Are You A Patriotic Person?

Goro

Are You A Patriotic Person?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Are You A Patriotic Person?

British, Yes because it's where i was brought up in and i can' really force myself to think the oppsite

16 hours ago, Gooboid said:

Patriotism in the UK is essentially synonymous with overt racism. Most groups obsessed with flying the flag also involve themselves with protests about immigration, etc. For me, personally, the Union Flag represents an awful empire with a terrible history. Whereas the Saint George’s Cross has been co-opted by those who want to “keep England English”. However, my city has a pretty cool flag. spacer.png

oh god, you're right, 

Homer Bush GIFs | Tenor

i don't wish to be associated with those far-right individuals and groups (I'm center-left for the record)

• Like 1

Interesting question.

I'd say I am, I hang a US flag outside my house.  I don't love everything about the country and I don't think you have to, to be patriotic.  While things have never been perfect, US politics have become a reality contest and an absolute joke since the 2016 elections and frankly that dim-witted, entitled, arrogant mentality has had a ripple effect in the people here... on all sides of the table.  When someone gets to the highest spot in the country for basically no other reason than being half the countries favorite reality TV host and inciting shit-slinger on Twitter, things just aren't fucking working anymore.

That being said, I love and respect our first responders, police and military/armed forces.  I won't always agree with where they are or what they're doing, hell they probably don't either all of the time... but on a personal/individual level I'm grateful for the comfortable life I live thanks to them, that many of them do fight (physically and/or mentally) and given their lives for the earnest values that have given me the opportunities I've had and still have.  Other countries have equally brave people fighting for their countries and communities, and people living happy productive lives, sure... but this is where I live, this is where I grew up, this is most likely where I'll die.  If I can't appreciate or take at least some pride in what's around me... what's the point.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

No, I like the place where I live, I love my family and friends. But that's it, the State and goverment have always been a disgrace, there is a ton of people in my country that are the worst representation of a human, and so on. So no, I would not give my life for my country.

• Like 1

No, I am not a patriotic guy. I cannot complain about the life I have in my country and despite all the crap happening around in Mexico, I have not been involved in some shit like narco, cartels and that shit. However, patriotism is an useless exercise, at least for me. But if someone is feeling patriotic about their country, I will never say, "dude, that's so wrong".

No. Like many before me, I do appreciate the fact that I happened to be born in a wealthy enough country. I have a good life, but I can clearly see the injustices that lead to many hear not having such a good life. I realize many, many other places have it way worse than here. I work hard in what I do, and it used to be something to be proud of. Politics in my country have turned my career into something that people attack any chance they get. I no longer tell people what I do for a living, as it has led to verbal abuse in the past. Do I appreciate my country, and the life it's afforded me...sure. Do I like living here? It's OK. That said, I would move to a number of other countries if I had the means to, and I would be just fine never seeing this place again. 

I've never really liked the term patriotism because excessive patriotism tends to make people stupid. But I live in one of the wealthiest, freest, most tolerant societies that's maybe ever existed, so it's hard to not be proud and grateful for that.

Edited by zaxonzaxon

On 8/22/2015 at 10:27 PM, Goro said:

Another random poll :D 

Basically, are you proud of your nationality, or not?

Well, not really. I am German, that's for sure. I'm genuinely grateful to have a German passport, which allows me to live in one of the safest, freest, wealthiest, and most democratic countries on the planet. But proud? Not really! How can one be proud of something they haven't actually achieved themselves? Simply being born in a certain place isn't an accomplishment; it's more of a privilege (or sometimes, depending on the country, a misfortune). I do value having a German passport, but "pride" isn't a part of my character. It just doesn't quite make sense, does it?

• Like 1

To all the people answering "no", are you not proud of what your fathers, and fathers of your friends and neighbours, and fathers of people you meet and greet on the streets, in the shops, pubs and theatres built and achieved? It not just "hurr I was born here so I live here", no, you are the lifeblood of the land, you are shaping the world around you as much as the world shapes you.
It is really sad that so many people think this way and are perfectly fine with corporations, foreigners and political grifters erasing the soul and heart of your homeland. No matter where you are from, be it USA, Finland, Mongolia or Madagascar, be proud of where you are from, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Edited by czDante92
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2023 at 8:03 PM, czDante92 said:

To all the people answering "no", are you not proud of what your fathers, and fathers of your friends and neighbours, and fathers of people you meet and greet on the streets, in the shops, pubs and theatres built and achieved?

My country was built on the backs of slaves, and their owners' descendants still represent the ruling class. So no, I am not proud of my country.

What I am proud though is of the incredible resilience my family, and my family's family, and their families developed to survive in this world. So I am actually proud of most of my city's people, its culture and way of living. It's how they survived through generations of inhumane and "proud" outsiders.

PS.: I am not American.

Edited by Eblait
  • Like 1

I'd be indecisive with the answer 5-10 years ago but looking how things are in other countries now I feel like I'm living in one of the best countries in the world.

1. True democracy. Some election results made me thought that this level of democracy should actually be reduced.
  2. Real freedom of speech. In most western democracies who like to pretend that they are most liberal countries in the world freedom of speech ends right when you deviate from mainstream pseudo-liberal agenda. In Ukraine you can still say your true opinion about any controversial topics and don't care about any fools trying to "cancel" you on social media.
  3. Strongest army in Europe. You may argue that there are a few EU countries with nuclear weapons, more tanks/planes and big fleet but it's the only army in Europe that is actually capable of fighting, period.
  4. Most beautiful women in Europe. Not just my personal opinion, heard it from many foreigners that visit Ukraine.
  5. One of the tastiest cuisine in the world. Visit any average restaurant in any town/city and you will get one of the best meals you've ever tasted. If you are from rich country it will also be one of the cheapest meals you've ever tasted.
  6. Last but not least, climate. There used to be hot summers and cold snowy winters, just as it should be. Now winters are less cold which is good IMO. Nature is beautiful. 

What else is needed to consider yourself a patriotic person, answer is definitely "Yes". It's kinda sad to see poll results.

Edited by KingSkovald

On 10/31/2023 at 2:16 AM, El Duderino said:

Well, not really. I am German, that's for sure. I'm genuinely grateful to have a German passport, which allows me to live in one of the safest, freest, wealthiest, and most democratic countries on the planet. But proud? Not really! How can one be proud of something they haven't actually achieved themselves? Simply being born in a certain place isn't an accomplishment; it's more of a privilege (or sometimes, depending on the country, a misfortune). I do value having a German passport, but "pride" isn't a part of my character. It just doesn't quite make sense, does it?

That was he says! And in germany we say:

Das unterschreibe ich 1zu1. 

• 1 month later...