Are You A Patriotic Person?

Goro

Are You A Patriotic Person?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Are You A Patriotic Person?

No, nothing seems more silly to me then being proud of something that was forced upon you. 

I was born in England because of luck of the draw. 

I didn't choose be born here.

I was just lucky enough to be born in a 1st world country, I'm not proud of that. 

Happy about it, I feel lucky. I don't feel proud though. ;)

Edited by AlphaTrash
  • Like 4

I dont understand how you can be proud about something you got forced too.

But however, no I dont like my country. Basicly because the people and their need to interpret stupid isms in everything you say. "ohhh, you dont like Austria? Thats racism! GTFO! Our land for OUR people" and stuff... meh.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on how so. I'm 3/4 British and born and raised in England. I'm more than happy with this fact and I'm glad I am, but I'm not patriotic as such as I couldn't give less of a shit about the royal family or anything. Also England isn't exactly the best place ever so I'm not inclined to defend it in an argument or anything xD

Edited by Makise Kurisu

If you can't be proud about who you are how can you be proud about anything else?

There's a bad side to everything, nothing only positive.

I dont see a connection between that. When you would be born in a thirdworld country instead, would you be proud about that? I bet you would want to move to an other country. Oh and, all that people fleeing to Europe because the terrorismshit in their homecountries should stay there and die in proudness because everything else would be a lie, or what? :facepalm:

• Like 2

Meh, sorta.

There's lots of good about my country but also lots of bad (like I would imagine happens with many if not all countries). I like the good weather, the food, and the (mostly) nice people, but I dislike the fact that we're always behind everyone else on everything, tons of stuff are done willy-nilly and a lot of people are really shortsighted, if not completely moronic.

But overall I would say yes, I like my country. There's tons of shitty stuff about it, but there's also lots of good and it's my only home.

• Like 1

Patriotism as a concept only really has traction in parts of the former British Empire and in France. Everywhere else, it comes out only when it's World Cup and Olympics time, then the goofy facepaint and flag-themed clothing makes an appearance. Which is amusing, because it sends the message that the only thing they've accomplished as a culture that is worth celebrating is their sports teams. :P

• Like 1

It's a love/hate relationship I have with my country. I feel a lot of pride when I feel we are one as a nation. Yeah, it happens a lot when it comes to sport, dunno how that's supposed to be funny. But okay. Sadly my fellow countrymen can be so fucking thick and backwards that I kinda don't like being amongst them. So much hate and jealousy, it can be pretty lame here. Of course not all people are like that, but I have shitty experience, especially since I come from the capital, which is the most disliked place in the country. My country is really beautiful tho, and I love the nature. I still I can't wait to get out of it, to somewhere new ...

And people saying you can't be proud of something you were forced in to. Why shouldn't you be proud of your roots? It's not hard to feel attached to the place you grow up at. And that's where the sense of pride comes from.

• Like 1

I honestly don't really care. I like living in Belgium, but if for example our country would split in two and the northern part joins Netherlands and the southern part would join France, i'd have no problem with calling myself a dutchie... 

The only thing i feel sort of proud of is the things that belgium is known for. Like our chocolate or fries.

In the future i could see myself moving to another country if the opportunity for arises...

I consider myself extremely lucky to live where I do, but that's all it was - luck. My country is not perfect and my government has done things I'm ashamed of, and I certainly don't feel any special affinity or sense of loyalty to a particular patch of earth, penned in by non-existent imaginary lines drawn on a map, just because I happened to be born there.

I think the biggest problem with patriotism is that, much like religion, it's easy to misuse and exploit it for political purposes. I don't often post quotes (they can come across as a bit pretentious!), but there is one that has resonated with me ever since I read it because it pretty much sums up my feelings on the topic:

"You'll never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race." George Bernard Shaw

• Like 1