(Poll) PSNP members favorite genre

Xxleonardo97xX

1st set of genres  

182 members have voted

1. 1. You may choose more than one.

2. 2. 2nd set of genres

This being a video-game website I find it odd that this thread hasn't been done yet, if it is, sorry.

This poll will give us the idea of the favorite videogame genres of the PSNP community.

Just two suggestions

Change Telltale to Point and Click.

Add visual novels. There big in Japan.

Edited by Suicide_Tortuga

Choose:

JRPG, Side-scroller, Platform, Adventure, Hack n' Slash, Fighting

But also Like:

Visual Novel, Action-RPG, Beat 'em up, Rhythm, Puzzle, Art Game

Visual Novel genre added, go ahead and vote.

Telltale is not a genre, it's a company. The correct way to describe the type of game made by Telltale is graphic adventure.

Done.

ehehehe... thought Telltale is now a genre :P

also... no Rhythm and Visual Novel? :(

chose JRPG....

Point and click it is. Rythm and Visual Novel added

I was hoping RPG would be a general genre including those of both the western and Japanese variety since I play just about any and all RPGs, but since I've got a sweet spot for those Japanese-developed ones, my vote goes to JRPG.  The storytelling, characters, music and gameplay is just much more exciting for me.  Western RPGs are still a joy to play, but I feel more 'at home' with Japanese ones. :)

My three favourite genre of games are RPGs, Visual Novels and rhythm games, but the latter two aren't on the poll.

Visual Novels and rythm added.

Aw man, no choices for Shmups, Rail-shooters, or Metroidvania?

Recently been on a JRPG kick so that's what I'm really digging at the moment.

Main genres of choice usually revolve around Action/Character-Action, Hack & Slash, Stealth, Platformers, 2d-side scrollers, RPG's, Third Person Shooters, the occasional open-world game, and the occasional fighting game.

Those choices are now in the poll, go vote now pls.

Just two suggestions

Change Telltale to Point and Click.

Add visual novels. There big in Japan.

Thanks, had no idea about that.

• Like 1

Visual Novel genre added, go ahead and vote.

Done.

Point and click it is. Rythm and Visual Novel added

Visual Novels and rythm added.

Those choices are now in the poll, go vote now pls.

Thanks, had no idea about that.

YAY... but somehow.. ayyy.... couldn't choose more than one in second sets :(

I usually have a lot of problems listing my favorite genres in chronological order. RPGs would probably always be number one, they are my most beloved gaming memories ever since i was a child. I grew up playing lots of Pokemon, got a little into Final Fantasy as i got older and now games like The Elder Scrolls, Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are among my favorite of all time. Going down from there, it gets more difficult. I have lots of wonderful memories playing realtime strategy games, platformers, fighters and sandbox games but i can't put one above the others as i feel that would be disrespectful to the rest. I also thought about voting for puzzle games since Portal 1 & 2 are my favorite games of all time, but i couldn't vote for a genre just because of two games. So i just went with RPG, as that was the only genre i could clearly call my number 1. Voted for metroidvania on the second one because the site told me i had to vote on both questions so i went with that one as some of my more recent great gaming memories stem from the genre.

And I feel that this is an odd question to ask since I have played one of the games that relates to this category, but could someone describe the category of "metroidvania"?

Usually 2d adventure games with emphasis on giving the player free-roam exploration and for the most part the ability to sort of play the game however they want picking up the power ups given in whatever order they want a la your Metroid titles, Castlevania titles similar to Symphony of The Night, or games like Cave Story. Non-linear experience pretty much.

Edited by Incinerator