[RUMOR] PS3 Servers Going Offline in 2024

Rebourne07

Any merit to this rumor? Any additional sources? Thoughts on if it happens how far it would reach? Like just online gaming would get cut off or do you think trophy syncing from PS3s will ever be removed?

https://tech4gamers.com/ps3-online-servers-2024/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0LRCdHIyp8kxGS6q_QHA87lJTwme_WaBVtAPBsdf1OWu3QgFh4fG_rJas_aem_AYZo3PgEZBwcZzX5bfRjoIxkj3HQLslBrJ86T7-h6GvKtzIU4_6HPEW4IBQQAkbF0_KxJX76smGzt7OFFT_rDyBp

• Confused 1

Just now, MidnightDragon said:

I seriously doubt it's true. The report came from an AI clickbait site.

This captures it well. To quote the comment in the linked article:

"Please do not share any articles published by "PSBlog".
"PSBlog" [...] is not a respectable source in the slightest."

• Like 1

Just now, DaivRules said:

No, as said the last time this thread was brought up. The Source is an AI Generated Content Farm.

There is no credibility to this. None. Whatsoever. Just peoples fears.

This^

Every single report about this so far, has referenced the exact same fake clickbait article that has no validity whatsoever so should be ignored.

Considering that ps3 streaming through PlayStation plus premium runs on custom ps3 server blades they cant shutdown ps3 servers without it negatively affecting that service so as long as ps3 game streaming is available through premium ps3 services like trophy syncing should remain available. That doesn't mean the store will remain open but the rest of ps3s services should be fine for the time being.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dinniestar said:

Xbox 360 servers are going down in July so Sony may try follow suite soon 

The difference is is that the Xbox 360 is mostly redundant these days because the Xbone and Series XS have that backwards compatibility, but the PS3 still has a place because of the lack of BC with the PS4/5 and a lot of games haven't been rereleased 

I think Sony would close the Vita servers first before they went to the PS3

• Like 2

How many more people are gonna fall for this crap? This has already been proven to be AI-generated clickbait slop meant to drive traffic to a content farm website. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't believe random stuff you read on the internet at face value, folks.

• Like 1

Hearing this is just fake news is not surprising. I'm still surprised that Sony hasn't gotten the emulation team they hired to get a Legacy Console or App to run the older-generation games. RPCS3 exists on the PC, and Sony keeps saying that is too complicated.

Edited by dakk55

23 minutes ago, Dinniestar said:

Xbox 360 servers are going down in July so Sony may try follow suite soon 

You mean the 360 Marketplace?

Considering many (popular) 360 games are back compat on X1/Series X, why would MS close online services for the 360? Makes no sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

Hearing this is just fake news is not surprising. I'm still surprised that Sony hasn't gotten the emulation team they hired to get a Legacy Console or App to run the older-generation games. RPCS3 exists on the PC, and Sony keeps saying that is too complicated.

If emulating PS3 on other server hardware were even close to the "good enough" level, Sony would happily decommission the thousands of PS3 hardware server farms powering all the PS Plus PS3 titles. People (much to their insistent denial) are way too generous on RPCS3 being an easy replacement for PS3 hardware. And they'll use all sorts of justifications (but they're such a small team, Sony could have a bigger team, and more money to blow on it), but RPCS3 will always remain a cool project some enthusiasts work on, and it's never going to be a viable 1:1 replacement for PS3 hardware for all games.

"Shutting down the PS3 network" is oversimplified in these discussions, and it's unlikely to play out as simple as just a shutdown announcement that suddenly cuts off all PS3's from accessing PSN for all functions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If emulating PS3 on other server hardware were even close to the "good enough" level, Sony would happily decommission the thousands of PS3 hardware server farms powering all the PS Plus PS3 titles. People (much to their insistent denial) are way too generous on RPCS3 being an easy replacement for PS3 hardware. And they'll use all sorts of justifications (but they're such a small team, Sony could have a bigger team, and more money to blow on it), but RPCS3 will always remain a cool project some enthusiasts work on, and it's never going to be a viable 1:1 replacement for PS3 hardware for all games.

That's a fair point. RPCS3 does have its issues and I'm not going to twist anyone's arm to use it over the PS3 console. The point I was making was that it exists, so even if it never gets built into an Emulator App on the PS5, I sure would love to see an Legacy Console that gets released to play the PS3/Vita games. Although I'm aware it would be a long shot that Sony would want to do that instead of continuing with the PS Catalog.

• Like 1

From what I understand, PS3's PSN is linked to THE ENTIRE PSN system. So they can't just shut it down without a massive legwork to change the infrastructure, as well as a huge PR backlash. 

Edited by HaserPL
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

From what I understand, PS3's PSN is linked to THE ENTIRE PSN system. So they can't just shut it down without a massive legwork to change the infrastructure, as well as a huge PR backlash. 

That's true, and there is a lot of evidence:

- PS3 classic games can be recognized in PS5.

- Despite not being meant to read anything related to PS5, both PS3 and Vita are able to see games and "services" you bought for that console.

- Vita is even able to see new PS Plus memberships despite not having it anymore.

- If you changed your languages in your profile page, everytime you log in into PS3 they will change to default. This happened to me countless times.

Also, the PS3 streaming needs to keep working for the Premium, so they can't "shut down" the entire PSN. Trophies will keep working.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 1

Back in 2021, I posted this about when they were going to shutdown the PSN availability for PS3 and Vita:

There was a LOT of uproar about them doing so and as a result, they kept the stores open. Could you imagine if they just flat out killed off the PS3 for good?! The backlash PlayStation would face would be insurmountable and damaging to their brand as a whole as their rival XBOX made their older games still available and playable via backwards compatibility and PlayStation did not make anything to rival that (backwards compatibility). In short, they would be digging themselves into a galactic sized hole if they pulled this stunt. Good thing the website isn't credible.   

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 2