Thoughts on using guides to get trophies\platinums ?

TONY-7581

Do you use guides or do you only use it if you really have to? IMO it cheapens the trophy/platinum a little bit for me because your not actually doing it yourself I don't like using them unless I'm really stuck or I know that without the guide I won't ever get that specific trophy so what's your opinion on using them ?

I know I don't have that many platinums /trophies I'm working on it

Edited by TONY-7581

Yes. I agree that it does cheapen the experience tremendously. I myself am a purist. Meaning I do everything with zero guides. (To an extent, for instance I'll collect as many treasures in the uncharted series as i can until I'm reeeaaly stuck. Like I'm talking playing upwards of 2 hours on a single chapter just to find that last treasure before finally giving in) But yeah. I have nothing against people who use walkthroughs. Different people enjoy different things. Some make sure to have their walkthroughs sitting next to them the entire time in order to nab every trophy in one playthrough, others like to have fun first, and trophies later, and some find fun in getting trophies. It all comes down to whether or not you have the patience for it. God I could go on forever about this stuff because it gets you thinking. But theres my contribution for ya  :wub:

• Like 1

I usually don't. But even if people do, I don't think it cheapens the platinum. Most of the time if the plat is hard and takes skill, looking up a guide may lend you some advice but it won't automatically make it easier. Similar issue with collectibles; if someone wants to find them on their own, good for them. If someone wants to use a guide, good for them as well. Collectibles aren't hard, just time consuming. 

What I think "cheapens" the platinum is cheating, having someone do something for you and/or hacking. And even then, who cares? Trophies should be a personal accomplishment. I personally couldn't care less if people think my trophy list isn't impressive or if someone has 100 platinum's more than me.

• Like 2

I don't see the problem with using guides. If I'm stuck, especially in a puzzle-heavy game, it lessens the experience for me when I spend forever trying to figure out what to do. I also use them for collectables, since finding them on my own without an in-game map would just take way too long.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem with using guides. If I'm stuck, especially in a puzzle-heavy game, it lessens the experience for me when I spend forever trying to figure out what to do. I also use them for collectables, since finding them on my own without an in-game map would just take way

]I usually don't. But even if people do, I don't think it cheapens the platinum. Most of the time if the plat is hard and takes skill, looking up a guide may lend you some advice but it won't automatically make it easier. Similar issue with collectibles; if someone wants to find them on their own, good for them. If someone wants to use a guide, good for them as well. Collectibles aren't hard, just time consuming.

What I think "cheapens" the platinum is cheating, having someone do something for you and/or hacking. And even then, who cares? Trophies should be a personal accomplishment. I personally couldn't care less if people think my trophy list isn't impressive or if someone has 100 platinum's more than me

I'm not saying guides are bad ,or that there not useful but if someone starts bragging about how they got one of the hardest platinums ever and find out that he just used a guide it makes the accomplishment less of a achievement I try to stay away from guides because I want to find them I don't want a guide to tell me but if I really struggle then of course I will use one I just think the actual accomplishment is taken away and bragging rights go down

Edited by TONY-7581

I don't see a problem with using a guide really. Yeah, technically you are "cheating" a little but if you are legitimately stumped on a trophy, then by all means. You are still doing the steps necessary to earn it so...-shrugs-

I use a guide to find all the audio thingamajigs in BioShock Infinite. YES, I DO IT. I have no shame. 

I don't see a problem with using guides either. I do hold off on using them during my first playthrough of a game. I like to see how much I can get done on my own. After I complete the game, then I go back and read how to get the trophies I missed.

I'll usually take a quick look at a guide before I even start a game (just to see if there's any missables), but I'll only follow one to the letter if it's absolutely necessary (pausing your game to look at a guide/walkthrough every 5 minutes gets old pretty quick). Take Cross Edge for example: that game had one of the most complicated "True Endings" I've ever seen, it would've been impossible without a guide.

Edited by Masamune_316

I see no problem with using guides, it's things like cheating or hacking I have an issue with.Guides are purely there for assistance, I can't see how that cheapens the trophy at all, you still put the effort into the game.

My usual method with games is to just to do what I can on it at first, if I enjoy it enough, I might go for the platinum/100% (Whether that involves the use of a guide or not differs from game to game). The use of checklists however is completely different, in some games these can be vital to completion (If the game has a list where unobtained

1. is listed as either a blank spot or something like ???.
  • Like 1

I play typically games like this:

1.) 1st time I play without a guide and completely for fun

2.) 2nd time I play with a guide for the platinum (when I feel like it).

I don't feel like it diminishes the platinum and honestly, I really don't understand why it would. Companies used to make physical guides to use, but with internet access, companies don't bother with it anymore.

If anything, you should be expected to use a guide! :P

• Like 3

There's nothing wrong with using a guide, you're still playing through the game yourself.

Most games I usually try to play through without one but if there's something I don't understand to do or if I want to speed run through a game because I'd rather not play it long there's nothing bad about it.

At the end of the day, if you complete a game using your own hands without using hacks you're doing the right thing by the gaming community.

• Like 1

Whelp, seems I have 14 cheap platinums and 100s of trophies then. (Only exception being Soulcalibur V.)

I use guides, because without them, I'd be clueless. Using a guide to attain a trophy does not class that trophy as "cheap", nor your experience on a game. Please don't tell me non-guide using arrogance will be a thing, because that's just ludicrous. It's not the case that you're not doing it yourself, because you're still putting in the effort and determination to meet the conditions to unlock the trophy - It's the fact that you're using a guide in order to know how to meet those conditions in the first place.

Edited by Aexzia
  • Like 1

If you ask me, most developers probably already have internet guides in mind when designing their games. In fact, many of them publish guides of their own trying to get some extra bucks out of us. Just think of GTA V's horrible collectibles that you have very little ways if keeping track of, i doubt they ever considered somebody wouldn't use a guide to help them all. Difficulty-related trophies are still difficult when using a guide, so i really see no problem here.

• Like 1

Following a guide while playing defeats the purpose by removing any sense of challenge from the game. Worse still, it loses all sense of immersion and discovery if I'm constantly swapping between two screens.

Once the campaign is done and dusted, I'll refer to a guide to mop up the remaining trophies.

• Like 1

I don't Trophy Hunt, but I used a guide for Killzone Mercenary once I finished the campaign. Its best to finish the story part before using a guide, you won't spoil the game that way. For sports game, I guess you can use a guide right from the start :P There are a few games with trophies which highly depend on skill, so in such cases even guides wont help you. 

I usually skim through guides to see if anything is glitched or missable. Mainly for collectibles though.

There's nothing worse then going through a long game, that you hardly like, complete it. Then go through the whole thing again to get what was missable or glitched or whatever. I don't think it cheapens the platinum at all.

Like Leonardo says above me, how do you even know what the hidden trophies are or if the servers are closed or whatever?

There's even some games where they have a description, yet have nooooo clue on what the requirements are.

If (for example) you can go through Final Fantasy 13 without a guide for Treasure Hunter and do it then you are a wizard.

Plenty of examples out there, that's just the top of my head.

Edited by Meacham93