National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Well, if you hadn't fucking lied about your vaccination status, maybe this wouldn't have happened, you selfish piece of shit! No offense to Packers fans, but...fuck you, Rodgers! I hope they throw the book at him. This shouldn't be tolerated.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/04/aaron-rodgers-furious-with-nfl-leaking-his-vaccination-status

• Like 2

Browns cut Odell Beckham Jr. Honestly I’m glad this happened. Should’ve been traded to get something in return, but at this point, I’m glad with the decision the front office made. If he balls out elsewhere, it’ll make it look like Baker’s the problem all along; but realistically speaking, he was freelancing in a rhythm based offense, and that’s not gonna work. Good luck to him wherever he goes and I hope he does well, except when playing the Browns. 

11 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Well, if you hadn't fucking lied about your vaccination status, maybe this wouldn't have happened, you selfish piece of shit! No offense to Packers fans, but...fuck you, Rodgers! I hope they throw the book at him. This shouldn't be tolerated.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/04/aaron-rodgers-furious-with-nfl-leaking-his-vaccination-status

This was a stunner to me. While I agree that medical records shouldn't be leaked (and this is a medical issue), what the hell was Rodgers thinking? 

But then again, it probably wouldn't have sounded great to say, "Nah. I don't need a vaccine. I use homeopathic remedies!"

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

This was a stunner to me. While I agree that medical records shouldn't be leaked (and this is a medical issue), what the hell was Rodgers thinking? 

But then again, it probably wouldn't have sounded great to say, "Nah. I don't need a vaccine. I use homeopathic remedies!"

I get that your vaccination status is nobody's business but your own, your family, and your doctor. Don't get me wrong. The fact that ticks me off is that he lied about it and may have exposed others. If he didn't want to say it, he could say that's private. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I get that your vaccination status is nobody's business but your own, your family, and your doctor. Don't get me wrong. The fact that ticks me off is that he lied about it and may have exposed others. If he didn't want to say it, he could say that's private. 

I think the bigger story is that the Packers and NFL knew he did not get vaccinated and let it go.  

In Rodgers’ mind, he was fine with natural immunization or homeopathic remedies.  But to be able to play, this stuff gets documented through vaccine cards (highly unlikely it was forged or that is another story), and the NFL and Packers turned a blind eye.

Star players get star treatment.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I think the bigger story is that the Packers and NFL knew he did not get vaccinated and let it go.  

In Rodgers’ mind, he was fine with natural immunization or homeopathic remedies.  But to be able to play, this stuff gets documented through vaccine cards (highly unlikely it was forged or that is another story), and the NFL and Packers turned a blind eye.

Star players get star treatment.  

Guess we'll see what happens...if anything. 

So seems Browns didn't need OBJ , putting up 41 in big win over Bengals

Some upsets today Broncos drubbing Cowboys,  Falcons over Saints, Giants over Raiders and the Jags defeating the Bills 9-6

No Tua no problem, Dolphins get win 2 today 

Ravens regain AFC North lead with OT win over the Vikings

Patriots move to 5-4 with easy win over the Panthers, another awful game from Darnold with 3 picks and no tds

• Like 1

I'm probably about to "step into it" by voicing some (likely to be) unpopular opinions, but here goes:

First of all, I've listened to most of the interview Rodgers did with Pat McAfee.  He doesn't sound like one of those barbarian Luddites that seem to be the target of the media and the politicians and the bureaucracy these days.  It sounded to me that Aaron Rodgers did some research and made an informed decision.

How often do we hear about players -- in all sports -- who get busted for drugs in their system and suspended?  And who come out with the lame excuse that they didn't know what was in that supplement they took or whatever?  It sounds to me that Rodgers did his research, turned down two of the vaccines because he was allergic to ingredients that are in them, and turned down the third because of the reported side effects.  That third vaccine, if you recall, that was pulled out of circulation by the government earlier this year because of those side effects.

I have a difficult time condemning a professional athlete for refusing an experimental treatment.  Even without the whole drug testing stuff, and how that could get somebody sanctioned for running afoul of certain rules, we're talking about something whose long-term effects are completely unknown.  And most of the people trying to claim otherwise have about as much knowledge and experience in virology as you and I do.

On 11/5/2021 at 0:31 AM, MidnightDragon said:

Yeah, he fudged the truth.  If that was a sanctionable offense, the League Office would have to stay open 24/7/365 to deal with players and other League personnel who do that.  Because nobody tells the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

On 11/5/2021 at 0:02 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Like I said above, he made what seems to me to be an informed decision based on his own research.  The ramifications of that decision and Rodgers catching COVID don't look good, but I think a lot of the condemnation is because it's "wrongthink" to choose not to be vaccined.  And the "Powers That Be" don't seem to have a problem with shaming people and ratcheting up the social media mobs to try and stiff-arm people into compliance.

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Well, looks like Russ will be back, which means if the NFL goes against everything they've shown us in the past and actually punishes superstar Aaron Rodgers (yeah right) at all I might go into Sundays game with a speck of cautious optimism.

After everybody who got nailed last year?  Or earlier this year?  They'll follow the rules everybody agreed to, and they'll follow it to the letter by dotting every "i" and crossing every "t".  If Rodgers passes all the necessary protocols, they'll let him play; if he doesn't, they won't.

And I find it especially disturbing that this is the story dominating the NFL media.  As opposed to the Las Vegas Raiders, who cut both of their 1st round picks from last year in the previous couple of days.  One because he was waving a gun around and threatening people on video, one because he was drunk off his ass, driving at three times the speed limit, and killed somebody.

The priorities are all fucked up when Aaron Rodgers is the story but Damon Arnette and Henry Ruggs III are afterthoughts.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, acasser said:

And I find it especially disturbing that this is the story dominating the NFL media.  As opposed to the Las Vegas Raiders, who cut both of their 1st round picks from last year in the previous couple of days.  One because he was waving a gun around and threatening people on video, one because he was drunk off his ass, driving at three times the speed limit, and killed somebody.

The priorities are all fucked up when Aaron Rodgers is the story but Damon Arnette and Henry Ruggs III are afterthoughts.

Yeah, if they weren't playing Seattle this week I wouldn't have thought twice about it, just being selfish for my team.

5 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

My lord, last night's officiating, even by NFL's pitiful standards, was disgraceful.  

Yeah it wasn’t the best and this taunting emphasis is just hurting the game as we saw last night, have hated it all season, a pointless emphasis that wasn’t needed 

On 11/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, acasser said:

So, I feel I have to answer this post. I'm going to go in reverse order for the most part, beginning with the worst offense:

I've never really understood the term "gaslighting"...until now. Because man - this is gaslighting, in all of its awful glory. Not only do you provide a counter-narrative that has no real bearing on the issue at hand, it's patently false. The story of Henry Ruggs is ALL OVER THE MEDIA, as it well should be. Hell, I just saw a couple of days ago an "expose" suggesting that the golf range in which Ruggs apparently got drunk should be questioned (for making light of drinking and, ahem, driving). I have seen clips of Ruggs crying FAR MORE than any clip on Aaron Rodgers.

And furthermore, there's a perfectly valid reason that the Ruggs story would ultimately spark little actual discussion; there is no ambiguity in regards to Ruggs. Find me a single person who defends Ruggs' actions. Even Terence Moore would have trouble doing that.

If there's some backstory that the Raiders knew he was hiding bodies of former people he killed, then maybe that's something. But from what I've seen, the Raiders acted appropriately in this situation. Call it CYA, say that they should have been policing him themselves, but I don't think anyone believes, "Nah, the Raiders shouldn't have done anything", and I don't think anyone believes "Nah, Ruggs is getting a bum rap." At most, fans of other teams can laugh at the Raiders for picking up these clowns, but that hardly makes for media coverage. 

Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, is debatable. Now, moving on to that debate:

Yeah, he fudged the truth.  If that was a sanctionable offense, the League Office would have to stay open 24/7/365 to deal with players and other League personnel who do that.  Because nobody tells the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Like I said above, he made what seems to me to be an informed decision based on his own research.  The ramifications of that decision and Rodgers catching COVID don't look good, but I think a lot of the condemnation is because it's "wrongthink" to choose not to be vaccined.  And the "Powers That Be" don't seem to have a problem with shaming people and ratcheting up the social media mobs to try and stiff-arm people into compliance.

But this is the problem. Basically, you're saying we should suspend disbelief when Rodgers "fudges" the truth, but we should buy into his whole, "I'm allergic to the ingredients" shtick as if it issued forth from the mouth of God. Nonsense.

Here's my problem with Aaron Rodgers. There were multiple ways he could have handled the situation, and he took the worst possible one. The best thing he could have done is say, "My medical records are my business and no one else's." I would respect that. Or, he could have told reporters about his "independent research" and his "informed decision" when it was relevant to a question asked. I'm not so big on that one, because...screw these reporters, but that's just me. 

But no - he implied strongly that he was vaccinated. And why did he do this? I have no idea, but I would guess that endorsements played a role. Companies tend not to like anything that might make their poster boy look strange to a large segment of the population. 

Now, ultimately, how does all this play out? There's no vaccine mandate in the NFL that I know of, and as you correctly note, there's little to no penalty for fudging the truth. The only question is whether, through his implication, he put other players in danger by violating protocols. If he did, he should be (or, more properly, should have been) suspended. If he didn't, then he followed the rules as given to him, and no penalty should be handed down. 

And once again, none of this has a lick to do with Henry Ruggs or Damon Arnette, any more than it has to do with the civil war in Ethiopia. The existence of the latter doesn't mean the former isn't worthy of discussion.

But if there is a silver lining for everyone involved, we might see a cessation of at least a portion of those God-awful State Farm commercials. Nothing can stop them, apparently, but maybe some of them will drop out of the rotation now.

• Like 3

I have a difficult time condemning a professional athlete for refusing an experimental treatment. 

- Except it’s not “experimental.” Not even close. Experimental drugs are unproven, but are looking for a Hail Mary save for a Stage Four terminal cancer patient. The COVID vaccines, although new, have old and proven viral technology behind them. Developing the COVID vaccines wasn’t like the Manhattan Project and trying to figure how to build an Atomic Bomb from scratch. It’s more akin to wanting to build a specific atomic bomb for a specific target, but ALREADY knowing how to build the A bomb, just figuring out how much ordinance to use. 
Experimental is a misnomer and reckless misinformation. 

- Second, Rogers and Riggs are completely different situations. Rogers has elevated his persona into celebrity status. Unfortunately, his mug is recognizable in popular culture. So we have a celebrity commenting about the biggest topic of the decade. Nobody outside of football fans know who Ruggs is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

- Except it’s not “experimental.” Not even close. Experimental drugs are unproven, but are looking for a Hail Mary save for a Stage Four terminal cancer patient. The COVID vaccines, although new, have old and proven viral technology behind them. Developing the COVID vaccines wasn’t like the Manhattan Project and trying to figure how to build an Atomic Bomb from scratch. It’s more akin to wanting to build a specific atomic bomb for a specific target, but ALREADY knowing how to build the A bomb, just figuring out how much ordinance to use. 
Experimental is a misnomer and reckless misinformation. 

- Second, Rogers and Riggs are completely different situations. Rogers has elevated his persona into celebrity status. Unfortunately, his mug is recognizable in popular culture. So we have a celebrity commenting about the biggest topic of the decade. Nobody outside of football fans know who Ruggs is. 

Except it is.  It is literally the definition of experimental.  No one knows the long term effects unless you are saying this was intentionally released to the population with the vaccine already developed beforehand.  That's the only way someone may know the long term effects (~ 7 years seems to be the accepted standard)  Clinical trials for this SARS 2 vaccine are still being conducted despite how many millions dosed already?  So yes, it is absolutely experimental, regardless of mandates or how many krispy kreme donuts you're going to get for injecting yourself with this shit.

2nd.  Are you seriously arguing lying about a vaccination status should be headline news more than killing someone?  I kind of see your point, like if it was Lebron, or Tiger Woods, or Brady...best of the best kind of athletes.  I don't think Rodgers is in that category, and not too many people outside of football fans know who he is either

Edited by kinnyman
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, kinnyman said:

Except it is.  It is literally the definition of experimental.  No one knows the long term effects unless you are saying this was intentionally released to the population with the vaccine already developed beforehand.  That's the only way someone may know the long term effects (~ 7 years seems to be the accepted standard)  Clinical trials for this SARS 2 vaccine are still being conducted despite how many millions dosed already?  So yes, it is absolutely experimental, regardless of mandates or how many krispy kreme donuts you're going to get for injecting yourself with this shit.

2nd.  Are you seriously arguing lying about a vaccination status should be headline news more than killing someone?  I kind of see your point, like if it was Lebron, or Tiger Woods, or Brady...best of the best kind of athletes.  I don't think Rodgers is in that category, and not too many people outside of football fans know who he is either

I’ll keep this brief because it’s an NFL thread.

- Again, this is not some sort of a radical medicine. Yes, the COVID vaccine is new, but the vaccine technology is not. The drug makers already had the tool to implement it, they just needed to figure out the blueprint of the COVID virus. So drug makers weren’t starting from scratch. Basically, the gun was built, they just needed to figure out the ammo to hit the specific target. Hence, you get Trump’s cringe-worthy name of “Operation Warp Speed” because they knew the gameplan for the COVID vaccine development. It was developed quicker than typical vaccines because of the enormous amounts of money the US government, (both democrats and republicans), agreed to spend on its development and roll out.
  Long-term vaccine adverse effects for the masses? Our grandparents aren’t suffering ailments today from the Polio vaccine they got in the 1950s. Ditto for the worlds’ population which received smallpox vaccines in the last half of the 20th century. Vaccines are a good thing, despite what Playmate Jenny McCarthy says. It’s one of the greatest achievements in mankind; by erasing diseases which have plagued and killed hundreds of millions of people over centuries. Smallpox, the deadliest disease in human history, is nearly eradicated from this planet due to vaccine technology. 
- “Killing someone?” Newsflash; The COVID virus kills people and has killed more than 750,000 Americans in the last two years. Around 150,000 of those deaths have come since earlier this year, when the vaccine was available to the common population. So basically, the population of Green Bay has died because of false information and internet rumors.
  And nobody knows Aaron Rodgers outside of football? I guess you’re not a Jeopardy fan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

if the rumor's true, how the actual fuck are the Rams still capable of buying everyone?

Because the Rams will be responsible for the pro-rated minimum salary.  And the way the salary cap works, a team can add an endless number of players at minimum salary as the season goes on -- I believe the rule is that a team's cap hit is the combined cap charges of their 53 highest-paid players on the roster (including IR) and anything beyond that technically does not count.  So OBJ is effectively "found money" for the Rams.

A better question is just what the Rams are getting with this acquisition.  If Beckham bawled his way out of Cleveland because he wasn't much a part of the offense, how is that going to change going to a better team with a deeper receiving corps where he doesn't yet know the playbook?  He's probably going to get DeSean Jackson's slot and role, and Jackson whined his way out of Los Angeles because he didn't get the ball enough.  Or really at all -- 7 games played, roughly 1 target per game.

Somebody should have paid the Texans or the Jaguars to claim OBJ on waivers.  That would have been entertaining.  And it probably would have been a better test as to what is important to Beckham, whether it's winning or getting the damn ball.