Are You A Patriotic Person?

Goro

Are You A Patriotic Person?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Are You A Patriotic Person?

I am proud of my country. I'm Dutch. I wasn't born here out of luck, i was born here because my parents and grandparents, and my friend's grandparents and all their grandparents worked their entire lives to create this amazing country. I'm proud that i can be apart of this. Now that i'm in my twenties and i realise how hard ''real'' life is, it makes me even more grateful that people choose to have children and choose to do all this work instead of the bear minimum for themselves.

I won't deny that there are things wrong which my country, such as the horrid housing crises, or the total failure of our government, where for instance due to failed bureaucracy people were accused of tax evasion and in the worst cases no longer able to care for their kids (in this divided world here everyone agrees they messed up, that's quite the achievement).

We've also build so much, we have a fairly equal system economic system, we are doing rather well against climate chance in my opinion, we have high taxes but our roads are very good, our architecture is nice and every meter of land is micromanaged making the Netherlands simply work and look very nice. I'm also proud that my little overflowing buffer state became a powerhouse that is now equal to the bigger countries around us. I'm even proud of our king. They take care of historical buildings which are open to the public, they are top diplomats and in some countries sending your king really helps to honour them and it results in better cooperation. Kings day is one of my favourite festive days and i love the overall mindset of my people. We speak our mind, and when there is an event we are always in a ridiculously fun mood with old songs that no sane person would like we all sing from the top of our lungs, dressed in full orange. This years F1 for example was a rainy, grey day. In between races, or when they were cancelled for bad weather everyone partied like they were on a festival in perfect weather.

So yeah, i'm patriotic. Not in the sense of feeling superior over others, but i'm very glad to be part of our well oiled machine.

• Like 1

I’m patriotically Australian but not overly so. I personally loathe Vegemite and Who Can It Be Now? is Men At Work’s best song, not Down Under.

I could go on really but I’m not sure I’d like to be yapping here for too long.

5 minutes ago, Dry said:

I’m patriotically Australian but not overly so. I personally loathe Vegemite and Who Can It Be Now? is Men At Work’s best song, not Down Under.

How dare you not love our national spread, that not only goes nicely on sandwiches but saves you from drop bears. You disgust me lol

Jk, it means more Vegemite for me 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Remiferia said:

...What? You misunderstood me, very obviously even. The sentence you marked and the sentence afterwards are two seperate statements not related to each other. You could have guessed it by the context of the rest of my text, but instead you chose to do... whatever this assumption here is supposed to be.

Also, for your information, our far-right party really isn't "mildly" right-wing.

How is it misunderstood? You claim life for white people is good which implies that it's not the case for non white people. We also must have different opinions about what constitutes a far right party. 

I love the revival of decade old threads. This is hilarious. 

I'm saw a clip on a previous page of George Takei saying, "Why I love a country that once betrayed me." For context, during WWII, the USA put all Americans with Japanese ethnicity in makeshift prisons out of mass paranoia. A horrible thing to do. It was a knee-jerk reaction to the Pearl Harbor attack.

I'm like George: old and gay. I'll never understand this gay zoomer trend of hating, and even fearing, the American flag. Do some hateful people wave the American flag and do hateful things in the name of America? Absolutely, but it's not even remotely on the level they make it out to be. These gen z gays are being no different than the American public was towards it's own citizens during WWII.

I actually hate the pride flag. The pride flag is divisive and only further proves to segregate us gays from the rest of the populace. The American flag stands for freedom and the pursuit of happiness for EVERYONE. The American flag is the original pride flag, and you're damn right I'm proud of my country. My spouse of almost 9 years, who was born and raised in Guadalajara, Jalisco, is also proud to be an American....almost...he'll be a citizen pretty soon here.

1 hour ago, Dry said:

Best Australian band by far is ACDC. Influenced an entire genre. Bon Scott is the only true ACDC frontman, though. Man was a legend. RIP Scott. Your love for booze and big women was your downfall. 

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Qjotr said:

I am proud of my country. I'm Dutch. I wasn't born here out of luck, i was born here because my parents and grandparents, and my friend's grandparents and all their grandparents worked their entire lives to create this amazing country. I'm proud that i can be apart of this. Now that i'm in my twenties and i realise how hard ''real'' life is, it makes me even more grateful that people choose to have children and choose to do all this work instead of the bear minimum for themselves.

I won't deny that there are things wrong which my country, such as the horrid housing crises, or the total failure of our government, where for instance due to failed bureaucracy people were accused of tax evasion and in the worst cases no longer able to care for their kids (in this divided world here everyone agrees they messed up, that's quite the achievement).

We've also build so much, we have a fairly equal system economic system, we are doing rather well against climate chance in my opinion, we have high taxes but our roads are very good, our architecture is nice and every meter of land is micromanaged making the Netherlands simply work and look very nice. I'm also proud that my little overflowing buffer state became a powerhouse that is now equal to the bigger countries around us. I'm even proud of our king. They take care of historical buildings which are open to the public, they are top diplomats and in some countries sending your king really helps to honour them and it results in better cooperation. Kings day is one of my favourite festive days and i love the overall mindset of my people. We speak our mind, and when there is an event we are always in a ridiculously fun mood with old songs that no sane person would like we all sing from the top of our lungs, dressed in full orange. This years F1 for example was a rainy, grey day. In between races, or when they were cancelled for bad weather everyone partied like they were on a festival in perfect weather.

So yeah, i'm patriotic. Not in the sense of feeling superior over others, but i'm very glad to be part of our well oiled machine.

Hello my dutch friend!

I find this very beautifully written. I feel similar to you, although I come from the neighborhood.

I was born and raised in 1993 in germany.

although we in europe always complain about our neighbors, i think that every country in europe contributes its share to our community. I like to travel and everybody seems so nice around here :) 

what i love about my country is that i don't have to worry about anything. No matter what happens, I get help and a place to live, money and food.

Edited by vsvpl1501
  • Like 3

Even ignoring my distaste for my country (or at least the extreme loathing I feel towards the people who run it, and some of the people in it), I personally don't see the point in being patriotic whatsoever. It's like only liking a sports team exclusively because of them being your home team, and for no other reason than that (especially when they suck ass). I'd rather retire to a nice big beach, with a nice big drink, and a woman with nice... big... bags of ice for my head.

I can get liking certain things about one's country, especially culturally or historically speaking, but I don't know if I'd consider that patriotism either. Then again, the word might've just been tainted too much for me by certain groups of self-proclaimed "patriotic" people. lol

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, vsvpl1501 said:

Hello my dutch friend!

I find this very beautifully written. I feel similar to you, although I come from the neighborhood.

I was born and raised in 1933 in germany.

although we in europe always complain about our neighbors, i think that every country in europe contributes its share to our community. I like to travel and everybody seems so nice around here :) 

what i love about my country is that i don't have to worry about anything. No matter what happens, I get help and a place to live, money and food.

Holy crap. You're 90 years old? That's awesome. Game on, gramps.

Oh, you were born in 1993, not 1933. Very confusing. That would be awesome to have a 90 year old gamer as a regular user on the forums. I used to love hearing stories from people around that age when I was an in-home service tech. Even met a holocaust survivor once. Pretty amazing. 

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome

On 8/22/2015 at 10:42 PM, AlphaTrash said:

No, nothing seems more silly to me then being proud of something that was forced upon you. 

I was born in England because of luck of the draw. 

I didn't choose be born here.

I was just lucky enough to be born in a 1st world country, I'm not proud of that. 

Happy about it, I feel lucky. I don't feel proud though. ;)

i'm right there with you. i love living in germany but i also feel lucky about my situation rather than proud.

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Holy crap. You're 90 years old? That's awesome. Game on, gramps.

90 in writting in english ;)

but usually 30

2 hours ago, Qjotr said:

Brought a tear to my eye. 

• Like 1

Up to the extent that I believe in beautifying my communities, helping a fellow out and lobbying for the freedoms of my fellow Aussies (Assange, Davide McBride & Duggen) from the criminal U.S government. A sort of put more into the world than I take out mentality.

I don't believe patriotism is the terms which established politics would tell me to behave accordingly. Such parameters are set by me.

I'll always love Argentina, despite our countless problems. I'm proud to be from this little corner of the world and I feel I learned a lot from this perspective. I'll always remember it in the future, living in other countries, which is my plan; but I can't hope for nothing but growth and the restoration of our economy & society while I'm gone. 

The experience from the world cup last year was something most people will never experience, so I'm really happy I was here to do it.

• Like 1

Personally no in terms of the country I was born in. I'm more patriotic of the countries my ancestors immigrated from if I'm honest. 

Yes the UK has done some great things and some truly amazing people have been British but I'm ashamed to be a citizen of the country. 

In terms of my ancestor's countries, Russia and Poland... I'll skip over Russia to avoid that conversation, but I would say I am more patriotic of Poland than the UK. I don't even consider myself as British, that's how unpatriotic I am to be frank. 

• Like 1

Patriotism in the UK is essentially synonymous with overt racism. Most groups obsessed with flying the flag also involve themselves with protests about immigration, etc. For me, personally, the Union Flag represents an awful empire with a terrible history. Whereas the Saint George’s Cross has been co-opted by those who want to “keep England English”. However, my city has a pretty cool flag. spacer.png

• Like 1