Time Trials you JUST Managed to Beat?

FluffyAssassin64

This is a bit of a fun one!

Are there any time trials, timed challenges, races, etc. in games that you can think of, where you only just beat that target time? There's a few I can think of off hand:

1. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. There were a few (quite annoying and finicky) cart challenges in a later level in the game, requiring you to beat a certain time. I had to beat 30.00s, and I beat it in 29.99s haha. I wanted to upload a picture but I couldn't find it :'(
  2. Tomb Raider: Anniversary. The "Greece - St. Francis Folly" Time trial. Anyone who's tried this one knows it can be a bit frustrating (quite a strict time limit consider the potential for a mistimed jump or switch pull). Anyway, the time limit was 34:00 (34 minutes) and I beat it in 33:53; beat it by 7 seconds!!! The last minute of putting in those keys to open the door was extremely stressful :P

I'll be going for Mirror's Edge soon too (which should be a challenge...), and was considering attempting the Max Payne 3 "New York Minute" (I know, 'good luck', haha). Anyway, enough about me; what about you? Any time trial runs you can remember that were so close to failure?

Note: Don't worry if you don't have (or remember) exact times; even just time trials you remember were close and/or frustrating would still be interesting.

Edited by FluffyAssassin64

There were many but 2 stick out recently.

First comes from Velocity Ultra on the Vita. Level 50 requires a perfect run and I messed up a tiny amount and ended up missing the time by a second. I finally did it and just broke the time needed for the perfect.

The Second is from 3D Dot Game Heroes and is the ONLY bad part of that game. The dash circuit is so precise that anything less than a near perfect run makes you fail. It is so hard that they actually nerfed the time for the North American release which means that my time isn't even fast enough for the European or Japanese versions. I beat the NA version by 2 seconds but I would need to be 3 seconds faster for the other two versions :(. I have mad respect for anyone with a Japanese or European plat :)

• Like 1

The first prototype Pt challenges (well some of them) were somewhat a nightmare. Another would be the chocobo races in FFX HD. They caused a few hours of frustration with each one. The hardest for me so far was finishing the speed and time trial runs in Mirror's Edge. Threw my controller a few times missing the time limit by a few seconds on some of them (Those that finish well ahead of the time limit I consider as gods of the game). @FluffyAssassin64 Good luck with it.

Edit: @FluffyAssassin64 If you happen to see this again and get stuck on the speed or time trials give ovendonkey186 a look up on youtube. His vids and commentary were a great help with planning out each run.

Edited by Cabhills
  • Like 1

There were many but 2 stick out recently.

First comes from Velocity Ultra on the Vita. Level 50 requires a perfect run and I messed up a tiny amount and ended up missing the time by a second. I finally did it and just broke the time needed for the perfect.

The Second is from 3D Dot Game Heroes and is the ONLY bad part of that game. The dash circuit is so precise that anything less than a near perfect run makes you fail. It is so hard that they actually nerfed the time for the North American release which means that my time isn't even fast enough for the European or Japanese versions. I beat the NA version by 2 seconds but I would need to be 3 seconds faster for the other two versions :(. I have mad respect for anyone with a Japanese or European plat :)

i got the EU version and i still haven't completed the dash circuit ;( that's all i need left for the plat

Jak X: Combat Racing. I remember a sewer track that was extremely difficult. I just managed to beat the time by 0.2 seconds and get the gold medal, that took forever.

Final Fantasy X: The Chocobo race (I guess this counts). I came close so many times, only to have 2 or 3 birds spawn right at the end and all hit me in a bird combo. Finally got it when I got lucky and no birds spawned near me at the end.

Modnation Racers: Hotlap. This was more due to the fact that none of the pro players raced the track yet that day. But I finally got in the top 10% on the track, and eventually got the platinum.

• Like 1

I remember i had exactly 0.001 or it was 0.01 milliseconds left on the timer. Don't remember which game but i did have a heart attack (not really)  :lol: It was a time trial in which you had to beat the time. EDIT: Now i remember which game! It was Rayman Origins and some other game.

Edited by King Zidane

Most races and time trials including Beat Zico on WipEout HD I only managed to beat by a couple of hundredths of a second.

Similarly, on Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, I was aiming to get at least 300,000 on 'Stricken' by Disturbed on Expert Guitar, in the end I got 299,999 and I couldn't believe what had just happened...

and was considering attempting the Max Payne 3 "New York Minute" (I know, 'good luck', haha).

Do it! Good Luck :P

• Like 2

Ico: Cleared this by mere seconds I think. Those ending credits and the beach really took up a lot of time.

WipEout HD: Zico... Beat Zico. That's all I have to say.

Joe Danger 2: The Movie: Practically any time star I obtain via mere miliseconds.

Jak II and 3: Some of the races were annoying.

These are all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are many many more ;)

Sound Shapes: Beat some levels with less than a second left and beat a couple right at the 0.0 seconds mark

Rayman Origins: Beat the "Mecha No Mistakes" Time Trial (hardest one on there imo) in the exact time that was needed to get the speed trophy

Shadow of the Colossus: After many failed attempts on the Gaius Hard time attack (hardest time trial I've ever done on any game) I finally beat him and did the final attack on him right when the clock hit zero. It was the last thing I had to do for the platinum too. Pretty epic

Edited by TMNP doods

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops mission: Time Trial. I barely finished veteran within a second. So glad I got three stars on that mission. 

Super Mario Galaxy: All of the levels that involve time. I don't remember exactly what but whenever there was a Speedy Comet on a galaxy, I would always complete it in the nick of time. Just typing this out makes me want to play it again lol.  

yes i have beaten the first one, but the desert one is just a nightmare, i once got 2 seconds late and i just slammed the controller

Well if it makes you feel better (or worse) you would have gotten the NA platinum with that time ^_^. After many angry attempts I was at the point of sitting on my stool a couple of feet from my tv. I got into such a zone that I had to take off my hoodie because the way the hood rub against my neck was distracting me and I set my timer on my phone to 2  seconds below the time I needed that way if that timer went off I knew if I was going to make it or not (so I could restart).

When it finally unlocked I actually dropped my controller and just stared at the screen not believing I had done it and what woke me up was my phone was beeping because the timer had run out :D

Well if it makes you feel better (or worse) you would have gotten the NA platinum with that time ^_^. After many angry attempts I was at the point of sitting on my stool a couple of feet from my tv. I got into such a zone that I had to take off my hoodie because the way the hood rub against my neck was distracting me and I set my timer on my phone to 2  seconds below the time I needed that way if that timer went off I knew if I was going to make it or not (so I could restart).

When it finally unlocked I actually dropped my controller and just stared at the screen not believing I had done it and what woke me up was my phone was beeping because the timer had run out :D

Well atleast the character creation was fun, i wanted to make every pokemon but i gave up after after bulbasaur :D

Well atleast the character creation was fun, i wanted to make every pokemon but i gave up after after bulbasaur :D

The whole game is a blast...except dash circuit :shakefist: . Out of curiosity did you make the solid white block character to help with dash circuit and turn off the walk animations to make it easier?