What is your biggest screw up on your way to a platinum?

Missed one of those collectible cards or whatever in Rage. Lost motivation to go after the plat even though I needed to do another full playthrough anyway. Just didn't want to play on Nightmare and have to deal with collecting all the stupid cards, I guess.

• Like 2

Playing Dynasty Warriors Next for around 120 to grind all weapons, random events, levels, items, and complete Conquest mode 50 times only to find out there are ad hoc trophies, which requires other players to be in the same room. 95% of the players are from Asia, so this will probably remain unobtainable for me.

Ys Celceta. That stupid trophy of getting information from an informant. Was half way through when I realized I can't go back (because once you pass a story point you can't get that informant to give you old info) so now I have to restart again.

Ys requires 2 playthroughs to plat anyway.

The road to Star Ocean's plat is littered with the bodies of many. I might yet get it one day, but the reason I don't have it is because I lost my original save file was lost when my first PS3 died. The thing is, I knew it was on the fritz, and a fellow trophy hunter warned me to back up the save, but in my arrogant stupidity, I kept right on playing, and lost the save (about 150 hours).

Then, playing again, I was careless and missed a missable chest, which forced me to find all of the chests on yet another playthrough. If I ever finish the last two trophies (I have only 3 battle trophies remaining, and I need to make three items), I might throw a real, physical party.

Stupid trophies. Stupid Japanese. Good luck to the crazy fools going for the plat in June.

That sucks. 

Thnx, you're welcome to join.

Not sure if it was the biggest mistake but here goes my most embarrassing that I can remember.

The game was Uncharted 3. I was extremely new to trophies. Had never been to this site or even seen a trophy guide at the time. I decided that I was going to try for my first platinum and began working through the trophies. For some reason, the whole idea of difficulty trophies stacking never occurred to me. You can guess where this is going. I wasted many hours beating the game on Easy, then Normal, then Hard, and eventually Crushing. About halfway through my Hard run I was like "Damn this is getting old having to beat the game on every single difficulty setting." Needless to say I was extremely embarrassed when I learned of difficulty trophies stacking and realizing I could have just done 2 playthroughs instead of 4. 

This was me on Uncharted 2! Which I still have to platinum because I got sick of playing it after 3 times :facepalm:

I have one story too, this isn't about time however but about difficulty.

Ultimate Battler in Injustice glitched for me when I did it for the first time.

It happened cause I started the game while I was connected to PSN and during "IMPOSSIBLE" battle I lost connection to the Internet, was kicked from PSN and the game started to load all battles too long, after I completed the battle trophy didn't pop up.

That was... JUST AMAZING!

Edited by Just_Amaz1ng

The one time I didn't back up my files, the system save data for Ryu Ga Gotoku 0 got corrupted. That along with the fact that it was the only save corrupted (100% at that) just sapped any desire I had to play that game. I've been at 91% ever since and it's going to stay that way for a while.

The road to Star Ocean's plat is littered with the bodies of many.

Truer words were never spoken lol.

My biggest screw up was with Alpha Protocol. I bought the game at launch and did a blind first playthrough. Come to find out my decisions ended up making a 2 playthrough plat into a 4-5 one. I still haven't finished it to this day.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - 2 trophies left 1 propably doable after few hours of training but Ace Free Missions are too damn hard. Almost f-up my first platinum Dragon`s Dogma - clicked New game instead of New game + (what add me another 1 playthrough).

Edited by Beliar4

After 100+ hours on FFXIII, noticing I selled an elemental ring  :angry:

Yep. I was in the same boat. I got all the way to Endgame Boss and did plenty of grinding to beat him only to realize I missed one ring I didn't equip. Needlessly, I raged so hard and stopped playing for a long while. Although I did get back to it and did an entire playthrough with a checklist this time.

infamous 1 - Long time ago my first playthrough I didn't choose which karma to stick with, and eventually chose good. But in the process I missed several good and/or evil trophies. Ended up having to redo the good playthrough, and that first playthrough turned into the all 350 blast shards playthrough.

Missing one enemy in Okami towards the end was a little infuriating when you realise the small window of opportunity to get it.

And not keeping track of what items i had collected along my journey in FF13. Didn't know if i picked up every element ring or if i had sold something i couldn't get back. So had to continue along and hope trophy popped. Luckily i didn't miss anything.

I spent 200 hours on Tales of Hearts R for the PS Vita trying to get that platinum trophy. I hate multiple playtroughs with a passion so I really wanted to do everything in my first playtrough. Even if it means it would take me longer. (for example in a NG+ you have exp boosts so less grinding)

I almost had the platinum trophy then I realized I was earning the trophies on my other PSN account that I never use, but I activated that PSN account on accident when I formatted my PS Vita.

Ouch!

Now I only have 1 bronze trophy for this game. I just can't be bothered at the moment. Just feel depressed knowing I have to do everything again and I know it will take me atleast 100 hours :lol::facepalm:

• Like 1

infamous 1 - Long time ago my first playthrough I didn't choose which karma to stick with, and eventually chose good. But in the process I missed several good and/or evil trophies. Ended up having to redo the good playthrough, and that first playthrough turned into the all 350 blast shards playthrough.

this, didn't realize how the good/evil missions worked. Did the first bad one and then 14 good. This was before I actually trophy hinted, I just always want to play good, did my full evil play through and then sold the game and then lost my save when my ps3 died. This year I finally went back and earned the last two trophies (full good and blast shards)

I also didn't back up my DA:Origins Mage save, so when I finally went for 1k darkspawn I did it with my warrior, who I played to level 20 because I didn't realize I could just start a new Awakenings character and get it :/, and I had already unloaded Awakenings.

In RocketBirds, there is a trophy for taking control of all enemy types. There is a type that looks no different from the standard jumbo gaurd, so I capped 'em. Then I looked it up. It only counts for one playthrough and there is only one in the entire game.

....fml.

Five and a half years ago I missed the Flyswatter trophy in AC2 and denied myself a 1st plat.

Then my HDD died on my PS3 (before cloud upload was a thing)

Just about to go hit chapter 8 again tonight to finally get this plat

• Like 1

The trophy for all Daedric quests in Skyrim, I forfeit some in my main playthrough and the two times I tried to do it again one of them glitched so I never got around to platting it. I no longer have a PS3 or the game unfortunately.

Also the trophy for all Daedric atrifacts, was 80+ hours in before I realised that I destroyed a daedric artifact and had to start all over again. I wasn't happy at all when I figured that out.

Edited by DDrag00n
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Actually I didn't screw up, the game screwed my progress up. The save file of the world in which I was making my progress in Terraria, corrupted from one day to another, and I to make things worse I had never uploaded it to the cloud storage. I had to start over, fortunately I had max life and mana and a few useful items and weapons and a decent armor which made things easier in a new world.

not sure its my biggest but one thats put me off getting the platinum..... sherlock holmes crimes amd punishments, Reach all possible conclusions in the game. played this game a couple of times got everything but just didnt select each conclusion which wouldve been reallly easy at the time.

Hmmm, well it depends if you count situations that were my fault or my PS3s fault, lol.

As up until a little less than 2 years ago I did the vast majority of my gaming on my 360, I was well prepared for Plat runs once I switched over to PS3, so I really don't have any games I didn't fully research before starting those runs.  However, a few months back when my PS3s hard drive died, I had backed up all my saves to the cloud, with the exception of the one game I was currently playng, which irony is the same as the poster above, Sherlock Holmes Crime and Punishment.  When I lost that save, I lost about 4 hours of gameplay.  Not the end of the world.  Now I back up my save just about every time I turn off the PS3 for the night.  The only example of me screwing up that I can think of is in Heavy Rain I didn't complete the gas station/quicky mart scene the right way the first time, so when I was cleaning up my ending, I ended up having to replay from that point through the end of the game.  As for some ending I had to replay from the hotel, and I was well versed on the game by that point, I believe it only delayed me an hour or maybe 2, so not that bad, but I blame the trophy guide for not specifically pointing this thing out.  Instead it said "Just have fun with your first playthrough".  Blah, it's a trophy guide, tell me I can bypass a big headache by doing a particular thing at a particular moment.  I'll have fun NOT replaying hours of gameplay I don't need to.  But yeah, that's probably my worst PS3 flub.

My worst brainfart when aiming for a Plat (1000G) run overall, was the first Assassin's Creed on 360.  When I got to the end of the game and had everything done I was surprised to see 980/1000.  I couldn't figure out why, and then I saw it was the trophy for talking with Lucy every time you come out of the animus.  I looked online to see a list of all possible conversation topics and realized I never talked to her about my motorcycle license.  At that point I had to do another complete playthrough (as I had no older saves as the game was 1 save slot with autosaving), and while it was the first game, and I only needed to crit path it, it still took me about 8-10 hours of gameplay.  I spent that entire time kicking myself and considering just not bothering, but I did eventually finish the game (again), got my achievement and moved on to AC 2, which is by far my favorite of the series (and I completed it on both consoles).

The mess up was kind of my fault honestly.

When TLOU Remastered came out I wanted to experience the game without looking at a walkthrough or guide for it. So I beat the game on normal and then decided to go for the 100%. I missed a few shiv doors, and realized that you cant get them on the hardest difficulty because there aren't enough supplies in the map. So I had to beat the game AGAIN on easy, getting all collectibles on the way, then AGAIN for grounded mode. I couldn't have gotten all collectibles on grounded either because some were behind the shiv doors.

In the end, replaying the campaign three times really took the magic of the game away from me, and I regretted every second of my 2nd and 3rd play throughs. 

I have a lot of these, especially where I play collectible runs between multiple sessions and forget where I'm at in the guide I'm looking at, I.E The Last of Us during my first Grounded playthrough, so it's very frustrating having to go back and attempt to figure out which collectibles I missed and if I can't do that, having to go back to every spot and having that uneasy feeling when I'm not sure if I missed it again or actually have all of them up to the point I'm at.

However, the one that sticks out in my mind is a game screw-up, ala Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel from the Handsome Collection. 40+ hours into the game, maxed out Gladiator and just finished the last challenge in the challenge list and guess what? It glitches and doesn't pop. I still don't know what happened and haven't touched that game since just out of frustration.