Skyrim as the best RPG of current gen?

Mr_Freaker

A lot of open world RPG's (even lineair) gets compared to Skyrim as in terms of the massive world, never ending gameplay ... (just watch/read a lot of reviews)

In other words: Skyrim has become the norm for open world RPG's, even if the games are very different.

I'm thinking about games like Dragon's Dogma, Dragon Age, Kingdom of Amalur, Shadow of Mordor,...

Do you agree or disagree with Skyrim being the norm?

Fallout 3 still holds the top spot in my life as the #1 game i have ever played and it was the very first RPG that i completed. I was able to understand Perks, Leveling Up, weapons, upgrades, armor, strengths and weaknesses... a lot of RPGs got really overwhelming with tons and tons of stuff...but this game helped me understand that there is more to life than COD and BF.... there are games for you to explore, go through every corner of the game and still have a lot left over. Fallout 3 Will always be the best game...I've ever played. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I just bought Witcher 3, didn't get to play much haven't earned a single trophy yet. You no longer have to pay for mods, Lord Gaben removed it out of respect for customers, but i never used that anyway i use Nexus Mod Manager to mod my Skyrim. 

I really liked Skyrim, but i don't agree with it being the best RPG of this generation, that being Dark Souls of course. I think the biggest reason for Skyrim being "the norm" for modern RPGs is because it had lots of success in the more mainstream side of gaming. I've got a friend who only plays AAA-shooters and even he got Skyrim because of how insane the hype was around the time. RPGs usually don't have this level of success with the casual audience, so many media outlets use Skyrim as a referencepoint when talking about RPGs because they fear that the average reader might not know what they're talking about otherwise.

• Like 2

Nah I disagree about Skyrim being the best RPG. There's a point in when a game gets too big for its own good and the story ends up falling short because of it. Skyrim is one of those games.  When the side quests are more fun than and interesting than the main quest, that's a problem. However is Skyrim one of the best "Open World" games with tons of activities to keep you busy? Yes. Oblivion and Morrowind are a tad bit better for role-playing purposes though.

That's just like Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas, both are amazingly epic. There're things about each game I like more than the other. However between the 2 which one is a better role-playing game? Its New Vegas.

People tend to forget what role-playing truly means. Its not just about leveling up and spending skill points on a skill tree, or a game that has a huge open world with tons of locations and quests. Its the idea that the in-game character is yourself and to pretend to be that person, the only knowledge of the area, quests, etc is what that character learns in the game. Now you as a person might know exactly where to find this city, quest, item, yada yada all because you looked it up or it was magically given to you. But a true role-playing game forces you to seek out quest with no hand holding, forces you to eat, drink, and sleep like a actual person. Also there needs to be things that come in conflict with each other, if you choose to go one path, then the game needs to lock you out of any possible rewards the other path has because realistically they shouldn't exist because your in-game character doesn't know they exist. 

Its extremely complicated for a developer to make a true role-playing game because they need a answer for every possible outcome/question. For example, lets say in Skyrim you meet a traveling man who was in Riften a while back and told you about a other man giving out a quest somewhere in Riften. *Conversation ends* ... Wait a moment, lets back up here. If I'm role-playing, I would ask 'How did you learn about this information?' 'Where is Riften?' 'Can you tell me what this man looks like?' 'Does he have a name?' etc. Because your character does not know this information. Why would he/she blindly go to Riften, and know exactly where the man is located at in the city with so little information, etc. Also.. those couriers that also randomly find you in the world and hand you a note about a quest? that's bullshit lol. It should be changed to them delivering mail to the door of your in-game home. Then you having to check back at your house every so often.

There is no perfect RPG, but I love any game that does its best to try and be one. I can't really say which game is the best RPG of all time cause nearly every game does its own thing and does some things better than others but also lacks in other spots.

But here's my list of games/series I think are up there.

-Fallout series

-Elder Scroll series

-Witcher series

-Dragon Age series

-Dragons Dogma

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 3

Nah I disagree about Skyrim being the best RPG. There's a point in when a game gets too big for its own good and the story ends up falling short because of it. Skyrim is one of those games.  When the side quests are more fun than and interesting than the main quest, that's a problem. However is Skyrim one of the best "Open World" games with tons of activities to keep you busy? Yes. Oblivion and Morrowind are a tad bit better for role-playing purposes though.

That's just like Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas, both are amazingly epic. There're things about each game I like more than the other. However between the 2 which one is a better role-playing game? Its New Vegas.

People tend to forget what role-playing truly means. Its not just about leveling up and spending skill points on a skill tree, or a game that has a huge open world with tons of locations and quests. Its the idea that the in-game character is yourself and to pretend to be that person, the only knowledge of the area, quests, etc is what that character learns in the game. Now you as a person might know exactly where to find this city, quest, item, yada yada all because you looked it up or it was magically given to you. But a true role-playing game forces you to seek out quest with no hand holding, forces you to eat, drink, and sleep like a actual person. Also there needs to be things that come in conflict with each other, if you choose to go one path, then the game needs to lock you out of any possible rewards the other path has because realistically they shouldn't exist because your in-game character doesn't know they exist. 

Its extremely complicated for a developer to make a true role-playing game because they need a answer for every possible outcome/question. For example, lets say in Skyrim you meet a traveling man who was in Riften a while back and told you about a other man giving out a quest somewhere in Riften. *Conversation ends* ... Wait a moment, lets back up here. If I'm role-playing, I would ask 'How did you learn about this information?' 'Where is Riften?' 'Can you tell me what this man looks like?' 'Does he have a name?' etc. Because your character does not know this information. Why would he/she blindly go to Riften, and know exactly where the man is located at in the city with so little information, etc. Also.. those couriers that also randomly find you in the world and hand you a note about a quest? that's bullshit lol. It should be changed to them delivering mail to the door of your in-game home. Then you having to check back at your house every so often.

There is no perfect RPG, but I love any game that does its best to try and be one. I can't really say which game is the best RPG of all time cause nearly every game does its own thing and does some things better than others but also lacks in other spots.

But here's my list of games/series I think are up there.

-Fallout series

-Elder Scroll series

-Witcher series

-Dragon Age series

-Dragons Dogma

maybe you forget Souls Series, i dont count Bloodborne;

PS3 is not current gen... So i am a little confused  :hmm: 

I played Skyrim on 360, I havent re-played it on PS3. So that tells you what i think about the game. Not even top 10 imo from LAST GEN.

Best RPG few have played and know about, below in image.Resonance_of_Fate_Box_Art.jpg

im surprised Sega is still a company.

im surprised Sega is still a company.

The game is developed by Tri-Ace. Nice try though. Im not going to get into a publisher pissing match with you, because who gives a shit. :dunno:

As for my favorite western mid-evil types of RPG from last gen.

1. Souls series

2. KoA

3. Dragons Dogma

Edited by LouTheDroog