What is the scariest game you've ever played?

I don't like scary/horror games at all, but I have played some, but in the end most weren't as frightening as I thought they'd be.  When I played the original RE2 in 1998, that was scary, but mainly because I played after my parents went to bed, in the corner of my room in the dark.  I had a long mirror on the far wall on my left, and an open closet on my right, so the lighting changes would flash in the mirror, making me look that way, only to instantly convince myself there was something in the closet back to my right.  When I played the game in the daytime I was fine.  After that, FEAR 2 made me jumpy as hell.  It wasn't quite as terrifying as I expected it to be, but then again I never played the original FEAR, which everyone said was far worse.  As for more recent stuff, I've played a bunch of supposedly scary/horror games recently, including most of Supermassive's line-up, but none were actually scary at all.  Sure, a few forced jump scares that caught me off guard the first time, but not actually scary.  Even the 'creatures' in those games weren't scary.  Maybe they weren't actually supposed to be.  Signalis did a decent job for what it was, but the retro style took a lot of that away.  I've been putting off playing the Dead Space games for many years cause I was told they were terrifying.  Maybe I'll have to give those a try now.

• Like 2

It was an indie horror game that showed up on Steam called Stairs. I used to have a YouTube channel for a few years that I made a lot of content for and I was recording a part where you walk into a room and you hear a voice whisper "I'm standing right behind you". Gave me the willies at the time but when I went back to edit the footage later, the whisper was not fucking there.

After my balls had crawled back out from inside me, I figured out that I'd been looking at the wrong bit of footage all along but jesus christ 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve just remembered one from my childhood but this one is going to be a bit out of left field. I remember getting Dead Head Fred (PSP) and whilst it’s not inherently scary as a kid it definitely had moments that got me 😂

• Like 2

Resident Evil 7 in VR is is also the best Gaming Experience I had in my whole life together with Focus on you and Summer Lesson. The one game your worst nightmare gets true and the other the prettiest women gets true :D

Edited by Mr_Bandicoot93
  • Like 1

I'm not big into horror games but I got a few, all of which have been already mentioned:

Alien Isolation - this was the movie we needed to complete the original Alien trilogy. The devs freaking nailed the atmosphere and setting. It's a true pity it never got a real sequel.

Dead Space - it took me literal years to build up the courage to play this game. It's so atmospheric and the sounds of the necromorphs in the vents chills me to this day.

Resident Evil 7 - my first and only RE game. My first few hours in the Baker house had me quaking. Then Jack's persistent stalking pissed me off. 😆

• Like 1

I remember renting from blockbuster resident evil 2, silent hill, etc

But the one that gets me is a simple windows game

Slenderman

Never got all the notes, and the urge to look behind you.... Omg

Alien: Isolation. Sometimes was afraid to even move out of a room. I play a lot of horror games cause it's my favorite genre, but Alien gets my anxiety going like nothing else. I know it's out there, but where?

Edited by Monochrome

13 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

P.T.

That night I laid down in my bed with the lights on blasting hymns to cleanse my soul after that

Same. I don't get scared easily, but I almost shit my pants playing P.T..

• Like 1

P.T. and it's not even close.

I also found Condemned very scary back then, Outlast can be creepy in parts (although it loses its horror quickly imho because the encounters are so predictable), and then Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines (the hotel) comes to mind.

Oh, and I also found Ravenholm in Half Life 2 pretty intense at the time :)

1 hour ago, GUDGER666 said:

I tried Alien Isolation but I just couldn't play it, my anxiety could not handle it. 

IKR. Same here. I have always wanted to play it, but it's too scary.

The irony of it is I can watch all of the Alien movies and not even flinch.

But it's much different when you're actually experiencing it in the game.

33 minutes ago, ozymandias1994 said:

Still scares the shit out of me. 😨

thesuffering.jpg

An absolute classic that needs a remake or something.

Did you know this game was loosely based of real events?

That makes it even more un-nerving. Or was that part 2?

Either way - it's all FUBAR. Lol