Are You A Patriotic Person?

Goro

Are You A Patriotic Person?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Are You A Patriotic Person?

My country is a joke, sorry other Aussies but it just is. I do allot of traveling and it never ceases to amaze me how much Aussies complain over the most stupid things. We have this thing called "Aussie Battlers'" which is pretty much the lazy people who can only just afford their smokes and booze. You can be as thick as shit here in Australia and still be over payed doing monkey work that we like to call a trade. To put it mildly, we have it way too easy which I would feel great about if all other countries had it way too easy. I guess we aren't held back by religion or other fantasies, except I think you could officially be a ghost whisperer or psychic. When I was a child, Australia welcomed immigrants and we really started to grow as a country. Everyone was from somewhere else, that was what being an Australian was all about. Now? I really don't know,,,,,, I'm not proud or patriotic.

So much hate and jealousy, it can be pretty lame here. Of course not all people are like that, but I have shitty experience, especially since I come from the capital, which is the most disliked place in the country. My country is really beautiful tho, and I love the nature. I still I can't wait to get out of it, to somewhere new ...

Really? Ljubljana is probably the only place I've liked, though I've always been a city girl. Everywhere else is just farmland upon farmland and I hate it.

I'm not patriotic at all, and I get sick of people (my mother especially) being OFFENDED because of it. They make it out like I hate my country when I actually just don't give a fuck. It's frustrating since those are usually also the people who whine 24/7 about how our country is going to hell. Our flag is ugly too. :(

I'm actually more happy about living in Europe, rather than Slovenia specifically. I feel like the cultural variety has allowed me to pick up languages that I probably wouldn't have in America. I can't imagine how limiting it must feel to only understand English...

Edited by Xhillia
  • Like 1

I say yes because I'm gladly living here. Unless you look at the past, hard to be proud of a place that had blatant slavery and lynchings. But I also say yes because people who hate my country would hate me just as much for being born here, so I'm not going to join them on hating the very life I know.

And it's hard because it's not like I can say this was the land of my ancestors, only Native Americans can say that.

I am patriotic to my nation. I love the United States, it has made many mistakes in its life but with each mistake there have always been attempts to challenge it and to fix it.

I love George Takei speech at TED, it sums up why I am a patriot. Also being a patriot doesn't mean blindly following whatever the nation does, it means you love the nation and you know it can be the best and should it fuck up, you speak up on that mistake and fight to fix it. No single nation in the history of the world is perfect, each nation has committed horrible acts, it is accepting and learning from those experience that makes nations great.

Edited by TheVader66

Really? Ljubljana is probably the only place I've liked, though I've always been a city girl. Everywhere else is just farmland upon farmland and I hate it.

I'm not patriotic at all, and I get sick of people (my mother especially) being OFFENDED because of it. They make it out like I hate my country when I actually just don't give a fuck. It's frustrating since those are usually also the people who whine 24/7 about how our country is going to hell. Our flag is ugly too. :(

I'm actually more happy about living in Europe, rather than Slovenia specifically. I feel like the cultural variety has allowed me to pick up languages that I probably wouldn't have in America. I can't imagine how limiting it must feel to only understand English...

Well, people blame the capital for everything that's wrong with the country. Which is of course stupid, but it is how it is.

I agree about the flag, it's a totally generic Slavic flag that has almost nothing to do with our history. The colours are (kinda) wrong and the coat of arms is meh. The person who made it didn't have a general understanding of our nations history. He just slapped those Pan-Slavic colours on and at the end everybody was happy about us having a Russian flag :D

• 6 months later...

I voted no, because "Patriotic" in America means being up to date or involved with politics in someway, and Politicians (Republicans and Democrats) are basically just Satan in a suit, and I can't ever see myself getting behind any of these liars and thieves. I like the idea of my country, but I'm disgusted with the tyrants who run it.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get why a load of these replies say that where you come from is forced upon you. Nothing is forced upon you, it's your nationality and if you don't like it so much, stop moaning about it and move to a place that you do like, although with such a view in the first place, that might be hard for you all to do.

I'm proud of where I come from, I would gladly save my queen without a second thought if it was required, I respect the fallen for 2 minutes every November 11th, I fly my national flag on April 23rd, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I've been lucky to have been born here. There is nothing wrong with that surely?. Every country has its flaws, find me a perfect country and I'll show you a pile of rocking horse shit. Maybe I've just been born in a different era. 

• Like 1

Yes very much so, I served 9 years in the military and come from a family with fairly strong military background so I do think that has had an impact on my outlook. Im very proud to be a British Englishman (and I put them in that order) who is also very proud of his recently adopted country down under. 
That doesn't mean I'm intolerant of other people/races though my wife for example is neither white or British she's a very proud ozzie of south vietnamese origin though who would love one day for the country of her parents to be free again.

• Like 2

Yes very much so, I served 9 years in the military and come from a family with fairly strong military background so I do think that has had an impact on my outlook. Im very proud to be a British Englishman (and I put them in that order) who is also very proud of his recently adopted country down under. 

That doesn't mean I'm intolerant of other people/races though my wife for example is neither white or British she's a very proud ozzie of south vietnamese origin though who would love one day for the country of her parents to be free again.

Moved from the mother land to the convict country, nice lol.
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...