siren 1 and 2. The atmosphere, the sounddesign, the monsters, the faces of the characters. Both games are an unsettling nightmare. I really would love to see another entry in the series (or a PS2 classic version of part 2).

The only time I felt true fear. Awesome game and I agree, would love to see part 2 be released as a classic, I actually never got to play it. However, the first game is one of my favorites of all time. 

• Like 2

Like to name these:

P.T. - of fucking course this has to be mentioned. Watched a replay just yesterday. Imagine what Silent Hills could have been... 

Alien Isolation - mentioned by many. Fantastic experience from start to finish and by far the best and most scariest game in the whole franchise. Masterpiece.

Silent Hill - only played the first back then, but it was super scary

Resident Evil 1 - played the original back in the days and loved the tension

Resident Evil 2 - also played the original back in the days, was even better than the first one. The remake was also great and did the original tribute.

Resident Evil Code Veronica X - to me one of the best games in the franchise with great story and great moments

Resident Evil 7 - got mentioned by many already. And rightly so. In VR it was a fantastic experience

Outlast - crepy, scary and frightening all over the place. Gorgeous experience.

Alan Wake - had a few scary moments, atmosphere was very good, still didn’t like the game as much as I thought I would

The Medium - every time when „The Maw“ appeared… brilliantly voiced by Troy Baker

Blair Witch - had it’s creepy moments

Observation - the longer the game took the more unsafe it made me feel

Saw - surprisingly not that bad and quite enjoyable

Edited by Solid-Fisch
  • Like 4

Alien Isolation. No question. 

The only game I can think of that can routinely produce unscripted jump scares based on how you play it. The moment you realize the alien has seen or heard you and you can hear his feet hitting the ground as it runs towards you and then you turn the camera and there it is sprinting full speed at you down a dark hallway and grabs you from behind. Or it drops down from the ceiling right in front of you and you have to slowly back away. A game where it takes all your willpower to exit that locker you've been hiding in and too scared to leave for the past 5 minutes. 

If it's not scariest then it's certainly the most tense game I've ever played. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spageos said:

I actually never got to play it. However, the first game is one of my favorites of all time. 

The 2. is more of the same with more quality of life improvements (you can see, where you are at the map, the characters control a bit better), a few unique uses for the second sight feature (one of your characters is almost blind, so he use the eyes of his guide dog to "see") and story twists and creature design (especially on the later days) that are as fucked up as part one.

A scene , that sums up, Forbidden Siren 2 perfectly (obviously spoiler warning)

Spoiler

Edited by reaperveteran86
  • Like 2

My opinion on this might be invalid as I'm easily scared and stay far away from anything that is horror or just remotely scary, but the scariest game I've ever played was The Park

You're at an abandoned theme park, at night, and there is this mascot thing... 

This game gave me nightmares. I had to keep the lights on for several weeks, otherwise I'd wake up scared of the dark and thinking this mascot thing is in my room. 

Edited by Scaretale
  • Like 3

Visage - a single recent game I couldn't play in the dark with headphones on constantly. So I took it in small bites and sometimes played on TV speakers. A fantastic game although might be hard to stomach for some people for story reasons. 

I'm looking at Madison waiting on the shelf and I have a feeling I will get similar experience to Visage. 

Dead Space used to scare me. First Outlast also, second wasn't so terrifying. Also, the first story in Untold Stories got me really, and I mean really tense. 

• Like 1

Its been a while since I last played it but I remember Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2) as one of the most scariest games I've played.

Outlast and P.T. are also some of the games I remember the most.

• Like 2

I would say Outlast honestly. At least in a lot of other horror games you can fight back in someway, which makes it feel less scarier. All you can do in this game is hide and be careful and it's so easy to screw up when you're scared and anxious. It's a game I actually struggled to finish because I found it that terrifying to play.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scaretale said:

My opinion on this might be invalid as I'm easily scared and stay far away from anything that is horror or just remotely scary, but the scariest game I've ever played was The Park

You're at an abandoned theme park, at night, and there is this mascot thing... 

This game gave me nightmares. I had to keep the lights on for several weeks, otherwise I'd wake up scared of the dark and thinking this mascot thing is in my room. 

I’ve seen bits and pieces, it looks cool. What piqued my interest initially, is that apparently the game’s universe is connected in some way to that old horror MMORPG The Secret World.

• Like 1

1st Silent Hill from 1999 for PSone

7179_front.jpg

One of the scariest, if not the scariest video game ever made. Made by a team of only 25 people in the span of 18 months & inspired by works such as Eraserhead (1977), Jacob's Ladder (1990) & Twin Peaks (1990-1991), the game follows Harry Mason on the quest to find his missing daughter Cheryl in the town of Silent Hill. During his quest, he'll encounter strange cast of characters, monsters manifested from a little girl's fears & town's dark secret. By today's standards, graphics are really ugly, but that was the choice from the very beginning. There's something unsettling when looking at low-poly textures & you don't know what it is. Music or noise to be more precise is very creepy & sometimes unwordly. Legendary Akira Yamaoka chose industrial/experimental type of score. Sounds of metal clinging, banging, scraping, falling objects, dripping water, all kinds of low pitch & ear splitting noises are present through out the game. From opening intro, to the 1st battle & "death" & all town's locations, this game grabs you & it doesn't let go. Instant classic the helped launch a franchise.

EDIT: Fixed typos & info.

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 3

Scariest was when I was a kid, because back then I was scared of a lot of nonsensical things. Sharks, octopusses, killer elevators, zombies... the kind of stuff that seemed all too real after the lights went out at night.

It was a C64 game called Forbidden Forest. I had no idea what it was about, walking from left to right in that game when all of a sudden this big spider appeared and devoured my player. My imagination went off the chart. In my mind it was just about the scariest, most horrible thing. 

Edited by dJordman

I don't do scary games so pretty much anything that has dark scenes I find horrifying, but the scariest I think was the dumb Saw PS3 game. A box head guy came up behind me and scared the ever loving Jesus out of me making me scream and if I get really scared I usually start crying, so I may have also cried for a hot minute. Yes, I am that big of a baby (only for games though, movies don't scare me much). I was like, 16 at the time lol. 

3 hours ago, RockyJokerPL said:

Visage - a single recent game I couldn't play in the dark with headphones on constantly. So I took it in small bites and sometimes played on TV speakers. A fantastic game although might be hard to stomach for some people for story reasons. 

I'm surprised I haven't seen more people mention visage. I definitely agree with you on that one.

11 hours ago, SmileSlice said:

I’ve seen bits and pieces, it looks cool. What piqued my interest initially, is that apparently the game’s universe is connected in some way to that old horror MMORPG The Secret World.

If the game wasn't horror, I probably would've like it a lot more. I like games that tell part of their story, lore and background information through collectibles. If you're interested in it, you should give it a try. It's a short game, about an hour for 100%. 

Never heard of the other game you mentioned, though, so I can't comment on that. The Park felt pretty much like its own story, in its own little universe to me. 

• Like 1