Sony: Nearly A Third of PS4 Owners Only Had a Wii or Xbox 360 Last Gen

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/sony-nearly-a-third-of-ps4-owners-only-had-a-wii-or-xb-1589874564

hpjzo1cdu7blaybf2kh2.jpgSEXPAND

Some 31% of people who have bought a PlayStation 4 had an Xbox 360 or Wii but not a PS3 in the last hardware generation, PlayStation's American VP of marketing John Koller told me in an interview here at L.A. this week. That's a decent amount of people making a switch to Team PlayStation and/or coming back to Sony after missing the PS3 era.P

Koller was citing results of a research study that he said also indicated that as much as 17% of people who have bought a PS4 didn't own a console in the previous generation.P

And who are the people buying the PS4 up until now? Primarily the hardest of the hardcore gaming populating, yes, though Sony has a different name for those gamers.P

"The person that we've picked up since launch primarily is someone we call the connoisseur, someone that loves, unequivocally, loves games," Koller said. "They are the people who, when you walk in [to their home], there's no books on their book shelves. They're all game packages. They're the people who stood in line at midnight [for the console's launch]. They really are a fantastic consumer for us. They're a great part of the PlayStation nation.

The PS4 has been pretty hot and is already reaching beyond that crowd, he noted. "One thing that's interesting, though, is that we're starting to see a lot more of what we thought were going to be adopters later down the cycle coming in really early." Koller described that crowd as "indulgers, people that are traditionally a little bit more price-sensitive or down the funnel that have kind of bucked the trend as it were.'"

I kinda like connoisseur.  Sounds better than just "hardcore" to me.

• Like 2

HOw do they even get these stats?

Yeah, what the heck? Pretty sure I never told anyone (apart from on this site) what consoles I had last gen... sounds sneaky to me :P

I was lucky enough to have the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii last gen, and it was fantastic. I'm glad to be supporting Sony with the PS4 so far this gen, and I'll continue to do so as long as they keep their fantastic PS+ service and amazing exclusives.

I still may yet get the Xbox One and Wii U a bit later in this generation, but that's for a different time...

Maybe i'm blind, but where is the source of this article? Since when is it allowed to post an article on a news website without mentioning the source you get your story from? 

I wouldn't trust these statistics either then.

Altough it's always nice to see Sony saying something nice about it's community (Altough i don't own a ps4 yet :x).

That number could come from the amount of new PSN accounts that have been created since the PS4 launched that have PS4 games tied to their accounts.  Of course, to make the assumption that those accounts only had a 360 or a Wii last gen is a bit of a leap, but it's not entirely inaccurate either.

I don't see the confusion here. Says right there, they did a research survey. You contact a representative sample of PS4 owners and ask them questions about their previous console ownership. The only question is whether or not their methodology was sound, but this is a well established way of finding out information like this.

• Like 2

I don't see the confusion here. Says right there, they did a research survey. You contact a representative sample of PS4 owners and ask them questions about their previous console ownership. The only question is whether or not their methodology was sound, but this is a well established way of finding out information like this.

Yeah, they probably did a survey of (for example) 100 people, and then multiplied the results by the amount of units currently sold and used those results. I don't see the confusion either.

I feel this figure is higher than the realistic number but whatever I guess their sample has jumped ship. Good signs for Sony regardless, I believe that the PS4 is the better console in this generation hands down.

Edited by Brenden

I feel this figure is higher than the realistic number but whatever I guess their sample has jumped ship. Good signs for Sony regardless, I believe that the PS4 is the better console in this generation hands down.

It's way too early to tell.  Xbox 360 was better last gen because games played a lot smoother on it despite Sony having a wider and (IMO) better catalog of games in terms of genres.  M$ takes the lazy way out and secures 3rd party DLC content first and I am very surprised it works.  But I guess not too surprised, I mean what made PS1 great was the fact it had all the greatest exclusive 3rd party content (mainly from JPN) and now M$ is basically doing the same thing with the big DLCs (mainly from Western developers).

Edited by QuantumMercury

I was with 360 last gen. Since I had my PS4 and set up my PSN iD I have completed a survey for Sony which asked what game systems I have owned and which I own now. They can probably tell from my systems that I got my PS4 first, then the Vita, then the PS3.

So I guess they interviewed at least 2 other people to reach the conclusion that almost a third of people made the switch. ;)

Edited by StrickenBiged