Let's Play SO4: Return of the Epic Quest

I think the name of this quest should be:

The 1% Quest.

Quest to 1%

I think that if everyone on the list got the platinum the trophy would finally hit a single digit lol.

Interesting :hmm:, but I like "Epic Quest" better.

I will join this Epic Quest if you'll have me. I will no longer hide in fear from this game. 

I completed the story on an alt account but it's time to brave those battle trophies. I'll leave the Epic intro up to you.  :D

Awesome, welcome to the team :highfive:. Which account will you use for this Let's Play?

Hey is it still possible to join? I started this ages ago before I knew about trophy hunting but never finished it. So now would be my chance & help me beat my backlog :D

You can join, but your name won't be added to the poll. Let me know if you're ok with that. If so, are you also going to write your own intro?

That's fine with me I don't post here often just lurk alot so I'm kinda new in a way. I would be honoured if you did my intro plus I'm awful at stuff like that :)

Ok, welcome to the team :highfive:

Thanks  :)  I'll use this one so I'll be starting fresh.

Ok, now I know which account to link in the OP.

So should I write down Palladium as your guess?

Actually, I was thinking Chaos would be a good name, what else could describe this game's Platinum better than that? :P

But if we're just talking about metals, then I'll stick with Palladium.

Edited by Masamune_316

So what should i do on my first playthrough prinny?

- Your first playthrough is your master run for battle trophies. Start with Galaxy difficulty so you can unlock Universe after beating the game.

- Be sure to make a separate save file before Faize leaves the crew so you can load the file after beating the game and work on his battle trophies intead of starting from scratch.

- Be sure to check out the missables before starting (treasures, monster data, weapon data, etc) and check out the differences between xbox and ps3 version because most guides are based on the first one.

- Check the Battle trophies requirements before starting so you optimize your time and shorten the grind at the end of the game.

- Go for all the character endings in this playthrough. (Some of them are missable)

- Your first playthrough is your master run for battle trophies. Start with Galaxy difficulty so you can unlock Universe after beating the game.

- Be sure to make a separate save file before Faize leaves the crew so you can load the file after beating the game and work on his battle trophies intead of starting from scratch.

- Be sure to check out the missables before starting (treasures, monster data, weapon data, etc) and check out the differences between xbox and ps3 version because most guides are based on the first one.

- Check the Battle trophies requirements before starting so you optimize your time and shorten the grind at the end of the game.

- Go for all the character endings in this playthrough. (Some of them are missable)

One question; Why make a separate save for Faize before he leaves? I never saw a point in doing that. I know all BTs carry over, including his, but isn't that only for the file you beat the game with? That is why for Galaxy mode, you do Arumat's BTs, and save Faize's for a Universe run since you'll be able to keep him. Besides, you need to keep Faize to do some of his BTs that aren't able to be done on a first run.

One question; Why make a separate save for Faize before he leaves? I never saw a point in doing that. I know all BTs carry over, including his, but isn't that only for the file you beat the game with? That is why for Galaxy mode, you do Arumat's BTs, and save Faize's for a Universe run since you'll be able to keep him. Besides, you need to keep Faize to do some of his BTs that aren't able to be done on a first run.

The idea behind this is to optimize play time.  If you focus on working on Faize trophies (Unique monster kills, Grigori kills) before he leaves then load up the file you've saved 25 hours of work or so, then just speedrun the upper difficulties.  Also some would think a Universe run might be difficult for a few of those BT.

If you want to read the efficiency guide it explains better than I can why http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309058

Edited by HatiRagnarsson

Basically because Faize is the worst character in the game. You want to get rid of his battle trophies in the lowest difficulty possible. Killing 55 grigori for example is one of the Faize Battle trophies and doing that task in Universe  will be 3 times harder and time consuming.

The idea behind this is to optimize play time.  If you focus on working on Faize trophies (Unique monster kills, Grigori kills) before he leaves then load up the file you've saved 25 hours of work or so, then just speedrun the upper difficulties.  Also some would think a Universe run might be difficult for a few of those BT.

If you want to read the efficiency guide it explains better than I can why http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309058

And this of course. Faize leaves near the end of the game so if you worked on his battle trophies it will be a waste of 20-25 hours of progress.

So what should i do on my first playthrough prinny?

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier Precision but I agree with the layout that Aexuz has here dood

For those just starting the game, you'll be taking a very different direction depending on how you plan to play the game (enjoy first playthrough, or get platinum in as little time as possible). I have rather different suggestions for those looking for an efficient route, and they won't sound too enticing, but I believe it'll be faster for the plat in the end.

Basically because Faize is the worst character in the game. You want to get rid of his battle trophies in the lowest difficulty possible. Killing 55 grigori for example is one of the Faize Battle trophies and doing that task in Universe  will be 3 times harder and time consuming.

And this of course. Faize leaves near the end of the game so if you worked on his battle trophies it will be a waste of 20-25 hours of progress.

Hmm, alright, I understand. Oh well for me, I'll deal with Faize on Universe mode. Of course, I am going to be doing an extra Earth Mode run just for Lymle's 2 EQ BTs, because they're a pain in my side with 6 wing EQ on Galaxy, and I'm not even gonna try, even with 2 wing, on Universe or Chaos, so I can speedrun the other two difficulties and save Faize's BTs for the Earth run.

Hmm, alright, I understand. Oh well for me, I'll deal with Faize on Universe mode. Of course, I am going to be doing an extra Earth Mode run just for Lymle's 2 EQ BTs, because they're a pain in my side with 6 wing EQ on Galaxy, and I'm not even gonna try, even with 2 wing, on Universe or Chaos, so I can speedrun the other two difficulties and save Faize's BTs for the Earth run.

I did the EQ battle trophies on Universe. They're not really that bad if you spend time getting awesome gear.

I did the EQ battle trophies on Universe. They're not really that bad if you spend time getting awesome gear.

Eh, It'll be a pain getting the gear I have right now back, and I don't really feel like levelling to 255 again, so I'll take my chances with Earth Mode, I don't really mind the extra playthrough since it'll be tons easier.

Wouldnt it be best to just enjoy you first playthrough on galaxy and then do the battle trophies on a 2nd playthrough on the easiest difficulty?

You could, but the Earth Mode playthrough gives you no trophy for beating it, which is usually why people says to take 3 playthroughs on Galaxy, Universe, and Chaos, for the trophies and get everything done as opposed to 4. But I say there's no problem with doing that if you're going to do a 4th anyway.

Actually, I was thinking Chaos would be a good name, what else could describe this game's Platinum better than that? :P

But if we're just talking about metals, then I'll stick with Palladium.

Well you can guess any name you want.

I figured the Epic Quest was a general term :P

All quests need a badass name!

Not saying mine btw lol.

It's not just an epic quest, it's THE Epic Quest, the most epic of them all  :P.

For those just starting the game, you'll be taking a very different direction depending on how you plan to play the game (enjoy first playthrough, or get platinum in as little time as possible). I have rather different suggestions for those looking for an efficient route, and they won't sound too enticing, but I believe it'll be faster for the plat in the end.

Please share the efficient route for obtaining the plat in the least amount of time.

Wouldnt it be best to just enjoy you first playthrough on galaxy and then do the battle trophies on a 2nd playthrough on the easiest difficulty?

I was thinking first playthrough on easy focus on BTs and collectibles and then go through the later difficulties without too much worry, hopefully.

That's what I was thinking too. Defeating the EQ with Lymle on Easy would take less effort. 

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

I was thinking first playthrough on easy focus on BTs and collectibles and then go through the later difficulties without too much worry, hopefully.

That's actually how I did it, back then I wasn't even a trophy hunter (I didn't even have a PSN account either), so I just played for the fun of it. :P Really, I'd recommended it too, I was just barely able to get Lymle's Ethereal Queen battle trophies on Earth difficulty, & I using Super Tri-Emblems too (which is actually a must in post-game).

Well you can guess any name you want.

Chaos it is then! :lol:

Edited by Masamune_316

I wouldn't recommend the Earth difficulty route, as it will take an extra 5-15 hours depending on how you play it. Galaxy is easy enough as it is, and the pre-Faize split save is the best way to go. I would basically just look over the Efficiency Guide, as it has a pretty good plan. The main change I'd suggest is to farm Bacchus' robotics drops on the Cardianon Mothership on your first playthrough, as that will take care of a lot of Faize's battles for the 3K battles BT, get one of the most annoying BTs out of the way, and set you up nicely for when you go back to your Faize save to work on his BTs (He and a bunch of your party will be a bit higher level than if you didn't do this. I know it sounds a bit silly to start the BT grinding already on your first run of the game, but I think spreading the grind out makes it easier, and I think doing the robotics drops farming early on helps in the long run, as the mothership is a missable area.

• Like 1