DVD, Blu-Ray or digital?

Zenpai

Which is your preferred means of watching movies/TV shows?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer when acquiring movies/TV shows?

Title says it all.

I personally used to prefer DVD, but shortly after acquiring an HDTV for my bedroom, I decided Blu-Ray was more future-proof. That and after Blu-Ray 3D came onto the market, regular Blu-Rays got cheaper, so...

Not that the PS3 can't upscale DVD on a 32'' TV just fine, though.

What about you guys?

Edited by jrdemr

For me it used to depend on the movie I was buying.

For stuff like American Pie or movies that do not rely heavily on CGI I would go with DVD.

But now I just go with Blu-ray for everything since I have a PS3 and I use it for everything. Games, movies, and even threw all of my ipod's music on to it.

Digital all the way nowadays... way too many disks (DVD Blu-Ray) so moved everything digital.  8 TB external sata drive hooked up to a plex media server running on linux and can stream all over the house.  Torrent and download everything in high quality 720p or 1080p depending on the quality I want.

Depends...

Im buying movies on BluRay, because of the quality and because they are yours then. Netflix-offers, and similars, are not always the same, so Its possible that Im unable to watch a specific movie when I want to watch it. Also, there is always the chance that you have no internet for some weeks and when I would be one of these guys that are using just digital stuff, then I would have NOTHING for this time.

Shows from TV are too expensive as disc imo... Im streaming them.

And Anime... well, in my region nobody is "seriously" offering Anime anyway (I refuse to support the overprotective german censorship and superbad voiceacting)... so, fansubs all the way ^_^

So I would say BluRay and Streaming, if the question-setup would have had allowed me that.

DVD. I'm just old fashion...I don't need any bells and whistles just to watch something and as long as I can see what's going on, I'm good.

DVD is still a perfectly acceptable viewing option. With the PS3 and X360's upscaling capabilities, as long as your TV isn't very big (under 32'') and/or you're not sitting too close to it, you'll barely notice the difference.

Personally, I just started getting Blu-Ray for the pristine video quality, being more future-proof and no longer being that much more expensive than DVD now that we have Blu-Ray 3D; but I still have no problem watching my old DVDs.

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

DVD. I'm just old fashion...I don't need any bells and whistles just to watch something and as long as I can see what's going on, I'm good.

---------------------------------------

Blu-ray - HD visuals just aren't worth the extra costs on most days for me especially given my simple tastes. I occassionally partake in them.

Digital - By conventional/orthodox means, nah. I don't want to wait for a movie to download in order to watch it nor do I want it taking up room on my harddrive. Again though, when throwing convention out of the window, its all good (someone here is bound get what I'm saying ;) )

Streaming - Its an ok option, but I absolutely hate the idea of this being the primary medium of any form of entertainment in the future. I like to own whatever it is I pay for...movies, music,

games, etc. I also hate the idea of this and Red Box replacing the movie store. NOTHING beats the experience and array of options as the movie store did. I feel sorry for you kids...

Snerk. DVD old fashioned. ;) I still have my VCR hooked up.

I like the combo packs.