National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

So the initial line for the Thursday night "showdown" is Baltimore -15.

Yeah.... no.  I'm thinking that's a very generous spread.  To the Jets.  I don't gamble -- it would only prove how not smart I really am -- but I'm thinking that I wouldn't blink at laying the points if it were Baltimore -20.  Maybe even Baltimore -25.  Because I'm thinking we're going to see a lot of Robert Griffin III in extended garbage time and mop-up duty on Thursday night.

After yesterday it's apparent that Stafford's time in Detroit is close to over and Patricia may not be in the hot seat yet but he's going to have a mountain of adversity from players and fans next season and GM Bob Quinn is probably saying a Hail Mary right now because his job is tied to Patricia.

Another Sunday, another Lions hangover

I waited until this morning to respond to what happened yesterday because I wanted it to sink in.  As far as being a fan of the teams I am a fan of and a hater of the teams I hate, yesterday was as close to perfect a football weekend as I think I'll ever get.  The big 3: Nines won.  Seahawks lose.  Pats lose.  Granted, I also wanted the Steelers to lose and Texans to win, but at least the Titans won, so there's still a slim hope the Steelers miss the playoffs.  I really wanted Buffalo to win if the Pats lost, so I'm sad about that a little, cause with the Pats loss, the Bills could have pulled even with them and decided their own fate (win out and win the division).  Now it looks like they'd need a miracle to take that division.  Was also not expecting the Packers to move into #2 in the NFC.  It's based on their conference record, I suppose, which could change a lot in the upcoming weeks, but Saints being bumped to #3 is interesting.  A Saints v Niners rematch in the playoffs is looking less likely now.  But man, that was a close game.  Niners toying with me to the very end.  I'm glad they were able to pull it off.

1 hour ago, Splathew said:

I will be the first to admit the Chiefs had some calls go their way. That said it was some really bad officiating all around. Both teams had some calls go in their favor that had me shaking my head in disbelief.

Was it really that bad? I was reading a few articles with self proclaimed "chiefs fans" saying they actually felt kinda bad about the win due to the officiating but I didn't get to see the game. Most of the comments were about 2 bogus decisions against the Patriots but I can't remember what they were now.

5 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Even if it turns out to be a crock of shit...in today's world all that needed to be done was say it. History is against them but we all know what happens nowadays when someone says something even if it proves to be untrue. They could release the video and show 100% innocence and there will be the theories of "protecting the golden team" and "doctored for cheaters" and whatever other nonsense comes out.

I've always wondered...what really stops a team from having someone with a good phone record a sideline during a game? :hmm:

8 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

so there's still a slim hope the Steelers miss the playoffs. 

I feel obliged to point out that for the Steelers to miss the playoffs, they almost certainly have to lose a game to the Jets.  Or to a Ravens team that is likely to have homefield advantage wrapped up prior to kickoff Week 17, with those Ravens coached by a guy who sat pretty much every relevant player the last time Baltimore was in that situation.

Mind you, the Jets will have ten days off before the Steeler game, but that's probably the best argument I can come up with for that particular matchup to go the way you want it to.

1 minute ago, skidmarkgn said:

Eagles fans are letting the team HAVE IT!!

AS WELL THEY SHOULD! Remember, the boo birds once booed Santa Claus. And Doug Pederson is no Kris Kringle.

I seem to be the only person to have picked the Giants for this game. Manning does not turn over the ball like Jones and is much better able to recognize defenses. And then there is the emotional factor. Philly looks ready to pack it in and quit.

8 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

I seem to be the only person to have picked the Giants for this game. Manning does not turn over the ball like Jones and is much better able to recognize defenses. And then there is the emotional factor. Philly looks ready to pack it in and quit.

I picked them when talking to my dad lol. He thought I was crazy. xD

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, Matto_lsi said:

...and on that note, I predict a Giants victory on Monday Night.

16 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

I seem to be the only person to have picked the Giants for this game.

:)

1 hour ago, acasser said:

I feel obliged to point out that for the Steelers to miss the playoffs, they almost certainly have to lose a game to the Jets.  Or to a Ravens team that is likely to have homefield advantage wrapped up prior to kickoff Week 17, with those Ravens coached by a guy who sat pretty much every relevant player the last time Baltimore was in that situation.

Mind you, the Jets will have ten days off before the Steeler game, but that's probably the best argument I can come up with for that particular matchup to go the way you want it to.

Like I said, a slim hope.  I very much don't like that organization, but at the end of the day it doesn't directly affect my teams if they make the playoffs, not unless they somehow meet the Niners in the SB, which I give a .03% chance right now.

Edited by Matto_lsi

2 minutes ago, Yuna4353 said:

I honestly knew it was going to happen because Giants fucking suck 

I hear you but in the NFC East there is Lots of Sucking. 5 seed in NFC gets a feel-good game against the Lots of Sucking Survivor of the NFC East.

Don't see a problem for either SF or SEA.

Just now, PsychicVibe said:

I hear you but in the NFC East there is Lots of Sucking. 5 seed in NFC gets a feel-good game against the Lots of Sucking Survivor of the NFC East.

Don't see a problem for either SF or SEA.

Yea honestly ether NFC East team is going to lose in the wildcard round 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yuna4353 said:

If Dallas hosts Seattle, Green Bay or Minnesota, I'd put it at a coin flip.  San Fran or the Saints should roll 'em.  If the Eagles some how pull off the division win, one and done, just can't see them doing anything against the other playoff teams.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

If Dallas hosts Seattle, Green Bay or Minnesota, I'd put it at a coin flip.  San Fran or the Saints should roll 'em.  If the Eagles some how pull off the division win, one and done, just can't see them doing anything against the other playoff teams.

I'd agree except I think you're giving the Cowboys too much credit.  I think at least Seattle and Minnesota get the better of them easily, and Green Bay probably wins that one too.  Eagles I fear more just cause I expect awful weather in Philly that time of year.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was a blizzard, just because it was wildcard weekend.

10 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Well fuck.

You'd think Pat Shurmur and Eli Manning would work a little harder/better to fuck up the Giants' plans for this off-season.  Manning is going to be kicked to the curb and probably retire.  Shurmur is going to get fired.  The least they could do on their way out is win a few games so the Giants pick #6 or something instead of #2 or #1.  (Big Blue will win a tie-break with the Bengals for the #1 overall pick, so a single Bengals win may be enough at this point.)

I feel bad for Giants' fans:  Games like last night are why they can't have nice things.

9 hours ago, Yuna4353 said:

I still believe it's going to be harder for San Francisco/Seattle to win that game than a lot of people in these spaces think.  Even if the numbers aren't quite as one-sided as they are in the Divisional Round, home teams win a significantly large percentage of games in the Wild Card round, enough so that it strongly suggests homefield is worth something even if it's a mediocre team hosting a really good (but not division-winning) team.  Seattle and Beast Mode Marshawn Lynch over defending-champion New Orleans is the past matchup that comes to mind most easily, but there are several other instances where an 8-8 division winner beat a Wild Card entrant that had 11 or even 12 wins.

The 5th seed should beat the NFC East champion.  But that's why they play the games on the field and not on paper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acasser said:

I still believe it's going to be harder for San Francisco/Seattle to win that game than a lot of people in these spaces think.  Even if the numbers aren't quite as one-sided as they are in the Divisional Round, home teams win a significantly large percentage of games in the Wild Card round, enough so that it strongly suggests homefield is worth something even if it's a mediocre team hosting a really good (but not division-winning) team.  Seattle and Beast Mode Marshawn Lynch over defending-champion New Orleans is the past matchup that comes to mind most easily, but there are several other instances where an 8-8 division winner beat a Wild Card entrant that had 11 or even 12 wins.

The 5th seed should beat the NFC East champion.  But that's why they play the games on the field and not on paper.

I see significant differences in that home field advantage.  Seattle's 12th man is known throughout the league as that is one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL and the fanbase is hardcore.  7-9 or 15-1, they're cheering at home in a playoff game just the same.  Dallas however, has... a big stadium? lol  Also the Seahawks, as you said, had beast mode, in his prime no less, as well as one of the most fearsome safety duos of our time.  They weren't called LOB yet, but that's who started it.  No one fears the Cowboys D.  And yes, anything can happen, Dallas could find a way.  But those Saints a decade ago were not as good as the top NFC teams are this year.  And the Cowboys are much worse than those Seahawks.  A lot of #4 teams win a home playoff game cause the wildcard team is no better than they are.  In this situation, anyone who goes into Dallas (if they win the East) is going to be a far superior team.  Doesn't mean Dallas can't win, they could, any given sunday and all.  But I think it's just being realistic to say they probably will be outmatched.

15 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Time for Manning Magic

or is it Manning Tragic

I'm hoping for the former.

Manning Tragic.  More career losses than wins now.

41 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

Nah, that does not work.  The NFL season is a lot more interesting because of division (and conference) races.  Just seeding by power rankings sounds terrible in that they are arbitrary (some sort of committee deciding?) and division rivalries would not mean much.  These games the next few weeks will be a lot more because of division races and playoff positioning.  In his method, if you finish with a power ranking of 5-7, who really cares which one.  

Also, for his power rankings this week, having the Eagles jump up 6 spots because they rallied to beat the hapless Giants at home in OT? Ummm, no.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1