Most Recent Platinum

Muff

23 hours ago, victorrfuego said:

M45b683.png

1Meea6d9.png

#205 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (PS4)

Enjoyment/Rating: 8/10

Difficulty: 7/10

Time: 90 Hours

PSNP Rarity: 2.84%

PSN Rarity: 0.5%

For some reason I wanted to go back and go back to a game that I got fatigued from. The game is not at all a bad game, but the platinum was tough and it took a while for sure, however, the combat in this game is still ahead of its time and I was craving some DMC after a long while! When I first played this game, I wasn't that adept at action/hack and slash games yet, but coming back now I was able to adapt to it again and felt way more motivated ;) This is the only DMC game I was missing, and no I prob won't play DMC2 lol.

This DMC has the best combat in the series behind DMC5 imo, the amount of characters and combinations within their moveset felt good and intuitive to use. Without a doubt, one of the best combat systems during the time, maybe the best! Lots of bosses were fun to fight and the cycle of killing enemies with high style points never felt old!! Playing as Vergil and Dante in this game was amazing and never got boring. Literally Vergil was broken for S ranks and Dante is my fav video game character so ofc he is my favorite lol. Nero was great but he is more better in DMC5. Lady and Trish were surprisingly one of the better parts of the gameplay. Lady's weapons were put to use very well and made for some devastating explosive combos, making S ranks and SSS style points satisfying to get! Trish was harder to use, but both her fists and sword have different combos that make for interesting ways to beat down an enemy, she was extremely fun for sure! Trish is like a mini Dante kinda lol. The game comes with a lot of content which means lots of combos to learn. The music is great too in this game when it ramps up! Some good memorable tracks there! Before DMC5 came along, this was easily the most deep, fluid and responsive combat system and it holds up very very well today! The story is servicable, nothing too crazy, but it made the game more fun to follow. A lot of enemies had good enough patterns to play around with them, and they are a few bosses I really did enjoy overall. Also, as hard as Bloody Palace was trophy wise, it definitely made the combat more intuitive and fun for me!!

Now the game is great mechanically and character wise, but there are many problems with the game tbh. Some parts felt unfinished. The level design is not memorable and is basically back and forth for each half of the game, so not excited. The platforming sucked and shouldn't have been much of it. Enemies were fine for the most part, but a lot weren't memorable and they didn't make for good combos, especially on higher difficulties. A lot bosses weren't that great, but were fine for destroying them with crazy OP moves. I did say story was fine, but that's about it. Some levels were a drag to play because like I said, it wasn't good level design, lots of mind numbing backtracking. This def brought down the quality of the game overall, but action fans know its true value in the combat system.

The reason I give this game a 8/10 is because obviously, the combat system is masterful and it literally outweighs most of the negatives of the game. You have to understand that it is a action game, however other factors matter too. For this game though, the combat is so damn fun and it never felt boring after even 90 hours of playing this game overall. All the problems in this game is lessened once you fully learned/mastered a character, and that is the charm of this series.  It may not be one of the best games ever when it comes together, but it is one of the best action games ever made and it was like that for a long time, it blew people's minds back then and it did for me as well, a freaking ps3 game originally. That is enough to make it an great game! Had this game been better designed like DMC5 was, this would have been a action masterpeice for sure. I will say though, I recommend DMC4 for anyone interested in amazing combat or is a DMC lover.

And for those who want to experience the best combat ever made from the start, try out DMC5 :)

Applause mate!

Plating any DMC game is not easy and that's coming from a hardcore fan! So it's even more thrilling seeing someone platinum it, especially 4, since it's a great game that got strangled by capcoms execs of the time. Nero's design in that game is still my favorite of any character in any action game- ever! 

Bravo!

• Like 4