National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

16 hours ago, Jare said:

The Jacksonville Jaguars have announced a new 3yr deal for qb Blake Bortles http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22569038/jacksonville-jaguars-reach-3-year-extension-qb-blake-bortles

2 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Not the guy I would have mortgaged 3 years on...

It's no more a three-year deal than pretty much any other three-year Free Agent contract signed in the NFL.  As compared to Bortles' 5th-year option, there isn't a whole lot of "new" money -- only $7 million or so -- and Jacksonville can probably get out of the contract after one year with minimal pain if Bortles regresses.

If you have doubts about Kirk Cousins -- and I certainly do -- this sort of contract is a far better gamble and a cheaper one to boot.  And that's assuming that the Jaguars could lure Cousins to Jacksonville in the first place.  Is Bortles really that much better/worse than most of the rest of the group of mediocrity that's going to be on the market in a few weeks?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, acasser said:

It's no more a three-year deal than pretty much any other three-year Free Agent contract signed in the NFL.  As compared to Bortles' 5th-year option, there isn't a whole lot of "new" money -- only $7 million or so -- and Jacksonville can probably get out of the contract after one year with minimal pain if Bortles regresses.

If you have doubts about Kirk Cousins -- and I certainly do -- this sort of contract is a far better gamble and a cheaper one to boot.  And that's assuming that the Jaguars could lure Cousins to Jacksonville in the first place.  Is Bortles really that much better/worse than most of the rest of the group of mediocrity that's going to be on the market in a few weeks?

Agreed. In this NFL, you have to roll the dice on QBs, and this gamble isn't particularly back-breaking. 

Seahawks were shopping Sherman but got no takers for the 30 yr. old CB coming off an achilles tear. He likely will be released.

Safety Kam Chancellor and DE Cliff Avril both have neck injuries that puts their futures in question.

Safety Earl Thomas is being shopped for a trade. Jimmy Graham, Paul Richardson and Sheldon Richardson become free agents.

The Seahawks do not have a pick in the second or third round.

My post of December 17 is confirmed:

"How quickly the worm can turn in the NFL.

RIP Seattle.

You had a great run, Seattle. At one time, you were invincible in December at home.

You still have a great coach and great QB but you ran out of players.

NFC West was all about Seattle and maybe Arizona. Next year those look like the third and fourth best teams in the West, with the Rams and Niners (yes, Niners) vying for first."

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, Oowa said:

It did indeed get better, but it also got a new headache.  Bennett and Sherm have become guys, that for some reason, became always angry distractions... especially Sherman.  Both guys are top players at their positions, making a ton of money playing the game they supposedly love, but both have gone way way downhill in the character department over the past couple years.  They both spend far too much time worrying about every little thing the media is saying and became all-pro's at finding reasons to complain and be miserable all the time. 

It's to the point where the vast majority of Seattle fans are actually kind of glad to see Bennett go, he's become that much of a distraction.  Sherman on the other hand, he's a cap casualty.  I don't think anyone will be "glad" to see him go when he's inevitably released, he was the man behind one of Seattle's biggest moments in sports after all, but we do understand the situation. 

Also, on another note, I just heard about Bell over at the Steelers talking about how he'll not sit the year out, but, he's not attending any OTA's or non-mandatory anythings during the pre-season.  That's the condition for him to lower himself to a measly 14 million dollars this year.  I'm old enough to remember when the Steelers were supposed to be the blue-collar, working man's team, fast forward to today and (now that Seattle's blowin' it up) I don't think there's a bigger group of divas and drama queens out there, kinda sad really.

34 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

It did indeed get better, but it also got a new headache.  Bennett and Sherm have become guys, that for some reason, became always angry distractions... especially Sherman.  Both guys are top players at their positions, making a ton of money playing the game they supposedly love, but both have gone way way downhill in the character department over the past couple years.  They both spend far too much time worrying about every little thing the media is saying and became all-pro's at finding reasons to complain and be miserable all the time. 

It's to the point where the vast majority of Seattle fans are actually kind of glad to see Bennett go, he's become that much of a distraction.  Sherman on the other hand, he's a cap casualty.  I don't think anyone will be "glad" to see him go when he's inevitably released, he was the man behind one of Seattle's biggest moments in sports after all, but we do understand the situation. 

Also, on another note, I just heard about Bell over at the Steelers talking about how he'll not sit the year out, but, he's not attending any OTA's or non-mandatory anythings during the pre-season.  That's the condition for him to lower himself to a measly 14 million dollars this year.  I'm old enough to remember when the Steelers were supposed to be the blue-collar, working man's team, fast forward to today and (now that Seattle's blowin' it up) I don't think there's a bigger group of divas and drama queens out there, kinda sad really.

It's all about the Head Coach and the culture he creates. Both Mike Tomlin and Pete Carroll are known as high-energy player's coaches, and with that, you can get a little chaos. Both coaches have also created a culture of winning. Tomlin's win percentage over the years is above .650; they are 8-7 in playoff games. So they have had too much success for me to feel sad or sorry for them. The Dallas Cowboys, on the other hand, have a group of Divas and Drama Queens enabled by Jerry Jones. They have had little success since the Aikman-Smith-Irvin days. But instead of feeling sorry for them, I revel in their continual failure (being a long-time Niner fan).

Now as far as sad goes, I present to you the Cleveland Browns.

While the vast majority of Seattle fans may be glad to see Bennett go, I'm sure his teammates don't feel that way because he is a winner. It'll be interesting to see where Sherman ends up. His priorities are (1) he must start, (2) he must play for a winner and then (3) the money. Being the outspoken person he is, I can't imagine him signing with New England. (BTW Bennett turned down a more lucrative contract with New England to play for Philly).

Can you imagine if he signs with San Francisco? Reuniting with DC Robert Saleh? They need a starting CB.

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I couldn't agree more tbh. Stephen A Smith was also saying Bennett would fit in here not just because of the defensive system, but also because of his social activism, which makes sense because we already have three other players who are geared towards that in Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Long and Torrey Smith (who will most likely be a cap casualty).

Also: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22700245/seattle-seahawks-likely-release-cornerback-richard-sherman-friday

Edited by Oowa

Bennett it guaranteed at least one penalty a game, that's the only reason this Seattle fan would be glad to see him go. Releasing Sherm frees up a lot of cap space. I don't see the Niners finishing above the Hawks next season, but who knows..

Edited by Green

Browns traded for WR Jarvis Landry. Reports are saying that they still have the No's 1 & 4 overall picks. Saying that it'll be between rounds 3-7. Steal if you ask me. #GoBrowns!! #GoDEFENDINGSBCHAMPSEAGLES!! 

EDIT: They also traded a 3rd round pick (#65 overall) to Buffalo for Tyrod Taylor. Sheesh!! Offense will be good this upcoming season. 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Browns traded for WR Jarvis Landry. Reports are saying that they still have the No's 1 & 4 overall picks. Saying that it'll be between rounds 3-7. Steal if you ask me. #GoBrowns!! #GoDEFENDINGSBCHAMPSEAGLES!! 

EDIT: They also traded a 3rd round pick (#65 overall) to Buffalo for Tyrod Taylor. Sheesh!! Offense will be good this upcoming season. 

Oh my God, I can't believe it. But there it is.......a good front office move by the Browns. They have upgraded their offense with OC Todd Haley, QB Taylor and WR Landry. They might even win a game or two this year.

Now let's see if they revert to their core selves by screwing up the draft.

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

Oh my God, I can't believe it. But there it is.......a good front office move by the Browns. They have upgraded their offense with OC Todd Haley, QB Taylor and WR Landry. They might even win a game or two this year.

Now let's see if they revert to their core selves by screwing up the draft.

I can almost guarantee you that they will find a way to screw it up. Though, I think the Browns will pick up saquon barkley now. They almost have to! It makes the most sense!!! A dual threat as a running back and deep ball threat with his speed to blow coverages... OMG. This has to happen, right!?!

But somehow, they'll draft Josh Allen (who I think will be the next DeMarcus Russell... Has a cannon with zero accuracy) and the Giants will have Barkley fall in their lap. The Browns will "groom" Allen for 8 games while Tyrod Taylor struggles with few options and the Browns go 1-15... I truly feel sorry for their fans.

10 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

But somehow, they'll draft Josh Allen (who I think will be the next DeMarcus Russell... Has a cannon with zero accuracy) and the Giants will have Barkley fall in their lap. The Browns will "groom" Allen for 8 games while Tyrod Taylor struggles with few options and the Browns go 1-15... I truly feel sorry for their fans.

Funny thing:  Of all the QBs being touted as 1st-round picks and potential franchise guys, the only one I want the Jets to draft is Josh Allen.  Josh Rosen is a walking concussion to me, and that's a problem in today's NFL -- especially with the Jets not having the offensive line to adequately protect a guy right now.  I'm not really sold on Sam Darnold.  And Baker Mayfield screams "Johnny Manziel 2.0" to me, which would be an awful thing to have around the distractions of NYC.

Yeah, Allen has his issues such as accuracy.  But I like the rest of his game and his measurables seem like they should translate to NFL success, especially if someone can fix the accuracy stuff.  So he's the one guy I'm comfortable with the Jets taking at #6 or even moving up to snag.

As for Big Blue?  If they take anything other than a QB at #2, they're dooming themselves to a decade of mediocrity.  Because this is their best chance to get a franchise QB to replace the zombified remains of Eli Manning, and unless you think Davis Webb can be that guy there isn't another path for them to get one.  And without that great QB, it's hard to win in today's NFL.  Not to mention that they don't have the infrastructure to support a good RB even if you believe one should be taken that high, because the Giants' offensive line might be the worst one in the sport and they're about to lose their two best linesmen to Free Agency.

If the Giants are going to stay in their draft slot and not take a QB, they need to take that mammoth Offensive Guard and start rebuilding their line.

12 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

But does Allen have the same passion for Super Size upgrading every meal like Russell? 

"Can you imagine if he signs with San Francisco? Reuniting with DC Robert Saleh? They need a starting CB."

Free-agent cornerback Richard Sherman is scheduled to meet today with San Francisco 49ers officials. The 49ers want to make sure Sherman is healing from his injuries, and if both sides are pleased with the meeting, they will try to get a contract done.

5 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

But does Allen have the same passion for Super Size upgrading every meal like Russell? 

No, and unlike DeMarcus Russell, he doesn't consume purple drank (codeine based cough syrup + mountain dew).

18 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

"Can you imagine if he signs with San Francisco? Reuniting with DC Robert Saleh? They need a starting CB."

Free-agent cornerback Richard Sherman is scheduled to meet today with San Francisco 49ers officials. The 49ers want to make sure Sherman is healing from his injuries, and if both sides are pleased with the meeting, they will try to get a contract done.

No, and unlike DeMarcus Russell, he doesn't consume purple drank (codeine based cough syrup + mountain dew).

Let's be fair and not character assassinate DeMarcus Russell (whoever he is). It's JaMarcus Russell of NFL bust lore. Which goes to show you just how forgettable he is/was. 

Not that I'm deluded enough to think the era of Jed York being a total fucking moron is anywhere near over, but at least the Niners have a chance of not being a totally pathetic waste of space next year like they have since Harbaugh left.  The last couple years of attempting to rival Cleveland for their spot at bottom of the barrel, coupled with all the politics (whether you agree or not is irrelevant, I want to keep my sports and politics separate), I just haven't been very interested.  I only watched 1 game this past season, the Super Bowl (which I admit, was a great game and had a fantastic ending).  Maybe next season will be worthwhile for this long time football fan.

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

Sugar, Water, Purple? https://youtu.be/UayQTu2kH-U?t=1m46s