National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

We don't need this now!

Have you looked at the NHL recently?  1/3 of that League's teams are currently shut down (entirely) over the virus.  The League has postponed every game this week involving one team from Canada and one team from the U.S.  Several of the teams that aren't shut down have had their rosters ravaged by this virus.  34 games scheduled between tonight (Monday) and Thursday and 26 of them have already been postponed.

The NFL is getting off pretty lightly, all things considered.

Well it got postponed to Monday and in the end we got a really fun game with Mullen’s doing a solid job for Browns but ultimately coming up short as Raiders get a massive win on game winning field goal at end to move to 7-7 and keep the AFC wild card race a really tight battle 

Welp, can't say I'm surprised to see the Browns lose at home given what they've been hit with. Honestly, with the way the season went, I'm glad they're basically out of playoff contention. Guys can heal up and be ready for next season. Overall, there needs to be a change in offensive philosophy, defensively they need to REALLY play up to their overall strengths (like play JJ3 in the box, not deep, got Delpit and LeCounte for that), allow our DB's to play man coverage more and mix up some blitz's in-between it. 

4 hours ago, acasser said:

Have you looked at the NHL recently?  1/3 of that League's teams are currently shut down (entirely) over the virus.  The League has postponed every game this week involving one team from Canada and one team from the U.S.  Several of the teams that aren't shut down have had their rosters ravaged by this virus.  34 games scheduled between tonight (Monday) and Thursday and 26 of them have already been postponed.

The NFL is getting off pretty lightly, all things considered.

Fair enough...the whole thing sucks, though. 

Fuck's sake, was there any part of this game that didn't completely accommodate L.A.? 

Firdt they reschedule the game (which I thought they said was not going to happen this year, period) so L.A. can get players healthy while Seattle loses a bunch, then the one way officiating took away any chance they had.  I mean, the 2 third downs converted for L.A. on terrible P.I. and holding calls (one being a 3rd and 12 with the Rams being buried DEEP on their side of the field) were bad enough but seriously, the BLATANT P.I. against Dallas on 4th and 6 for Seattle not only got ignored but they had the audacity to also give him an unsportsmanlike because he was pissed about it... and what a shocker, it was that disgrace Hochuli and his joke of a crew who I'm sure, despite their complete ineptitude, will get to ruin game after game for years to come.

Must be nice to be a big market team.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 2

Yeah that no pi call was just a joke, it ended game and in end Seahawks last chance to get a wildcard spot, for win Rams move into tie with Cardinals for top of NFC West

Eagles come from 10 down to run all over Washington 27-17 with 230+ rushing yards to move to 7-7 and 7th place, this game also had one crazy interception, Dallas Goedert drops ball that goes off his heel and into Landon Collins arms 

Edited by Conker

Goedert is looking like the next Travis Kelce.  Big, strong, athletic, and fast.  If he doesn't have those 2 drops, he's easily over 150yds for the game.  Thank god Jason Kelce didn't decide to hang it up.  Not to be a homer, but he's been one of the most underrated lineman in the league for the last few years.  But he's the heart and soul of the offense and plays like it.  Crazy pick though off Goedert's hands & heel and probably would have been a pick 6 if they hadn't blown the play dead.  But he made up for it later on a badly thrown deep ball where the safety flew over, picked it, but Goedert wrestled it out of his hands before they hit the ground. 

In typical philly fashion, gotta talk shit about something so D-Line where you at?  What was projected to be one of the best lines in football hasn't amounted to shit.  Fletch finally showed he still cares last night, but Hargrave has disappeared after a great start, Josh Sweat got paid and disappeared as well, and Barnett always stunk.  Gilbert was back there grilling steaks.  QB  G.Gilbert blocked DE D.Barnett out of a run play too.  Dude got pushed out of a play by a fucking QB.  Still can't believe this guy broke my all time favorite players sack record at Tennessee  lmao. 

The Bears mess of a seson continues as this week it'll be Nick Foles starting https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/24/nick-foles-to-start-for-bears/

Baltimore will be without Tyler Huntley this weekend and Lamar Jackson still nursing injury so journeyman Josh Johnson will get the start https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32936113/source-baltimore-ravens-qb-tyler-huntley-tests-positive-covid-19-sunday

The Arizona Cardinals slump to there 3rd loss in a row and potentially being in a wild card spot tomorrow, Whilst Colts move to 9-6 very much closing in on playoff berth whilst keeping the slim division hopes alive for 1 more week

Packers hold on to beat Browns and mantain hold on 1 seed large part thanks to 4 Mayfield picks and a solid game from Rodgers and Devante Adams, Browns wildcard hopes take hit, still alive but the costly no call on 4th pick late in game where they were driving to win was massieve and still leave questions on is Mayfield the qb for the future

I'm disgusted with the NFL League Office right now, moreso than usual.  It's plainly obvious that their only priority is getting those games played and damn the situations and the consequences.  Player Safety is a dead letter, the integrity of the games with masses of players injured or sidelined with Covid is a lousy joke, and who cares if a couple of good teams miss the playoffs (and a couple of sucky teams make it) so long as they can throw a facsimile of their product out there and milk the sponsors?

New Orleans playing a pivotal game with a rookie QB backed up by a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in two years, this after the Saints tried to pry guys out of retirement to play Monday?  Check.

Baltimore signing the Jets' 4th-string QB off of NY's practice squad to start Sunday?  Check.

Chicago playing a QB that they spent the entire off-season trying to trade because they have no other options?  Check.  (At least Chicago-Seattle doesn't have more than draft implications.)

Baker Mayfield flying to Green Bay a day behind his team because of protocols and the Browns promptly doing their best Zack Wilson/Alex Kessman imitations?  Check.

The NHL is the only one of these Leagues who got it (partially) right -- they shut things down for a week to try and let the virus get through and out of everybody.  They probably ought to shut down for a few more days, but everybody knows that the NHL will be back up and running by this weekend because heaven forbid they should lose another Winter Classic (scheduled Saturday) and the related television dollars.

• Like 1

Chargers with a Brutal Killer loss to the Texans to damage there wildcard hopes which they now need help 

Rams Win over Vikings to clinch playoff berth and help secure the Cardinals playoff berth too

Bengals put up 40 plus as Burrow throws for 500 as he lights up the Ravens, as they inch closer to the AFC North 

Bills take over AFC East with win over Patriots 

Bucs win NFC South drubbing yhe dreadful Panthers

Raiders keep playoff hopes alive witth 4 point win over Broncos which all but eliminates them even if have a mathematical chance 

Eagles take the 7th playoff spot in a easy win over the Pathetic Giants

Falcons remain alive for playoffs after hanging on in end thx to game winning pick over the Lions

Foles starts for Bears and in the end it worked as he leads them on late td drive and 2 point conversion and then defense stops Seattle, to offcially Eliminate them from any playoff hopes

Chiefs wrap up the AFC West and mantain 1 seed after a easy win over the Steelers, a game that was over at ht

and Jets hold on with a late 4th down endzone stand to get win 4, in win over the Jags 

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Foles starts for Bears and in the end it worked as he leads them on late td drive and 2 point conversion and then defense stops Seattle, to offcially Eliminate them from any playoff hopes

That garbage is exactly why I don't give a shit who they keep and who they don't next year.  That game went 100% to Seattle's 2021 script.  Play well-ish in the first half... and only the first half.  Second half was Pete and Norton's obsessive "no deep balls" soft zone bullshit defense that allows offenses to consistetly dink and dunk 90 yard drives, combined with an offense that vanishes,  the ToP inevitably turns into a 3:1 advantage for the opposing team and the defense wilts at the end because they're too exhausted to stop anything. 

If they trade Russ, I don't care anymore.  I don't wanna hear about his injury, he's been awful for a year and a half now, someone's WIDE open 5-7 yards down the field and 50% of the time he'll either throw it 5 feet over their head or behind them.  His deep ball is starting to be consistently underthrown and his scrambling ability is all but gone.  Add that to whatever mental block he has when "throwing" to Metcalf and he's been VERY underwhelming since the halfway point of last year.  He's bitching about getting hit too much but a decent amount of the sacks he takes are on him.  He holds onto the ball for forever because he either doesn't see a wide open receiver or just straight refuses to just throw the ball away, he's not the same athlete he used to be and the transition into a "pocket passer" has been anything but smooth.

Same goes with the coaching staff.  Offense is stale and predictable and the defense is a passive "play not to lose" nightmare.  Jamal Adams is a perfect example.  Everyone's pointing and laughing about what a bust he's been but last year he set a franchise record for the # of sacks at his position.  When he's up front terrorizing Qb's he's a formidable force and, IMO, worth every bit of capitol (especially when you look at their first round picks as of late) but, for some reason, instead of being aggressive they're constantly putting him in coverage which is easily the weakest part of his game.  They did the same fucking thing for 2 of Jimmy Graham's 3 years here.  It's extremely simple shit like that they constantly ignore.

And finally, GM... Schneider's drafts have also been salty diarrhea for far too long now.  The O-line has been an issue for years, this most recent draft they had a very high quality center fall in their lap in the second round, instead they pick a gadget receiver that literally had everyone wondering what the Hell they're doing.  Simple.  Shit.  I mean, just look at their 1st and second round picks over the last 6-7 years and there's maybe 3 guys who haven't been complete busts.  There's simply not  anyone in the top of the ranks who's doing their job at even a mediocre level right now.

My man Joe Burrow is now in the 500 club, torching the Ravens for 525 yards and 4 TD’s! Somehow after all these years with the league becoming more and more pass oriented, the record is still held by a guy from the 1950’s named Norm Van Brocklin.

Jamarr Chase and Tee Higgins became the first duo to reach 1,000 yards receiving each in the same season before reaching 23 years old.

The present and future is bright in Cincinnati. Just need one more win to clinch the division.

So SNF was basically a Cowboys celebration of clinching division in the drubbing of Washington in a game that was never close, this game showed how scary Cowboys could be if put it all together, they still remain alive for 1 seed. Whilst Washington just stay alive in wildcard race but will need to win out and help

Dolphins move into 7th seed in AFC with there 7th win in a row easily beating a depleted Saints team that was never a chance in this game, Dolphins next face Titans in another huge game they gotta win to keep this incredible wildcard run going, As for Saints they will hope to get players back they heavily missed and will need to win last 2 games and get help to make wildcard

15 hours ago, Conker said:

Dolphins move into 7th seed in AFC with there 7th win in a row easily beating a depleted Saints team that was never a chance in this game, Dolphins next face Titans in another huge game they gotta win to keep this incredible wildcard run going, As for Saints they will hope to get players back they heavily missed and will need to win last 2 games and get help to make wildcard

Saints aren't an important enough team to postpone the game for I guess.

5 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Saints aren't an important enough team to postpone the game for I guess.

After this debacle last year?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202011290den.htm

I have zero sympathy for the Saints and their COVID issues.  If it wasn't important enough to the integrity of the game and the League to postpone THAT game last season and to make the Denver Broncos play a game without an actual quarterback on the active roster, then karma says it's quite appropriate to make New Orleans play missing umpteen players of their own including their top three quarterbacks.

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

A sad day. RIP legend. I hope they honor him by having a version of Madden next year with him on the cover and they give the game a little extra shine.

Edited by NMErickson

2 hours ago, acasser said:

After this debacle last year?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202011290den.htm

I have zero sympathy for the Saints and their COVID issues.  If it wasn't important enough to the integrity of the game and the League to postpone THAT game last season and to make the Denver Broncos play a game without an actual quarterback on the active roster, then karma says it's quite appropriate to make New Orleans play missing umpteen players of their own including their top three quarterbacks.

I don't feel bad for them either, it just seems that the postponing of games seems... selective this year.

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Madden and Summerall were the soundtrack of my adolescence. And beyond. Those were two legends. 

I wonder how many kids today say “ Madden died? The video game producer??”