National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

1 minute ago, skidmarkgn said:

Now can we PLEASE avoid the dreaded 10 A.M. start for the Dallas / Seattle game!!  Seattle struggles enough in Dallas without the additional kick to the nuts.  

This game will either be the Night game Sat night or the late afternoon game Sun.  This will be considered the marquee game.

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

-Le'Veon Bell - most say the Jets, I guess we'll see. 

New York is his second choice, perhaps because the Jets have the salary cap space to give him a crapton of money.  I'm hearing a lot of Bell-to-Indy chatter.

If it were me?  I'd offer him 4 years and $56 million -- no signing bonus at all, the first two years fully guaranteed, the third guaranteed against injury.  And if that's not good enough for him, he can find employment elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

What are you doing, Bears!? Bench your starters! The Rams are already up by three scores.

Don't let the Eagles into the playoffs!

Just wanted to point out that if Chicago lost to Minnesota, they'd do it all over again next weekend.  Only Minnesota could be perceived to have momentum and confidence after beating the Bears a few days prior.

Philadelphia is no bargain, either, but I wouldn't like the karma of throwing a game to a team you're going to face again for much higher stakes the following week.

With the Colts beating the Tennessee Titans they officially wrap up the #6 seed in the AFC, and to think they were 1-5, how about Andrew Luck for comeback player. And that means the Pittsburgh Steelers are eliminated from the playoffs.

So This is how Wildcard weekend is all times eastern

Saturday 5th January 

Colts @ Texans 4:35 PM ESPN/ABC

Seahawks @ Cowboys 8:15 PM FOX

Sunday 6th January 

Chargers @ Ravens 1:05 PM CBS

Eagles @ Bears 4:40 PM NBC

Edited by Conker

7 minutes ago, Conker said:

So This is how Wildcard weekend is all times eastern

Saturday 5th January 

Colts @ Texans 4:35 PM ESPN/ABC

Seahawks @ Cowboys 8:15 PM FOX

Sunday 6th January 

Chargers @ Ravens 1:05 PM CBS

Eagles @ Bears 4:40 PM NBC

Was expecting the SB to be Chargers Saints, though I've been high on Baltimore all year and may have to ride with them. 

I got Ravens, Texans, 'hawks and Chicago. 

The Denver Bronocos have fired head coach Vance Joseph http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25653579/denver-broncos-fire-vance-joseph-back-back-losing-seasons

The Miami Dolphins have fired head coach Adam Gase http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25653673/miami-dolphins-fire-coach-adam-gase

Edited by Conker

33 minutes ago, Conker said:

Marvin Lewis has been fired too.

41 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

giphy.gif

There's bound to be some idiot on Twitter who will make the claim though. There were people blaming racism when the Falcons lost to the Patriots in the  2016 super bowl and with Peyton beating out Cam in 2015. Sad but true

Edited by majob

7 minutes ago, majob said:

There's bound to be some idiot on Twitter who will make the claim though. There were people blaming racism when the Falcons lost to the Patriots in the  2016 super bowl Peyton beating out Cam in 2015. Sad but true

Of course they will. Doesn't mean we have to acknowledge such baseless rhetoric; it essentially validates them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acasser said:

So now that Vance Joseph, Marvin Lewis, Steve Wilks, and Todd Bowles have all been removed from their coaching duties, how long is it until "the usual suspects" start picketing the NFL and crying racism?

Well looks like ESPN is first on the scene

• Like 1

The Marvin Lewis firing has been a long time coming, it sucks when someone loses their job but I'm sure he'll be just fine.  And it's not the playoff failures or recent bad seasons that bothered me, it was his inability (or unwillingness) to do anything about guys like Burfict and Jones.  

The Wilks firing (Cardinals coach right?) I don't like.  Dude had one year with a rookie QB and seven, SEVEN, O-lineman on IR.  How is his defense expected to do anything when you injury riddled offense and rookie QB are last in basically every category.  They get the #1 pick and players back next year, he should have gotten a chance beyond that one year.

4 minutes ago, majob said:

Well looks like ESPN is first on the scene

Wait wait wait... how did they find time to talk about anything other than Lebron?  I mean, I'm pretty sure they're contractually obligated to have him on the screen or be the primary topic of discussion for at least 23 hours and 59 minutes a day.

19 hours ago, acasser said:

Just wanted to point out that if Chicago lost to Minnesota, they'd do it all over again next weekend.  Only Minnesota could be perceived to have momentum and confidence after beating the Bears a few days prior.

Philadelphia is no bargain, either, but I wouldn't like the karma of throwing a game to a team you're going to face again for much higher stakes the following week.

Bears should have benched the starters in the second half and taken a loss if it happened. They proved beyond a doubt, that they completely dominated the Vikings in every facet of the game in the first half. Vikings had four consecutive 3-and-outs to start the game, two total yards of offense in the first quarter, and were abusing a banged-up defensive secondary. They kicked the Vikings' butt in the trenches. But the most telling was that the Bears knew they were better than the Vikings, AND the Viking players were intimidated. 

With a loss by your bench, you get to take on a team that has mentally surrendered to you, at home the next week. Instead, you take on the defending Super Bowl champions who are playing with pride and momentum, and are riding a hot-handed quarterback. 

Good luck Bears, because once you take on a defensive team that flusters Trubisky, you're done. And that could happen in six days. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Bears should have benched the starters in the second half and taken a loss if it happened. They proved beyond a doubt, that they completely dominated the Vikings in every facet of the game in the first half. Vikings had four consecutive 3-and-outs to start the game, two total yards of offense in the first quarter, and were abusing a banged-up defensive secondary. They kicked the Vikings' butt in the trenches. But the most telling was that the Bears knew they were better than the Vikings, AND the Viking players were intimidated. 

With a loss by your bench, you get to take on a team that has mentally surrendered to you, at home the next week. Instead, you take on the defending Super Bowl champions who are playing with pride and momentum, and are riding a hot-handed quarterback.

Yup. It's kinda ironic that the Bears were playing to put themselves in a better position (the #2 seed), but ended up in a much worse position by winning and having to play the Eagles. They could have essentially HAD a bye if they had just let the Vikings win.

The good news for us is now one of two things happens: either the Bears lose next week and we get to laugh at how they played themselves, OR the Eagles lose and...well, that's always a good thing.

Either way, bad play on Chicago's part. You let the wolf into the hen house. This is all on you, Nagy and YOU TOO, JON GRUDEN -- you evil, evil man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

The Wilks firing (Cardinals coach right?) I don't like.  Dude had one year with a rookie QB and seven, SEVEN, O-lineman on IR.  How is his defense expected to do anything when you injury riddled offense and rookie QB are last in basically every category.  They get the #1 pick and players back next year, he should have gotten a chance beyond that one year.

The Cards took a flyer on Wilks and it was obvious it wasn't working. He had little experience as a coordinator so his hire was a gamble to begin with. Rumors started coming out mid-season about a frustrated locker room with him,  but what fired him was that he lost the fan base. The fans are fed up with the team and fairly or unfairly, Wilks took the brunt. AZ fans aren't the most die-hard anyways, so they abandon ship quick with ticket sales and the front office panics.

It was a bad job to begin with. It was a franchise on the slide if you looked close enough. Once Palmer retired, they were lost at QB, the OL was suspect even before injuries, and they lost a number of their offensive gems, like John Brown. Basically, they missed their window and will need to rebuild.