Story vs Gameplay

Goro

Which is more important to you in a video game, the story or the gameplay?

Would you rather a game with great gameplay but with a terrible story like Dead Island or would you rather a game with a great story and terrible gameplay like The Walking Dead?

Ideally I'd like to have a game with a great story and great gameplay but if I had to choose between the two I'd go for gameplay. I adored The Walking Dead but once you play through it once or twice there is really no reason to go back and revisit it whereas a game with great gameplay will be fun to play for years to come. 

Parker

• Like 2

This interesting debate is brought up sub textually in the excellent indie game "Hotline Miami", which has incredible gameplay and a bonkers story that is really there to hold up the real meaning that it is trying to get across, now if you look at another video game which does the exact opposite, say "Spec Ops: The Line", Spec Ops has a really well written story, but the game is very run of the mill and boring. I suppose I enjoy both, because I love stuff like Spec Ops and The Walking Dead, and I love Hotline Miami and Team Fortress 2.

I prefer good narrative, but I can go either way. I think if you lack in one area, you damn well better make up for it in the other area. For instance, I've played a game with terrible gameplay, The Walking Dead, but it held my attention because I wanted to know what happened next. And I've enjoyed Borderlands despite 90% of the story being told in the text of the mission briefings, because I've enjoyed setting people on fire as Lilith or headshotting bandits with my sniper rifle.

• Like 1

90% of the time I'd prefer good gameplay but there are few franchises where story is equally important.

For games like that I'd rather the narrative shine. For example I'd be devastated if Persona 5 had a horrible story though the story is arguably part of the gameplay for the last two games. So... I suppose everything comes full circle to gameplay?

Edited by Bucknerd

I am I realy the only one who'd go with story ? IMO if a story is good enough it'l make you forget/ accept how bad the gameplay is. Of course there are exceptions on every rule so.

not anymore...

I'd say story.... TWD's flaws were forgivable just to see how the story unfolds... somehow it is one of my main reason for making me go through and finish the game... *staring at Dokuro*

• Like 1

Some 10-15 years ago I would say story, but as I matured even the best stories on videogames, (especially RPG-wise, which is my favorite genre) seem somewhat lame, if not laughable, to me with honorable exceptions outside the realm of RPGs (interesting enough, I found the gameplay on TWD fitting and not at all bad, and the story is better than the show or even the comics IMHO). Nowadays is gameplay all the way for me, can't stand broken mechanics for the sake of "good story" any longer.

Edited by fabmorais_2011

Gameplay is always #1. Obviously you would want a game that has both, but you buy video games for the gameplay.

For example, I could watch a playthrough of The Walking Dead on YouTube, and get the exact same satisfaction as someone who played it. I can watch a playthrough of Dead Island on YouTube, but I won't get the same satisfaction because that game shines in the actual gameplay. I would need to actually play it myself, to enjoy it.

• Like 3

A combination of both, but if i had to choose one it'd be gameplay. Ages ago i didn't know english so i played all those ps2 games for the gameplay since i had no clue what was going on in the story.

• 6 months later...

Stories in games have always been bonuses to me never a necessity, even in an rpg where the story plays a larger part than most but if the combat stinks are you going to continue to play it? I think younger generations have grown up with more intricate stories and have come to expect it now in their games but coming from the nes, snes and genesis days story never really mattered. Like others have said the telltale "games" are good but I personally don't like calling them games ( I'll admit I abuse them for their trophies else I'd watch them on YouTube).

Besides if you are depending on your games for stories I would invest more time into books and movies, both are significantly cheaper and are usually where most of the good game stories come from.

Gameplay is always #1. Obviously you would want a game that has both, but you buy video games for the gameplay.

For example, I could watch a playthrough of The Walking Dead on YouTube, and get the exact same satisfaction as someone who played it. I can watch a playthrough of Dead Island on YouTube, but I won't get the same satisfaction because that game shines in the actual gameplay. I would need to actually play it myself, to enjoy it.

Could not agree with this more.