Let's talk first Horror experience

NadeShady

I'm curious about your first Horror game experiences, like mine for example I was over at my friends house and we had raided his dad's CD case full of PS1 games not knowing what we were about to play we pulled out the one that 'looked the coolest' we ending up finding a grey and black looking CD with a picture on it named 'Silent Hill' we played through it a bit and jumped quite a bit we were totally unaware it was a horror game but it was good fun. Good times.

The bit I remember most from that game was this part, I don't want to spoil the gameplay for anyone if they haven't played it so I put it in here. This bit made us scream haha.

So what about you?

What was the first Horror game you encountered?

Did it scare you?

Were you aware it was a Horror?

Anything else?

• Like 1

I refused to play a horror game until Resident Evil 4 because of the accolades it got. I'm a huge scaredy cat and hate horror. Aside from the village and bag head chain saw abomination it wasn't all too scary. It's hard to be truly intimated by a tiny Napoleon dude. I can just imagine how RE games were back when they were survival horror. I'll never go to Raccoon City.

Playing as Ashley was scary. Because I was Ashley. -_-

• Like 3

Back when the GCN was still young, I had a choice between renting the Resident Evil remake and Eternal Darkness.  I chose RE, it scared me, especially Lisa Trevor.  I still get uneasy around zombies because they might turn into crimson heads if I don't dispose of the bodies.  Flash forward to today, RE is one of my favorite series, but I won't lie, I still get nervous playing REmake.  It's similar to the feeling I had when I first played it (and the series)

Later I bought Eternal Darkness, got more...weirded out than scared, never beat it because I let some guy die that I was supposed to save and lost my data.

Silent Hill 2 on PC is another story...I got the bright idea of playing the PC version with headphones at night alone when I was 12 or 13.  Did not end well at all.  Turned me off from the series as a whole.  Shame, cause I really would like to be able to play them.

• Like 1

The bit I remember most from that game was this part, I don't want to spoil the gameplay for anyone if they haven't played it so I put it in here. This bit made us scream haha.

I remember this fucking moment like it was yesterday... the first game i had for the original PS back in the day.... one of the best games every and that damn Piano Puzzle!!!

• Like 1

Oh i remember now (Being scared from a game)

It was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on PS2, If I remember correctly. I was obviously young and there's an area (I think it's the toilets) and at night there's a ghost that goes around there and back then that really made me super scared.  :unsure:

Edited by Ham
  • Like 2

I remember this fucking moment like it was yesterday... the first game i had for the original PS back in the day.... one of the best games every and that damn Piano Puzzle!!!

Oh the Piano Puzzle, that thing, don't get me started I totally just forgot until now..

Its not really a scary game but coming from a catholic family and told that hell was the worse thing to happen to me I was scared shirtless when I first played Shadowman back during the PS1. I never made it back to the living after being sent to hell for the first time (in the game of course.)

• Like 1

Whenever I watched my cousin play Resident Evil 4 years ago, he got to the part where he encountered the Regenerators. You know, these lovely fellows that have a slight breathing problem. The music and the breathing noise they make as well as their overall appearance made us feel extreme uneasy. In fact he quit that night so he could try again the next day. I remember walking back to my house that night though, and I kept picturing that breathing in my head.

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure which was first but I have very distant memories of both Silent Hill and Dino Crisis and how much they freaked me out as a young kid. Probably some of the first games I played, other kids grew up on Mario and Pokemon ha. Guess that explains my love of horror movies and the genre in general.

I mean look at this shit, T-Rex bursts through the window out of nowhere and then this...

Edited by UK-Danny-93
  • Like 2

I remember being scared of the game Resident Evil 3 when I was 6 years old. That cover art freaks me out and wanted NOT to play it but my cousins keeps saying that "It's not that scary". So I did try playing it and I'm having a hard time playing since I don't know the controls. I'm just shooting like an idiot wasting all my ammo. :P When It's the first time meeting Nemesis, I freak out, started running in circles, died, and never play this game again. It's a little embarrassing moment. -_-

• Like 1

Its not really a scary game but coming from a catholic family and told that hell was the worse thing to happen to me I was scared shirtless when I first played Shadowman back during the PS1. I never made it back to the living after being sent to hell for the first time (in the game of course.)

You reminded me about this game god, I played the 'hell' out of it no joke. They should definitely make a HD remake it was terrific.

I had it on the PS1, I believe I still have it! 

I can't really relate to being scare from a video game. Just because im into hardcore underground horror movies ( production quality ones no home made B.S ) If anything that came close was Probably

Resident Evil on PSone. otherwise darker more disturbing or evil the better..

You reminded me about this game god, I played the 'hell' out of it no joke. They should definitely make a HD remake it was terrific.

I had it on the PS1, I believe I still have it! 

The controls were a bit clunky but if they fixed that than I would happy buy an HD Shadow Man or even better a remake of it. I did enjoy shooting those crocodiles lol

• Like 1

First Horror game I played was FT13 on NES at the time that game gave me nightmares, I hated getting lost in the woods only to get killed and hear that creepy scream.

Then another game that scared me when I was young was Zombies Ate My Neighbors- The maze lvl always scared me too much I had to quit playing- thanx to my older sister she is the one who enjoyed scaring me with those.

My first solo Horror game I came across as a true gamer though was Silent Hill The Room- I hate that game too scary and turned me off from gaming for weeks, unlike the room Though SH2 was really good and enjoyed that game way more.

IDK weird things started to happen when I played SHTR- My room lights busted, I heard plates crash in the kitchen and went only to see nothing, My mother got sick with a bad illness, and I had two panic attacks.

I always felt that game had something to do with it just a weird feeling-gave the game to my friend he told me he sold it to one of his cousins lol.

DOOM

It's not horror in the Silent Hill sense, but it had pretty intense themes, especially for it's day. The music was this cold, synthetic, angry midi interpretations of popular rock and metal of the day. It was so... unnatural. It was perfect. Even the symptoms of the limitations of the time lends to the crushing despair this game left me with. For example, the enemies wouldn't move until the spotted you, so when you round a corner and find yourself face to face with a cacodemon, there would be about a second where it's just staring at you before it lurches to life with crackling HHHIIIISSSSS. Even though we would consider that a flaw today, it made me anxious. Most importantly, perhaps, was that I was a child of like 8 or so when I first played it, and beyond that I was raised Pentacostal, so demons weren't fiction to me. The adults at church always talked about the end of the world and armies of evil and blah blah blah... DOOM seemed as legitimate a scenario as anything else, especially the way it ended.

• 2 weeks later...