National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Another wasted season for the Cowboys losing 23-17 and letting clock run out to end game after a qb run after making a 4th qtr comeback and far to many penalties,  just embarrasing to be a Cowboys fan....

49ers should be glad to survive  today a game they should have put to bed and yet didn't, they will have to play  much better at Green Bay next week if they want a chance to upset the Packers, they will also hope Bosa will be able to play

Edited by Conker

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Been seeing people call for Jerome Boger to be fired after last night. Did he screw up? Yes. Does he deserve to lose his job? No.

This is hardly the first time people have called for Jerome Boger's scalp over his officiating and that of his crew.  I don't think very highly of him as a referee, or of his crew, and that's even by the low standards I hold for NFL officiating in general.

One can certainly question why he still has his job after years of this sort of thing.

2 hours ago, ULTRABOSS009 said:

I have never seen a game with so many flags and penalties. In my opinion both teams would have deserved a loss.

These games are becoming more and more over-officiated.  The NFL must address in the off-season.  Yes, the teams play a role but there is a lot of subjectivity too. 

At least this one did not have an inadvertent whistle or bailout defensive pass interference penalties like some but they called everything else under the sky.  The officials put themselves as a main storyline including the clumsy final spotting with the official running in from what seemed like 20-30 yards away.

Just no flow allowed to the game.  Reminds me of hoops when it turns into a Free Throw fest with a foul called nearly every trip.

Elsewhere, the Eagles and Steelers were terrible all season and rewarded with a playoff berth (and a humiliation).  Playoff expansion watered down the wild card action this weekend.

2 hours ago, Conker said:

49ers should be glad to survive  today a game they should have put to bed and yet didn't, they will have to play  much better at Green Bay next week if they want a chance to upset the Packers, they will also hope Bosa will be able to play

Never underestimate Kyle Shanahan’s ability to cough up a big lead in the playoffs (Falcons/Pats, 49ers/Chiefs).  They tried again but one too many self-inflicted mistakes by the Cowboys.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

So this is how Big Ben’s career ends. I’m thrilled the Chiefs won. Even though they’re

playing at home again next week, still a bit nervous about playing the Bills. Bucs didn’t lose, but can’t have everything. Doubt the 49ers and Bengals will make it past next week. Interesting to see how tomorrow goes. 

Divisional round (all times US east coast)

Saturday

4:15 PM Bengals vs. Titans

8:15 PM 49ers vs. Packers

Sunday

3 PM Cardinals/Rams vs. Buccaneers

6:30 PM Bills vs. Chiefs

Edited by MidnightDragon

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Elsewhere, the Eagles and Steelers were terrible all season and rewarded with a playoff berth (and a humiliation).  Playoff expansion watered down the wild card action this weekend.

Even with the 6 team format it was pretty common for an undeserving pile to back door their way in, gotta feeling the 7 team format is gonna produce a lot more non-competitive turds than Cinderella's in the years to come.  Hopefully it won't last but, judging by the continuing existence of ThNF (which I don't watch anymore unless it's the annual Seattle/L.A. game), I doubt it's going anywhere.

1 minute ago, skidmarkgn said:

Even with the 6 team format it was pretty common for an undeserving pile to back door their way in, gotta feeling the 7 team format is gonna produce a lot more non-competitive turds than Cinderella's in the years to come.  Hopefully it won't last but, judging by the continuing existence of ThNF (which I don't watch anymore unless it's the annual Seattle/L.A. game), I doubt it's going anywhere.

Since it’s big ratings and big ratings=profits.

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

So this is how Big Ben’s career ends. I’m thrilled the Chiefs won. Even though they’re

playing at home again next week, still a bit nervous about playing the Bills. Bucs didn’t lose, but can’t have everything. Doubt the 49ers and Bengals will make it past next week. Interesting to see how tomorrow goes. 

Divisional round (all times US east coast)

Saturday

4:15 PM Bengals vs. Titans

8:15 PM 49ers vs. Titans Packers

Sunday

3 PM Cardinals/Rams vs. Buccaneers

6:30 PM Bills vs. Chiefs

Damn this means it's going to be 2:15 AM here... :facepalm:

NFC Least living up to its rep.  Hurts played awful.  I hate Gannon's soft zone defense.  And Howie refuses to admit he botched the draft picks of Reagor and JJ Whiteside and forces them on the team trying to create a diamond out of a turd.  Ryan Kerrigan came alive after being invisible all season and looked like the Kerrigan who killed us all the time when he was on the Redskins.  Other than him, it was an ass kicking put on us in tampa bay. 

Meanwhile in Dallas.....lol  WTF was all that? Looked like the last 3 minutes was gonna last to the 1st Q of KC v PIT.  Dak gave his lineman the ball to spot so then the ref comes in and sacks Dak to end the game.  ? 

Dak's actions were incredibly stupid. He should have slid as soon as he got the first down instead of getting greedy and he should have known that the umpire has to touch the ball before you can make a play so picking it up and moving it was dumb

The ending to the 49ers-Cowboys game is one of the big reasons why I've advocated over the years for a rules change.  I'd like to see the NFL adopt a rule from college football; to be specific, the NCAA has rules where the clock stops on a 1st down inside of the last couple of minutes of each half until the ball is set and ready for play.  I feel that the rule helps take the "human element" and officiating out of things because there's no need ro run a Chinese Fire Drill similar to the ending of SF-Dallas.  The officials get the opportunity to get the spot right and get everything ready to go without the artificial pressure of having the clock ticking and the possibility that being a little slow would have a material impact on the game.

I understand the playcall that Dallas made in that spot and the expressed logic behind it.  I agree with it, too.  And, yes, Dak probably should have given himself up a little earlier just to be on the safe side.

But I also hate this scenario where it can be said that the referees had an impact on the outcome of the game because that's never what you want to see happen.  It's not as awful as the officiating was in Cincinnati the other night, but you'd still like the players to be the ones making the plays and determining the outcome.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, majob said:

Dak's actions were incredibly stupid. He should have slid as soon as he got the first down instead of getting greedy and he should have known that the umpire has to touch the ball before you can make a play so picking it up and moving it was dumb

Yea. Also encouraging the fans for throwing trash at the refs…not cool. Lost a lot of respect for Dak. Grow up.

@Zio_Sam87 Thanks for pointing out my typo. Fixed it.

Edited by MidnightDragon

On 1/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, djb5f said:

These games are becoming more and more over-officiated.  The NFL must address in the off-season.  Yes, the teams play a role but there is a lot of subjectivity too. 

I know this is the NFL thread, but this isn't just in the NFL. The NCAA has become pretty bad about it, too. Between the increasing tendency to leave things to replay (which sucks), and the terrible number of ticky-tack penalties, it's become almost unbearable.

Here's one new rule that I wish would be put in the books: if an offensive lineman can keep a defensive lineman in front of him, there should be no holding call. Only if that holding comes when a defensive player has beaten the offensive player should the flag come out. This used to be an unwritten rule, but the NFL seems to want to clamp down on holding a bit, and it sucks. 

17 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Overall, disappointed with this weekend. Most of the games were blowouts. Hopefully not the case in the divisional round.

This season was full of top heavy teams and teams that had no business being in the playoffs to begin with. More playoff teams means more teams with poor records can sneak in and with only one team getting a bye, the second seed will often just blow out the poor schmuck set up against them

5 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Expecting this weekend to be a home team affair, though the Chiefs are the only ones I think might be in question. Don't tell my sister I said that or she'd kill me. xD 

I’m rooting like heck for the Niners, but they are going to have to play hard for a full 60 minutes in Green Bay.  Last two weeks they have won, but have also had occasional minutes of subpar focus vs. Ram and Cowboys. But I like their chances because this team seems to be motivated when they are the underdog. 

5 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I’m rooting like heck for the Niners, but they are going to have to play hard for a full 60 minutes in Green Bay.  Last two weeks they have won, but have also had occasional minutes of subpar focus vs. Ram and Cowboys. But I like their chances because this team seems to be motivated when they are the underdog. 

I'm worried about Rosenthal's pick for the Niners after two weeks that he got them wrong... Jinx incoming? However, all depends on Bosa and Warner state: they're in, we might have some chances; they're out, say hello to Rodgers scoring every damn possession...

• Like 1

even getting sacked 9 times didn't stop Joe Burrow and the Bengals as they grab a 3rd Tannehill pick with under a minute left to get into fg range and kick the game winning fg to advance to the AFC Championship for a 3rd time, previous 2 times they went to the superbowl 

What Joe Burrow was able to do tonight vs the Titans despite getting sacked 9 TIMES? Unreal! The defense shutting down Derrick Henry and picking off Tannehill 3 times? Clutch! The AFC Championship Game next week will be one for the ages, regardless of who wins the Chiefs Bills game tomorrow! I just hope the Bengals come out on top! WHO DEY!