National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

1 minute ago, majob said:

I know the Steelers wouldn't have matched with the Colts in that case but my point was that bad teams have been slipping into the playoffs for years. 2014 when the Panthers won the NFC South by virtue of being the least worst team shows the flaws of the playoff system. It works for the most part but we do have undeserving teams making the post season

Oddly enough, the most underserving team to make the playoffs this year is the Eagles. They had to cheer for the Bears to help them out. But even as a Vikings fan, I can acknowledge that they deserve it more, because they won the games they needed to, while the Vikings couldn't even take care of their own business at home.

While I get your point, I don't think the Texans slipped into the playoffs because they're the best of the worst. If anything, that honor goes to the Colts. Both of these teams bounced back from being disasterous starts this season, unlike the Steelers, who (surprise, surprise) continually played down to the competition. The NFL would be very different if we just gave playoff spots to teams that look good for a couple of games.

That said, this is a pretty bad game. I hope the others are a little more interesting.

• Like 2

Well the Texans laid eggs for 3 qtrs before finally scoring in the 4th qtr, but they were never in it ever, The Colts were way too good today, lets get ready for a rematch of that epic Wild-card game from 2013. I wonder if ESPN are disappointed again, in all 5 of there playoff games only 1 has been any good and that was last seasons Titans @ Chiefs. 

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Good on Seattle for making it in but, once again, offense that's as predictable as the tides is their downfall.  Short run, short run, incomplete pass, punt over and over and over isn't gonna get you anywhere in today's game.  Good game Dallas.

Did Buck or Aikman say that the Seahawks led the league in rushing this season?  That really surprises me if true as the OL does not look that good and no major star RBs.  Wilson’s runs add to it but I thought he was running less this year.

Coming down to an onsides kick now.

Edited by djb5f

A good win by my Cowboys in the win over Seattle, finally scoring some td's against them and the defense making some big stops. My Best wishes go out to Allen Hurns after the scary injury he took in the 1st qtr which looked really bad.

Yeah that on-side kick was um well bad, i do wonder how much if any of a factor was the injury to Sebastian Janikowski

Where did the line end up?  Cowboys -2.5?  The late garbage time TD and 2 point conversion win/lost a lot of people money.

Not sure who the Cowboys prefer.  The Saints (probably the better team) who they already shut down or the Rams.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:51 PM, djb5f said:

I got the road teams in the AFC, the home teams in the NFC

2 for 2.  Think I will get the 4-for- 4 sweep with the Chargers and Bears tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Did Buck or Aikman say that the Seahawks led the league in rushing this season?  That really surprises me if true as the OL does not look that good and no major star RBs.  Wilson’s runs add to it but I thought he was running less this year.

Coming down to an onsides kick now.

They lead the league because Pete insists on running the ball 90% of the time no matter what (the only time he seems eager to throw is if it's 3rd and 3 or less).  The O-line is pretty good at run blocking (still abysmal at pass blocking) but every team pretty much knows, stop the run, stop the offense.  Russ will burn you with the occasional big play but they're always far too unwilling to just open it up.

Edited by skidmarkgn

I actually thought they would've had a good chance with the onside kick, seeing how weird some of those drop kicks can come out, but that was...bad.

Baldwin had an amazing catch, but shame on the Seahawks' offense for not taking advantage of that interception by K.J. Wright. Those penalties cost them the game, IMO. That was the most important drive of the game, and they did nothing with it.

21 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I actually thought they would've had a good chance with the onside kick, seeing how weird some of those drop kicks can come out, but that was...bad.

Baldwin had an amazing catch, but shame on the Seahawks' offense for not taking advantage of that interception by K.J. Wright. Those penalties cost them the game, IMO. That was the most important drive of the game, and they did nothing with it.

I've heard all year long that some rule change has made onside kicks pretty much impossible now?

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I've heard all year long that some rule change has made onside kicks pretty much impossible now?

Wasn't it the change in where the people running start? Since they aren't allowed to be at full speed once the ball is in play they can't get to it as fast as they used to.

^look at me and my technical terms lol. (bold section.)

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

That's true. Joe Buck gave some crazy stat that teams were successful in onside kicks only  4 out of 50 (ish) times this season. Previously, NFL teams had a success percentage around 40%.

It was crazy Seattle got stimied by having an Aussie punter. I'm guessing most NFL punters have doubled with kicking duties on their high school teams and could manage being an emergency fill-in on extra points, short field goals or kickoffs. Australian Rules Football is fun to watch, but there's no onside kicks in that sport. 

14 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

That's true. Joe Buck gave some crazy stat that teams were successful in onside kicks only  4 out of 50 (ish) times this season. Previously, NFL teams had a success percentage around 40%.

It was crazy Seattle got stimied by having an Aussie punter. I'm guessing most NFL punters have doubled with kicking duties on their high school teams and could manage being an emergency fill-in on extra points, short field goals or kickoffs. Australian Rules Football is fun to watch, but there's no onside kicks in that sport. 

The success rate has gone from 21% (last season) to 8% (this season).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

One of the rule changes is that teams can't overload one side with the majority of their players.  It's a "safety issue", but it also serves to make it more difficult to recover an onside kick because you don't have the bodies to block the defending team and also have an extra player (or two) to recover a well-placed onside kick.

In short, if the other team is playing for the potential of an onside kick, it becomes very hard for the kicking team to recover because they simply cannot flood the zone anymore.

Well the Ravens in the end made it a game, but the Chargers were better for most of the game and deserved to win and now can have fun going to play the Patriots. Lamar Jackson needs to fix his fumbling issues which in the end cost the Ravens a chance at a miraculous win

1 minute ago, Conker said:

Well the Ravens in the end made it a game, but the Chargers were better for most of the game and deserved to win and now can have fun going to play the Patriots. Lamar Jackson needs to fix his fumbling issues which in the end cost the Ravens a chance at a miraculous win

Do you think they should’ve put in Flacco?