Are You A Patriotic Person?

Goro

Are You A Patriotic Person?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Are You A Patriotic Person?

5 minutes ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

Of course i am.

I'm proud of being Polish. Love this guy especially. His name is Józef Piłsudski. I love him because he never gave up. He was imprisoned by Germans (Prussians). He was imprisoned by Russians. His captors destroyed his teeths while torturing him (hence his famous mustache he always had). That didn't stop him. He was burdened by history of failed uprising attempts of our nation. But that only made his resolve stronger. He just wanted to give up his life for our country, like many before him. Fate had different plans for him. He used World World I as an opportunity. He achived impossible. In 1918, 123 years after Poland lost it's independence because of partitions, he announced that Poland is an independent country again. Bolsheviks were busy killing Romanov family back then. Afterwards they decided that Europe should be red and this guy fucked them so bad in 1920 that we are calling that moment Miracle at the Vistula (Vistula being main river of Poland). 
I'm proud that even when our neighbors decided to destroy us, our poets, novelists and composers kept Poland alive in hearts of polish people. You probably never heard about Mickiewicz but some of you might have heard about Chopin. He left our country just to make Poland famous with his music and today even the Japs are making tributes to his music with video games like Eternal Sonata, meaning that our culture is timeless, just like anime tiddies.

spacer.png

Well said fellow Pole, the history, persistence and the determination of our people make me proud of our nation. 

I immigrated to the United States a long, long time ago. My wife is from the United States. My children were born here. My opportunities arose from here. My cozy lifestyle is enabled by the US. A lot of the things I enjoy in life come from the US. I own land here. You damn right I would fight for this country, without hesitation. I am very patriotic.

Does the US have extremely stupid people? Yes. Do they have a lot of ignorance and embarrassing displays of ineptitude? Yes. Has the US made dubious decisions in the past? Yes. Has any country in the world not done any of these things? No. Too many people allow fools to convince them that the US can be represented by one or two idiots from one or two locations. The US is huge and differs vastly from East to West, North to South.

Meanwhile, the United States is truly free. You can drive around in a clapped out rusted 1981 Dodge Pickup with a bumper sticker claiming the most ignorant, vile shit and nobody can tell you otherwise. In the United States, you can start your own business with the dumbest prospectus ever and drive yourself into the ground if you wanted to; nobody can tell you otherwise. You can also start an online bookstore and end up turning it into one of the largest e-commerce companies in the world. You can stand in the middle of the street and hold up a sign saying the President sucks ass, whoever it may be at the time, while stereo-typically blaming him for gas prices. You can learn a trade and provide for your entire family without ever getting a degree, all while building your own house on a piece of land somewhere.

The US has simultaneously designed a family EV that can go 0-60 in sub-3 seconds, while also bolting on a 3-liter super charger to a 6.2 liter V8 and crank out a ridiculous 1025 HP Challenger Demon 170 running on E85. It's ridiculous, but it's also very American, and I love it.

Right now, the (online, mostly..) division here is strong and regretful, but when the shit hits the fan and the land is threatened, the US comes together and transforms into this unstoppable juggernaut both literally and figuratively. It's hard to fully understand until you've lived here for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jeanolt said:

Many countries do, I don't think is something specific to only one. Most western countries do.

I mean, that's true. But over 50 countries (every not free country) don't have freedom of speech, and a lot that are partly free have a ton of curtails. And a rare freedom of expression that the USA allows is flag-desecration. I personally don't want to desecrate the USA flag, but it's protected speech. There are some other countries like Australia, Belgium, Canada, etc that allow flag-desecrating as well. But France, Germany, Finland, Greece and some other countries considered free outlaw it.

That's all I will say right now since I don't want to veer off-topic. Most would say that because I support the right of flag-desecration means I'm not a patriot. I can live with that, as I don't consider myself a patriot anyway.

1 hour ago, PIOTREK27-1982 said:

You probably never heard about Mickiewicz but some of you might have heard about Chopin. He left our country just to make Poland famous with his music

I totally forgot Chopin was polish. In my opinion, he's the best classical composer to have ever lived and you're totally right about his reputation. His music is timeless.

Absolutely, let me elaborate: 

That’s right, I pledge allegiance to the state of rock n’ roll.

"Leave me alone, don't want your promises no more
'Cause rock and roll is my religion and my law
Won't ever change, may think it's strange
I'm born to rock and roll, I'm here to stay, yeah"

The only flag I'll carry is for rock n' roll. 😉

Edited by DizzyDavidson

I used to read about other countries since I was a kid, and thought of myself as a "citizen of the world" pretty much as long as I can remember. 

I'm patriotic in only one way: I want my country and people's lives to improve. Aside from that, I'm not.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

As someone unfortunately born and raised in Venezuela, y’all have no idea how good you have had so far.

Having said that, there’s absolutely no reason to be proud or feel any kind and feeling other than apathy or dread about my country of origin. If anything, having that nationality is more of a curse than anything else. 

7 minutes ago, XchocomanX said:

As someone unfortunately born and raised in Venezuela, y’all have no idea how good you have had so far.

Having said that, there’s absolutely no reason to be proud or feel any kind and feeling other than apathy or dread about my country of origin. If anything, having that nationality is more of a curse than anything else. 

Come on, don't be so negative, there must be some good sides to it. Like, the tropical climate is probably nice. And the chicks are pretty, too! Seriously though, what's so bad about being from Venezuela?

3 hours ago, ChiefMichigan said:

There are some other countries like Australia, Belgium, Canada, etc that allow flag-desecrating as well. But France, Germany, Finland, Greece and some other countries considered free outlaw it.

As a German, that's news to me, I know of no such law.

Since I'm here: No, the very concept of patriotism is utterly alien to me. I am proud of what I achieved, not of what the institution that happens to hold authority over the place I live has done. They are just a necessity of life.

1 hour ago, Remiferia said:

Sorry for the late reply, reached my post count for yesterday.

Okay, look, because you're apparently really unable to understand my previous text... Or just don't want to:

You're derailing it too much into the racism way for some reason unknown to me and not related to my comment. While I even told you, to not ignore the context. I said, that I'm buying medication on the internet, becaue nobody cares. I put "normal" under quotation marks because I'm autistic and get bullied all my life for being "not normal". Nobody cares about autistic people, especially when they have some specific other issue, I'm not going to mention, the majority sadly doesn't understand - which is why I'm buying medication on the internet. I don't get what this has to do with ghettos or anything.

Anyway, my posting was NOT about racism, but about that people don't care about people in need. I do understand though why you don't understand that, because you're apparently German AND consider the Austrian FPOe apparently "mildly" right-wing. So, this leads to the assumption, that you're an AFD voter. A party that had/has people like Frauke Petry or Beatrix von Storch, who are openly talking about shooting refugees at the EU-border.

...Is this "mildly" right wing for you? I'm sorry, but If that still isn't "far right" to you then WHAT is??

Also, you have a pepe frog as avatar, while you continue to misunderstand (or maybe you do and try do derail it on purpose) my comment even after I told you how I meant it. In addition to that you whiteknight literal nazis... A German court decided that you're legally allowed to call Björn Höcke a Nazi.
THINK! That's not "mildly" right wing.

Well, that brings me to the conclusion that further communication with you is pointless and I'm done with you.
I at least hope other people understand now HOW I actually meant my initial comment.

It's absolutely incredible how much negativity people can fantasize into a short text like my initial comment.
But to be honest...That's a REALLY negative first impression of this place.

I guess talking about personal Patriotism is dangerously close to political and similar issues which influence it. But I had to say I’m so sorry for what you go through with Autism. It is truly a difficult affliction, and has been dealt with on these forums with compassion and respect. Hope things go better for you and others living with hardships in their respective countries at this time in world history!

7 hours ago, Remiferia said:

Sorry for the late reply, reached my post count for yesterday.

Okay, look, because you're apparently really unable to understand my previous text... Or just don't want to:

Bro, you were the one who singled out white people in the first place and then went on to talk about right wing parties or whatever. If you want to talk about autism then don't bring up race and controversial political parties and then accuse people of "not being able to understand you". Not going to reply to the rest of your post as you are making wild assumptions about my political affiliation based on a pepe avatar, which is ridiculous.

Not really. Don't get me wrong, I loved living in Australia but I won't be proudly waving the flag or cheering for my country at the Olympics. I've been living in China since 2019 and although I miss Australia sometimes, it's got nothing to do with freedom of speech, politics, etc. Maybe I'll feel something towards my next adopted country when we move to America in 2025/26