National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

42 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Considering the short week I'll take the win as it is... Now focusing on the toughest game so far against Seattle, hope will be a great game just as good ol' time.

Like we just saw, divisional games are always a different breed.  However, I'm expecting a thrashing in the 49ers/Seahawks game.  If San Fran has any success stopping Seattle's run game then Bosa's gonna single handedly win that game, I'm pretty confident they will, which means I'm pretty confident he will.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the 9ers win big.

12 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

When did the giant toaster in Glendale become "State Farm Stadium?" Congrats to the Cardinals for finally swapping out the fraudulent organization known as the University of Phoenix, but State Farm doesn't fare much better on a moral compass. 

Come on now.  We know it's all about the money, all the money, and nothing but the money.  You take the cash for the naming rights and keep it a simple business transaction, because anybody who does any digging can find moral failings from a corporation.  If you seek perfection in your sponsors, you'll find the perfect is the enemy of the good.

So teams and stadiums have accepted a lower standard.  As long as the company offering you the cash isn't a complete reprobate, they'll take the money.  Near as I can recall, there are only two situations where a stadium/team has NOT taken the money.  There's old Enron Field in Houston, now named Minute Maid Park (if I'm up to date on my stadia vernacular).  And when MetLife Stadium was being built, I recall Allianz was in position to purchase the naming rights until there was an outcry about the German insurer's connections to the Third Reich and Nazi-ism.

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Acquiring Gordon was the last thing I was expecting Seattle to do. Hope for the best, expect the worst I guess.

Troubled past, but he's still good for 5-10 touches a game and if anything, can create space and different options for Wilson. Good pickup if Seattle isn't looking at Gordon being a primary receiver.

Well Dolphins finally have a win, defeating the equally bad Jets

Eagles win over the struggling Bears

Chiefs in maybe last game without Mahomes beat Vikings 26-23

Steelers back to 4-4 with tight win over the Colts, whose main concern will be Brissett who left game and did not return

Is it wrong for me to wish that somebody would push Adam Gase off the team plane on the way home?  Like maybe while the stupid thing is out over the Atlantic off the Carolina coast?

I'm done with this fucking mess.  The Jets are an embarassment and there's plenty of blame to go around to an awful lot of parties.

• Like 1

Think it can be confirmed.  Seattle's defense sucks.  They can't rush the passer at all (Ansah has been a huge bust so far), therefore, their secondary can't cover anyone because opposing QB's have all day to throw and receivers have all day to get open.  Add the hardest second half schedule in the league with the division they play in, multiplied by their abysmal defense and you get a recipe for missing the playoffs all together.

Edited by skidmarkgn

6 minutes ago, acasser said:

Is it wrong for me to wish that somebody would push Adam Gase off the team plane on the way home?  Like maybe while the stupid thing is out over the Atlantic off the Carolina coast?

I'm done with this fucking mess.  The Jets are an embarassment and there's plenty of blame to go around to an awful lot of parties.

the Jets were on the good side if that result.  Been (another) lost season a long time ago, just have to hope you finally get the Draft right.

So Dallas and Baltimore are the only two teams that, as of right now, haven't played 8 games, which is close enough to the halfway point to me.  Mid-season surprises and disappointments

Surprises:

- 49ers are 8-0.  Yeah they've had a soft schedule but that's a pretty common theme this year.  They have a damn good team but honestly who saw them leading the division with an 8-0 record at the halfway point?

- Colts are in it.  When Luck retired most people threw in the towel on the Colts, who are only a game behind in the division.

- Bills are 6-2.  Another heavy dose of easy schedule but despite their offense they're 6-2 and who knows, maybe they can actually take the Pats down on the 2nd try.

- NFC West.  8-0, 7-2, 5-3.  Pretty sure everyone was expecting the Rams and Seahawks to be fighting for 1 and 2 with around 10/11 wins.  In come the 49ers to spoil it all.  I'm losing faith in Seattle but as of right now the NFC West is ridiculous.

Disappointments:

- I'm not calling the Browns a disappointment, but that's because I didn't have much faith in them to begin with.  Baker's starting to look more and more like the 2nd coming of Manziel and Kitchens is out of his league.

- Jets.  No one was expecting a division win here but they just lost to the Dolphins.  The Dolphins.

- The AFC.  took 8 weeks to be DOWN to one team with zero wins.  

- QB's dropping like flies.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

the Jets were on the good side if that result.  Been (another) lost season a long time ago, just have to hope you finally get the Draft right.

This was supposed to be a year to take a step forward, after three terrible years under Todd Bowles and Mike McCagnan.  Instead, it looks like they're back to Square One.  Because we're getting to the point where the team is going to splinter, where players are going to start shoving each other and the Head Coach under the bus, and where other guys are going to start demanding trades.  It's not a question of "getting the draft right" because they've supposedly done that the past few years, at least at the top of the Draft.  It's a question of getting all sorts of other things right.

The foundation is going to dissolve before everybody's eyes.

44 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

- Jets.  No one was expecting a division win here but they just lost to the Dolphins.  The Dolphins.

This is the sort of game that's going to have talk radio demanding Adam Gase's head on a pike tomorrow and rightfully so.  This is the sort of game that's going to have planes flying banners over practice (or at least the Jets-Giants game next weekend) demanding Gase's head on a pike.  This is the sort of game that inspires other fans to purchase billboards demanding Gase's head on a pike.  And if the latter two sound familiar, that's what happened to John Idzik during his brief tenure as Jets' GM.

And since the Jets have an inept, interim owner right now, he'll probably find a new way to screw this up the way he's screwing up so many other things.

4 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I don't know...if it were me with a 4th and goal, was it 4th and goal?, seconds before the half...I'd go for the TD and tie the game up. :dunno: 

I don’t understand how they did not move that up to the half yard line as it is was clear that White was not touched.  The rules expert in the booth seemed they could not correct the spot even after reviewing?  Sounds like the NFL.

If it were correctly put at the half yard line, I am sure the Pats go for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

I don’t understand how they did not move that up to the half yard line as it is was clear that White was not touched.  The rules expert in the booth seemed they could not correct the spot even after reviewing?  Sounds like the NFL.

If it were correctly put at the half yard line, I am sure the Pats go for it.

It took a while but eventually they showed Peterson's(?) foot touch what's-his-face's shoulder before his hand grazed him.

On a separate note, the call that blew my mind was Arians not going for 2 to just try and win it.  You're a 2-5 team with nothing to lose and Seattle hasn't been able to stop anything, what's stopping you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

It took a while but eventually they showed Peterson's(?) foot touch what's-his-face's shoulder before his hand grazed him.

On a separate note, the call that blew my mind was Arians not going for 2 to just try and win it.  You're a 2-5 team with nothing to lose and Seattle hasn't been able to stop anything, what's stopping you?

Right.

You can bet your ass cheeks if this were any other combination that person would be enjoying an early NFL retirement. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-condemn-jermaine-whitehead-twitter-rant-containing-death-threat-racist-language-040542210.html

lol as I was typing this I just read he got waived. Fucking clown. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

You can bet your ass cheeks if this were any other combination that person would be enjoying an early NFL retirement. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-condemn-jermaine-whitehead-twitter-rant-containing-death-threat-racist-language-040542210.html

Got what he deserved, absolutely disguting is what he posted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Wew. Guy needs thicker skin if a tweet made him that salty.

12 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Fucking idiot! 

Also, at the Giants game, there was a black cat on the field. How did it get there? Poor thing.