National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

12 hours ago, Conker said:

. Did tonight show the rest of the league how you beat the LA Rams 

Completely taking away the run game and having a pass rush that's that effective in 20-something degree weather is a great formula for beating anyone, lol.  Problem is, in the playoffs the Rams don't have to worry about the weather because, as it stands, the only team they'd have to travel to is NO, who play in a dome.  Thankfully though, that dome is one of the hardest places to travel to.

40 minutes ago, Spyro said:

It was pretty cool. I was wondering what the hell Gronk was doing out there. Seems the Pats are now wondering the same thing. xD 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000998468/article/patriots-struggle-to-explain-using-gronk-in-final-play

sorry for lack of proper typing. thats going to be a phone only thing for a bit lol.

honestly i know the long bomb wasnt likely but a longer pass could have been thrown and i think gronk was there simply for his height just in case he needed to run up into a group. i mean there were other players out there that probably just thought miami wasnt getting their miracle and they are just as much at fault imo. 

50 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

honestly i know the long bomb wasnt likely but a longer pass could have been thrown and i think gronk was there simply for his height just in case he needed to run up into a group. i mean there were other players out there that probably just thought miami wasnt getting their miracle and they are just as much at fault imo. 

That's exactly why Gronk was there. Your pundits, analysts and experts can preach all they want, but football is about probability versus consequence.

Had the Hail Mary been thrown, and worked, Bill still would be getting shit from everyone questioning his failure to not put Gronk in. Again, it's about probability versus consequence. Most of the time he's on the money, but this time he wasn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheLakota said:

That's exactly why Gronk was there. Your pundits, analysts and experts can preach all they want, but football is about probability versus consequence.

Had the Hail Mary been thrown, and worked, Bill still would be getting shit from everyone questioning his failure to not put Gronk in. Again, it's about probability versus consequence. Most of the time he's on the money, but this time he wasn't.

it seemed pretty obvious to me why but after seeing all the questioning on the decision i was wondering if maybe my pain meds were screwing with my thought process lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So looking at the playoff picture has me wondering, and I know it'll never change but, should a guaranteed spot in the playoffs be reward enough for winning a division?  Meaning after division winners and wildcards are established should seeding be based on records alone?  Chargers fans would especially like to know.

Yes, a division winner should be guaranteed a playoff spot.  That's the point of divisions, after all.

What shouldn't be guaranteed is a home game.  I know it isn't nearly as meaningful in the NBA, save for the ticket revenue, but I like how they do things:  They guarantee a division winner a Top 4 seed (from an 8-team field), but home court advantage is dictated solely by records/tiebreakers.  I think you could do the same thing in the NFL, guarantee a division winner a Top 4 seed but let the Wild Card host the game if they have a better record.  Winning your division guarantees you a dance ticket, but that's all it does.  And if you don't win your division, it's up to you to be good enough to merit inclusion.

14 hours ago, Conker said:

I'll put this out there, who here thinks the Steelers miss the playoffs, there last 3 games are against the Patriots,Saints and Bengals?

Pittsburgh is going to kill the Bengals, because they'll get to Week 17 with a chance at a playoff spot.  They just may not be in the driver's seat by then.

I think the Steelers have a decent shot against New Orleans, if only because the Saints will have a first-round bye wrapped up by then and might pull back on the reins a little bit to avoid injuries.  Especially since it's virtually a fait accompli that the Rams will do the same thing -- they believe very strongly in doing so -- and therefore the Saints can afford to let a game slip away and still come away with homefield.

Line of scrimmage was the 31, so he would have likely been throwing it from his own 25 (or possibly deeper).  That is not a hail mary situation. 

Gronk being out there running in quicksand and tripping over his own feet was quite comical.  He has put his share of defenders on "not top 10", but this one he was on the other end.  He is doing what he can on offense, but his body is starting to fail him.  He probably retires after the season.

Steelers probably still get in, but a real chance the Ravens win the division at 9-7 with Steelers falling to 8-7-1.  Baltimore had the Chiefs beat yesterday, let them off the hook.

I like the NFL division format and perfect balance of 32 teams, 4 teams a division, for scheduling, etc.  Yes, sometimes the wildcards are better than the 3 and 4 seeds but so be it.  And the NFL is a year-to-year league (week-to-week even) so it is not like one division stays dominant or terrible for long.

NHL does it worse where the Capitals and Penguins were forced to face in the 2nd round of the playoffs two years in a row after they had the two best records in the NHL.  Because they were in the same division, NHL playoffs make you play division teams early no matter the records.  Really silly.

Edited by djb5f

1 hour ago, acasser said:

Yes, a division winner should be guaranteed a playoff spot.  That's the point of divisions, after all.

What shouldn't be guaranteed is a home game.  I know it isn't nearly as meaningful in the NBA, save for the ticket revenue, but I like how they do things:  They guarantee a division winner a Top 4 seed (from an 8-team field), but home court advantage is dictated solely by records/tiebreakers.  I think you could do the same thing in the NFL, guarantee a division winner a Top 4 seed but let the Wild Card host the game if they have a better record.  Winning your division guarantees you a dance ticket, but that's all it does.  And if you don't win your division, it's up to you to be good enough to merit inclusion.

I'm of the same mind.  Once you win your division, you're in no matter what.  After that, the best teams should reap the benefits over bad teams in bad divisions (when the Seahawks won the West at 7-9 that means they had a guaranteed 6 games against even worse opponents, not the toughest schedule).  It would still make divisional games matter, just not quite as much, which I'm cool with.

2 hours ago, TheLakota said:

This, exactly this. I still remember that painful 2015 Packers Hail Mary game in Detroit and the aftermath when people were wondering why in the hell didn't Caldwell put Calvin Johnson in the backfield as a precaution. Bill made the right move, he just had the bad luck of bad execution

13 minutes ago, majob said:

This, exactly this. I still remember that painful 2015 Packers Hail Mary game in Detroit and the aftermath when people were wondering why in the hell didn't Caldwell put Calvin Johnson in the backfield as a precaution. Bill made the right move, he just had the bad luck of bad execution

Packers were 10 yards closer and Rodgers has a much better arm than Taneyhill.

Would Gronk had still been back there if the Dolphins were at the 20 instead of the 30?  At some point, it makes zero sense that he was in there and no one who watches football regularly was thinking they would try a Hail Mary (probably to the Pats 10-15 yard line).  Hook and ladder type play was their only option.

part of it is that Gronk is so broken down, not sure he is a better option than say Josh Gordon at this point even if they were in Hail Mary range.

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

Packers were 10 yards closer and Rodgers has a much better arm than Taneyhill.

Would Gronk had still been back there if the Dolphins were at the 20 instead of the 30?  At some point, it makes zero sense that he was in there and no one who watches football regularly was thinking they would try a Hail Mary (probably to the Pats 10-15 yard line).  Hook and ladder type play was their only option.

part of it is that Gronk is so broken down, not sure he is a better option than say Josh Gordon at this point even if they were in Hail Mary range.

As I said earlier, it comes down to probability versus consequence. The likelihood of them throwing a Hail Mary may have been low, but the consequences for not preparing for the possibility could have also bitten them in the ass. 

It's easy for you to say it made no sense for Coach B to have Gronk in the backfield defending the deep ball, though be honest with yourself: you'd likely be shitting on them for not utilizing Gronk had Miami gone for a Hail Mary and had said Hail Mary been successful. It's easy to judge in hindsight, especially when you're not the one on the sideline making the call. 

Not as "pivotal" of a game now that they beat the Panthers but a win tonight sure would mean a lot.  Here we go.

Edit:  I wonder if they've lightened up on the QB rules, that hit on Cousins on the Vik's opening drive seemed like it would have drawn every flag on the field in the beginning of the year.

Edited by skidmarkgn

- Well, in the battle of "my offensive line is worse than yours" the Vikings clearly won last night. And that is the current choice for the starting 5, so nobody's out with injures.  All off-season, fans and the local press were asking how they would upgrade the O-line, and the GM and Zimmer completely ignored the issue, yet again. Coach Zim wants to run but there's nobody that can run block at the line of scrimmage. :facepalm:

- It's abundantly obvious the team misses Pat Shurmer as OC. He used the tools he had and made them work by calling plays for the players' best assets. Case Kennum the prime example. John DeFilippo (old Eagles QB coach), calls plays that work on paper, ignoring who he has as personnel. Belichick proved last week you could double-team Diggs and Thielen and Seahawks copy-catted it and worked to perfection.  Yet DeFilippo forgets he has an All-Pro TE in Kyle Rudolph to take advantage of that. :facepalm:

Players have had enough of current OC when an open mic accidentally caught Thielen saying "should've been called all F-ing night!" On a fourth-quarter slant to him. 

- No worries that any player on the Vikings roster could possibly be a Vampire because they disappear for night games. Five of six losses when then sun is down. ?

Congrats Skidmark on making the playoffs! Just please retire those jerseys. I broke the color tint button on my TV last night.  

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1

Vikings still may nab that 6th spot after all.  Someone has to get it!

i am finding it funny that the Colts would be in a playoff spot right now if it wasn’t for Reich’s aversion to ties.  He preferred a loss to a tie and it may keep them from making the playoffs lol.

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Congrats Skidmark on making the playoffs! Just please retire those jerseys. I broke the color tint button on my TV last night.

I think the Seahawks have the best jerseys in the NFL. That said, I'm really glad I don't have cable, because that would've been a horrendous game to watch.

Unfortunately, the Vikings might still make playoffs, where they'll just embarrass themselves some more. Winning 2 of 3 would put them at 8-7-1, which might be enough in the sad, sad NFC. The Bears should beat the Packers, which will clinch the NFC North for them, eliminate GB for good, and allow them to rest players during Week 17 against the Vikes. Meanwhile, the Saints will want to keep pace with the Rams for the #1 seed, so they aren't likely to let up against the Panthers. Eagles should get clipped by the Rams and Texans, but we'll see.

Best case scenario is the Vikes sneak in at #6 and play the Cowboys. At least then when we lose, it'll only be by single digits.

• Like 1

Cassylvania, you mock the NFC but the AFC looks similar (or slightly worse).  The 6th playoff spot in the AFC will also be bad and 8-7-1 might win the AFC North lol.

the conferences look very well balanced.

Saints/Rams/Bears/Cowboys/Seahawks/6th

vs.

Chiefs/Patriots/Texans/Steelers/Chargers/6th

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 3